Transbaviaans 2022

DKS

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am utterly and deeply saddened- I am/was looking so forward to this weekend. But I simply cannot consider riding 230km in the rain. I am truly happy for the area given the current devastating drought - but destroying 2 bikes I am accountable for to maintain by riding on peanut butter for 15 hours - is not my cup of tea. If it rains - add (I think) 2 - 3 hours to your ride.  Also as the news letter states - the last 5km next to the railway track is under dry conditions a semi mud bath - imagine with rain!! 

Edited by pedal menace

9 hours ago, pedal menace said:

Ok - so I checked the weather report this morning for this coming Saturday. YIKES!!!! NOT GOOD!! 

Yes I know it is still a few days away and may change

Yes I know there are those that will love riding 230km in rain, icy cold weather and muddy conditions. 

Me - not so much. I have vivid, albeit VERY BAD, memories of one of my TBs where it was pouring with rain the last 50km and it was freezingly cold. I personally have ZERO intentions of repeating that. So far - rain is predicted the whole day with VERY cold temperatures. As it will be and my son - this  could likely result in having to replace of 2 x cassettes, 2 x chains, 2 x drivetrains, 4 x wheel bearings. That will be R25k+ easily. NOT WORTH IT!! 

So...although we have everything booked - we may go down and just have a few days break and skip this magnificent event. I am well aware many of you will differ from me - but it is what it is. 230km in the predicted weather is different than just a 40km - 60km ride.

Wise call & I envy the guys that can bail on the last minute like this, but I agree it's not worth it. All the races I've ever done in rain & mud has always ended in tears for months to follow after paying off that repair bill.

6 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

Wise call & I envy the guys that can bail on the last minute like this, but I agree it's not worth it. All the races I've ever done in rain & mud has always ended in tears for months to follow after paying off that repair bill.

I spoke to my LBS after Round the Pot.

One of his clients two bikes were ready for collection.  Pre race services, and then the repairs after the mud fest in Swellendam was a tidy R10k.  

2 hours ago, pedal menace said:

I am utterly and deeply saddened- I am/was looking so forward to this weekend. But I simply cannot consider riding 230km in the rain. I am truly happy for the area given the current devastating drought - but destroying 2 bikes I am accountable for to maintain by riding on peanut butter for 15 hours - is not my cup of tea. If it rains - add (I think) 2 - 3 hours to your ride.  Also as the news letter states - the last 5km next to the railway track is under dry conditions a semi mud bath - imagine with rain!! 

I doubt it will mess up your drive train that badly. I mean it is normal dirt roads, in fact a bit of rain will probably help the dust to settle. 

This is the 4th time I've entered - previous 3 times neve made it to he start for one or other reason. Come hell or high water I'm doing it this time, if I don't I'll never get it done and the monkey will sit on my shoulder until the end of time

1 hour ago, madmarc said:

This is the 4th time I've entered - previous 3 times neve made it to he start for one or other reason. Come hell or high water I'm doing it this time, if I don't I'll never get it done and the monkey will sit on my shoulder until the end of time

right water from high it will be.

Yeah, I don't get that at all. I ride bikes to have an adventure, to have an experience, to get out of my comfort zone. That's the purpose of the event for me. If anything the rain adds to that. So what if it's tough? Toughness just adds to the story.

If you are racing to actually win, then you have to suck up the conditions as it'll be affecting everyone and having the best of the best makes sense and being willing to sacrifice that expense is part of the game. If you aren't riding to win (which 1100 of the 1200 of us on the start line aren't) then you enter this knowing it's a challenge. It's a stretch, it's tough, but there's some imaginary self-imposed tougness limit that you won't cross? Because you're a badass, dirt munching, climb conquering descent destroying mountainbiker that loves the outdoors and experiencing unfiltered, real life... as long as it's within your comfort zone?

If you buy a Lambo, but never drive it  because you're nervous about replacing the tyres, something happening to the engine or taking it for a service, then you can't afford a Lambo. Which is why I ride a rigid steel bike that I fix myself that I'd most likely ride Single Speed for this if I wasn't doing this with non-SS team mates, because even if I drag it through  swamp for 12 hours a new BB / wheel bearings is within my reach. Luckily my drivetrain is poegaai as it is, so it'll be making the journey regardless. Similarly, if you decide to ride a bike with a R1k chain, a R4k cassette, a R2.5k derailleur that can only be serviced by grease-angels in Switzerland then you should be OK with demolishing it.

I might be an anomaly here, but if the tool is stopping you from doing the job, then it isn't a tool anymore it's a hindrance. A bike is supposed to be a tool. Once it becomes too precious that you don't ride it some days, or under certain conditions, or don't put it down anywhere there isn't a velvet rug to protect it, it ceases to serve its purpose to me. 

Edited by TyronLab

2 hours ago, madmarc said:

Unless someone that spent years at uni instructs you that you are physically incapable of standing on the startline on the 20th, you can. Be that guy! Don't make me stand there alone in the pissing rain! 😄

30 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

Yeah, I don't get that at all. I ride bikes to have an adventure, to have an experience, to get out of my comfort zone. That's the purpose of the event for me. If anything the rain adds to that. So what if it's tough? Toughness just adds to the story.

If you are racing to actually win, then you have to suck up the conditions as it'll be affecting everyone and having the best of the best makes sense and being willing to sacrifice that expense is part of the game. If you aren't riding to win (which 1100 of the 1200 of us on the start line aren't) then you enter this knowing it's a challenge. It's a stretch, it's tough, but there's some imaginary self-imposed tougness limit that you won't cross? Because you're a badass, dirt munching, climb conquering descent destroying mountainbiker that loves the outdoors and experiencing unfiltered, real life... as long as it's within your comfort zone?

If you buy a Lambo, but never drive it  because you're nervous about replacing the tyres, something happening to the engine or taking it for a service, then you can't afford a Lambo. Which is why I ride a rigid steel bike that I fix myself that I'd most likely ride Single Speed for this if I wasn't doing this with non-SS team mates, because even if I drag it through  swamp for 12 hours a new BB / wheel bearings is within my reach. Luckily my drivetrain is poegaai as it is, so it'll be making the journey regardless. Similarly, if you decide to ride a bike with a R1k chain, a R4k cassette, a R2.5k derailleur that can only be serviced by grease-angels in Switzerland then you should be OK with demolishing it.

I might be an anomaly here, but if the tool is stopping you from doing the job, then it isn't a tool anymore it's a hindrance. A bike is supposed to be a tool. Once it becomes too precious that you don't ride it some days, or under certain conditions, or don't put it down anywhere there isn't a velvet rug to protect it, it ceases to serve its purpose to me. 

Preach Brother @TyronLab preach, can I get a hallelujah !!!

7 hours ago, TyronLab said:

Unless someone that spent years at uni instructs you that you are physically incapable of standing on the startline on the 13th, you can. Be that guy! Don't make me stand there alone in the pissing rain! The 20th is going to be a pleasant sunny day without any wind, rain, sleet, hail, snow 😄

I corrected it for you