Eroica and Eroica Nova 2022

Mamil

I see that the South African Eroica and Nova is set for the Weekend of 07 and 08 May 2022.

The nova event, which is what I've done a couple of times now, has been made into a race held on the Sunday over 175km of gravel. Yum. 

Only thing is that's a week before 36one which I have allowed myself to believe is something I must do before I get too old.

Don't think 175km with 1800m ascent counts as an appropriate taper.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I see that the South African Eroica and Nova is set for the Weekend of 07 and 08 May 2022.

The nova event, which is what I've done a couple of times now, has been made into a race held on the Sunday over 175km of gravel. Yum. 

Only thing is that's a week before 36one which I have allowed myself to believe is something I must do before I get too old.

I reckon it should be doable, it depends how deep you go. Tons of guys did or where planning on doing DC before Tour du Cap (I know it is slightly different). Could be nice to really relax after Nova and then do some short sharp rides before 36one

6 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I reckon it should be doable, it depends how deep you go. Tons of guys did or where planning on doing DC before Tour du Cap (I know it is slightly different). Could be nice to really relax after Nova and then do some short sharp rides before 36one

This is exactly the kind of encouragement I needed to send me over to the "Enter now" link.

1 minute ago, Mamil said:

This is exactly the kind of encouragement I needed to send me over to the "Enter now" link.

You can also test out your nutrition strategy and pacing for 36one and make sure you end feeling fresh-ish... DOOOO IIIIIIIT

2 hours ago, Mamil said:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i kinda liked the touring/foodie/boozing vibe this year. Not sure i want to take my gravel bike for a monster ride AFTER that. 

I love the fact that Stan has split the event over 2 days now, it offers more bang for your buck 🤙 I'm somewhat less excited about the fact that the only route option on the Sunday is 175km's long... on a vintage bike that could be a bloody long day out 😄 Time to start some ser-ri-ass training 🙃

6 hours ago, Shebeen said:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i kinda liked the touring/foodie/boozing vibe this year. Not sure i want to take my gravel bike for a monster ride AFTER that. 

This….the TRUTH……!

1 hour ago, Harry Millar said:

I propose the start of a sideline event to run in parallel - riders dress in skipy leather attire, and we call it Erotica.

After the very first one, I got home wearing the Eroica Tshirt they gave us. My wife gave me a skew look and asked what kind of bike race calls itself Erotica SA..........she since came to love our yearly outing to Montagu and is egging me on to enter for an Italian or Spanish one, maybe even the Limburg version.......of course Covid truly stuffed our plans up for now.  

19 hours ago, Shebeen said:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Very sadly I had to miss the 2021 EroicaSA ........ but, like the Terminator said ......... I'll be back!👍

• 3 months later...

Entered The Classic for 2022.

This time I'm riding with my long standing (please note, not "old") team mate Beattbox. So, I suppose I'll have to dig out the somewhat worn (please note, not "old") team Pain or Shine cycling jersey. I have done it on the old Colnago and the Eddy Merckx in the past, now I'm thinking of riding Davids' technicolour Dreamcoat LeJeune to match Beattboxs' ride. We put that bike together the night before the ride, about 5 years ago, from whatever parts we could lay our hands on and it stayed like that. Oh what a lovely dilemma to have ........ deciding what bike to ride!

Looking forward to trying the new format. 

IMG_3295.jpg

Edited by DJR

How tough is the NOVA route on a ‘modern gravel bike? I have qualifying vintage bike to do the classic but im not sure i want to spend that amount of time on it….on gravel to boot. Id need to fit at least a 32c in there to even consider trying with that. And the 53/42 - 14/28 6 speed is not conducive to going easy either.
I think it’s just the distance/ time in the saddle putting me off probably. Im pretty sure i’ll handle it just fine, ive done a 200km ride over 2 days, but never one go?

I'm also toying with the idea of doing the Nova, but can one ride it leisurely or is it a "race"? I've just got back on to the bike and looking for something to work towards albeit rather soon. Will be doing it on  a "modern" GB.

Morne, it is tough because it is gravel, really long, forever up and down, with some big and long climbs. Most of all, it was picked by Stan ........ and I don't think he ever picked an easy route in his life! Aah, don't listen to me, I don't even have a gravel bike and I've never done the Nova ........ it will be a doddle! Promise! 

Duringd, nothing at Eroica is a race, it is a ride, even the Nova. A few, maybe 3 guys, will race it, the rest will just go and have a day out on long lonely and very beautiful roads where the legs get tired, but the soul gets stronger by the kilometre!