The Little Wing kids’ bicycle seat launches in South Africa

News bot

Introducing the LITTLE WING, an on-bike platform for children, now available for order in South Africa. The LITTLE WING has been designed and manufactured in Cape Town, South Africa by mountain biker Doug Bird, who decided to develop the bicycle seat when he could not find something similar that was locally produced. “I am passionate […]

View full article

my kids have outgrown this stage.

I used the behind the seatpost rackmounted seat, that worked ok, it's an old design.

Then borrowed an imported front seat that clipped on and off for kid#2, this is way better in my mind than them being behind.

When we had to give it back i went and got the foam top tube mounted one as #2 was still small enough to come jol.

So yes this is a great innovation, I think the price might be a limiter here. I understand it's hard building things locally but I'm not sure what the market is for this at that point (does it need an SWorks logo?!). 

19 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

my kids have outgrown this stage.

I used the behind the seatpost rackmounted seat, that worked ok, it's an old design.

Then borrowed an imported front seat that clipped on and off for kid#2, this is way better in my mind than them being behind.

When we had to give it back i went and got the foam top tube mounted one as #2 was still small enough to come jol.

So yes this is a great innovation, I think the price might be a limiter here. I understand it's hard building things locally but I'm not sure what the market is for this at that point (does it need an SWorks logo?!). 

Agreed on the pricing. If I still had small kids they would have had to stay home for that price.

I wonder what this brings that the FEVA seat doesn't have ? As much as I like Doug and his team at wild air TV, I don't really see the value added by this product, especially not justifying the massive price difference between it and the FEVA. 

It seems quick to fit and remove, that's one plus, but it doesn't justify the R3000 extra in my opinion. Maybe the fact that it's contactless so won't mark the frame on your brand new s-works ?

Edited by Jbr

32 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I wonder what this brings that the FEVA seat doesn't have ? As much as I like Doug and his team at wild air TV, I don't really see the value added by this product, especially not justifying the massive price difference between it and the FEVA. 

It seems quick to fit and remove, that's one plus, but it doesn't justify the R3000 extra in my opinion. Maybe the fact that it's contactless so won't mark the frame on your brand new s-works ?

This is the whole point of the product.

It allows you to attach it to your fancy 200k bike without damaging the paintwork. If you don't own a 200k bike and you don't care about damaging your paintwork, you probably aren't the target market.

I think it's super easy to poke holes in things these days and weirdly, people seem happy to.

It looks like a fantastic product for what it is. Well done Doug and team. Luckily my little dude is going to be on his 1st pedal bike soon, but if I was rich I definitely would have purchased and used one of these for the last 2 years.

Judging by the amount of mtb's i see around here with kiddie trailers attached, i imagine this could do well in Europe.

Alltho, if i was dad using one of these.... I'd be worried about my front teeth

We use a Feva seat, a giant seat (behind saddle, on a bike rack) and lately a Giant Halfwheeler. 

The Little Wing is definitely better executed than the FEVA seat. They serve the same purpose, but that is akin to comparing a Polo Vivo to a Audi A1. 

If I had a new showpony bike, then the Little Wing would have been the answer for us. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see a SA made product that's on par with the Ride Shotgun products. 

I've used the FEVA seat and it worked but it's sooo not elegant. This is well designed, looks great and if my little one was a two years younger I would buy this in a heartbeat. Pricing is right as well, as you cannot compare this to a clunky foam cutout product. It's pretty much a grand a year for you to ride with your little one, that's nothing. 

Good luck to Doug and team, think this will do well. 

15 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

I recall seeing a similar product available for R960. Great concept but I have to agree - the price prohibitive

https://www.takealot.com/front-row-kids-bike-seat-and-handle-bar-combo/PLID73694773

Isn't the concept of the Little Wing that it doesn't touch your bike frame and scratch the paint work etc?

That bolts straight to the tubing, so IMHO is just a metal version of the yellow foam thing we use.

There are definitely cheaper options, but none of them are quite as elegant

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Isn't the concept of the Little Wing that it doesn't touch your bike frame and scratch the paint work etc?

That bolts straight to the tubing, so IMHO is just a metal version of the yellow foam thing we use.

There are definitely cheaper options, but none of them are quite as elegant

My only criticism of this compared to the Macride is the height of the seat. Higher centre of gravity, less accessible for short riders (this is only compatible with medium frames and larger).

It's also difficult to see how adjustable it is from the pictures. Both the Macride and shotgun pro have great adjustability.