Transbaviaans 2022

DKS

Hope it’s not to early to start this group up.

I might just be over eager, but have entered the race, and looking to complete my first TB, 

As always, will be good to have the forum for useful tips and motivation as we go along. 

First question I have is best accommodation options for the night before?

Cheers

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, DKS said:

As close as possible to the start line

9 hours ago, DKS said:

Hope it’s not to early to start this group up.

I might just be over eager, but have entered the race, and looking to complete my first TB, 

As always, will be good to have the forum for useful tips and motivation as we go along. 

Cheers

If you are not fuzzy about accommodation book a room at the hostel. We have stayed there on 4 previous races and enjoyed it. Dinner and breakfast included. 

I stayed at the tented accommodation last year.

It actually worked out pretty well. We got the the option with bedding included but thank goodness we brought our sleeping bags and extra blankets, it was the coldest night of my life.

Will most likely do it again this year. It's hassle free and you get everything you need from charging lockers, coffee station and facilities to braai.

I just entered the Repeat - this is the 3rd time I'm entering and hopefully will get to do it this time, both previous entries we had to sell due to some or other reason at the last moment.

2022 hopefully will be the year we get this monkey off our shoulders.

Never done it - definitely bucket list race.

How much training does it take to complete without dying?

Is there any difference between the race and the repeat? And is the race aimed at the pro's and the repeat for the ordinary guy?

@madmarc, if you do the first one you're going to go back until you reach no. 5 ????

@M L, my rule of thumb I try and follow.

It actually refers to running but one can loosely follow it: if you want to complete a 21km run and you want to gauge if you're ready or won't die on the day you need to be able to log the distance and or duration of the event over a one week period. I.e. if you want to be able to complete 227km in one go you need to be able to complete 227km over a 1 week period. As mentioned, this is a loose guideline as the amount of climbing also plays a part. 

@Startrek no, there's no real difference between the two dates, the elites normally enter the first week and therefore it is referred as "the race"  

2 hours ago, Startrek said:

Is there any difference between the race and the repeat? And is the race aimed at the pro's and the repeat for the ordinary guy?

You can only win the Trans Baviaans in the race...

3 hours ago, M L said:

6000km between Jan and August with 2000-2500 of it between end of May and the event date

Edited by Titleist

6 hours ago, M L said:

My theory on road races - like for 105km race you should be doing 105 km training ride once a week for at least the last 4-5 wks before the race - that how we trained for ARGUS

I suppose this is a different level and of course my first distance of this length, but the plan over and above normal training is to do at least 2 X 230km training rides before the event, at least your body will know what its in for on the day. its also about time in the saddle, training the body to cycle for longer periods than normal, my longest ride is 111km longest time in the saddle  was 7 hrs so i want to train the body to do at least 15 hrs

At least one of our team has done it before so we will need to be guided by his experience - Looking at the profile i think its easy to overcook the 1st half and end up bleeding through your eyes on the climbs and the finish. 

C2T is in reverse next year april - that'll be a good tester for Trans

@ anyone: Any accommodation suggestions other than tent town for the 12th? Seems almost all the places on the web are already fully booked

10 minutes ago, DKS said:

I am Gauteng based, so was thinking of trying out Race to the Sun, as a "test" run early next year,

I'm thinking of entering Race to the Sun as well looks like an awesome event but I don't think you can compare it to the TB. Flat as a pancake only about a 1000m of climbing over a 160 kms.

Edited by _David_