Winelands Cycle Race in January

Paarl Rotary

Entries are now open for the annual Winelands Cycle race on Sunday 30 January. The race will start and finish at Huguenot Primary in Wellington. It will be an excellent race to help you gear up and improve your seeding for the Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022.

There will be two races, with online registration, timing and seeding by RaceTec, under the auspices of the Pedal Power Association. The races will start in General Hertzog Boulevard and from there cyclists can travel on two routes in the rural area.

The first race over 112km starts at 06:00 (entry fee is R280, PPA members R260). It is for more experienced riders and will be a seeding race for the Cape Town Cycle Tour. The route takes riders to Hermon, Riebeek West and Malmesbury and then back to Wellington on a circular route around the Paardeberg. 

The second race, over 86 km, is also a seeding race for the CTCT. It starts at 07:00 (entry fee R260, PPA members R240). Riders follow the same route via Hermon and Riebeek West, but cut out the detour via Malmesbury. 

The closing date for on-line entries is Monday 25 January 2022 at 09:00. Please note that, due to Covid, entries are limited to 1500 riders. An online Covid form must be filled in beforehand. Temperatures will be taken before the start and masks must be worn before and after the race. 

For more information on the route and to enter, go to www.winelandscyclerace.co.za. Race numbers can be collected at Bicycle Garage in the Laborie Centre in Paarl on Friday 28 January from 14:00 to 17:00 or at Chris Willemse Cycles at Willowbridge or the Cape Town Cycle tour office in Avenue De Mist, Rondebosch, on Saturday 29 January from 10:00 to 15:00.

WCR logo jpg.jpg

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2021 at 1:16 PM, Jbr said:

... we shouldn't freeze to death this time (hopefully)

Wellington in Jan ... heat stroke is more likely.

But who can tell with the weather nowadays ...

1 hour ago, Thomo said:

Wellington in Jan ... heat stroke is more likely.

But who can tell with the weather nowadays ...

The key is to be done by 9am. 😉

38 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

The key is to be done by 9am. 😉

You're right.! Then it's still just mid 30s and not 40s yet. 🙃

On 12/3/2021 at 1:16 PM, Jbr said:

image.png.c27abdb199782e466790780c8b7f2e12.png

How dare you ! ????

Looking forward to it, we shouldn't freeze to death this time (hopefully)

ha ha, that is pretty funny.

I don't blame events for the weather (as long as they put it in the right season), but from recent memory this race has had a monster cut off low storm that dumped rain (was great fun to pretend i was doing a belgian classic), and then the next year so much wind forecast they called it off on the thursday. i believe both of those were early dec races, so a late january slot is different, but not really.

so ja, just put the race on, don't come crow about the weather until it's after the race and you had goldilocks conditions!

2 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

ha ha, that is pretty funny.

I don't blame events for the weather (as long as they put it in the right season), but from recent memory this race has had a monster cut off low storm that dumped rain (was great fun to pretend i was doing a belgian classic), and then the next year so much wind forecast they called it off on the thursday. i believe both of those were early dec races, so a late january slot is different, but not really.

so ja, just put the race on, don't come crow about the weather until it's after the race and you had goldilocks conditions!

This years Paris Roubaix looked easy in comparison 🤣

7 minutes ago, Michael Bemford said:

Hello everyone, it will certainly be very interesting, but the weather may not be very suitable for this cycling race. Some athletes generally refuse to participate in a bicycle race in advance, and for a reason, but because of many factors. By the way, did you know that many athletes do not just hope for good luck?

Okay

I might attempt this in a bid to get my CTCT seeding out of the alphabet soup. 

I can disregard Michael's gobbledygook as I am not an athlete so it doesn't apply to me.

• 3 weeks later...

I have entered this race. After being out of the country for 5 years, I have now got a seeding index of 0. I presume this means I start right at the back? Hopefully I don’t burn alive. 

So what is the deal with these 'non CTCT' road races?

Do 'normal' people enter them and ride them or is it just the racing snakes? 

I've landed up with an entry and I'm nervous