They walk among us . . .

Robbie Stewart

20 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I watched some clips of people getting involved in road rage and applying active self defence after things get spicy with guns etc. In each instance, the best course of action in hind sight was to avoid getting entangled in the first place. I am by nature a very short fused man, but after seeing how quick things escalate moment by moment, I have come to realise its not worth it. Now, I let people go and get on with what they want to do without getting involved myself, despite every fibre of my being wanting to step into the ring.

In a past life, I was actively involved in tactical firearm and self defence training. The best lesson I ever learned and taught, in my opinion anyway), is that the best defence is to avoid a situation in the first place. Run away, don’t respond, look like a coward who doesn’t shout back, whatever, just don’t escalate an incident into a deadly confrontation. It’s not easy to do, especially in SA where our egos can be fragile, but it’s the best way. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, BigDL said:

amongst the knuckle dragging, Brexit voting, covid denying, anti vax, anti immigrant fraternity.

very apt and accurate description of Jeremey Clarkson . . .🤣 We all know how much he hates cyclists in general. That, and caravans.

12 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

very apt and accurate description of Jeremey Clarkson . . .🤣 We all know how much he hates cyclists in general. That, and caravans.

I worked at Top Gear for a while back in the day. That guy is disgusting.

He stinks, he smokes all the time wherever he wants and throws his half smoked butts in fields/on set etc and he is a sex pest. Hilarious on TV once edited, but in real life he is rude, gross and cringe worthy.

Well, he was 15/16 years ago. 

Maybe he is a bit less so these days. I know I've definitely changed a LOT since then!

15 hours ago, ChrisF said:

/snip

Sometimes it feels like taxi drivers show more consideration to cyclists than the average driver ...

/snip

Until you encounter a bunch of THOSE taxi's and realise it was folly to ever consider. Getting complacent with taxi's will end up in an accident.

Never worth the time engaging with an angry fool in a car that you'll likely never see again (unless its a clown in your neighbourhood or whatever). Cynical perhaps, but efficient. Besides, if you stop to fight, your hr drops and that just undermines your own efforts!

Edited by Dirkitech

I've mentioned it before but I spend quite a bit of time (almost exclusively on my own) out on the roads and trails around Alberhoughton, Jobeg south, Meyerton etc. and I certainly don't feel like 'they' are out to get me on every ride. I do try to be as safe as possible and am pretty chilled so don't really get aggravated easily, that probably helps ...

I remember a few years ago one of our own, some may remember R2D2, had a run in with some taxis on the rand water board road that were part of a funeral procession. It went pretty badly for him!

Again you get those type of people amongst just about any demographic you can think of, drivers, cyclists, bakers, accountants and even people of the cloth (had a small run in with one once 😂) amongst many others. They are also generally like that in all walks of their lives not just towards cyclists as an example ... the same ones you see shouting at bank tellers, supermarket cashiers and anyone else that upsets them. 

Live and let live, that's my motto 😎

16 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

There are many Ian's especially in Cape Town and many driving Fortuna's... must be a really cuck car to be that angry behind the wheel

I could also tell you the story of the MTB tjop who ran several light from Sea Point to Bakoven and several stop streets with his "charming' female partner in tow. When confronted about the lack of respect for STOP's an Red traffic lights I was called a miserable young man who should rather buy a MTB (he was on a very High end MTB and his chickie babe on a grave; bike). I didn't expect this level of tjoposaur from a fellow mtb er but then again it made me think tat perhaps he also drives a Fortuna....🤪

Here in Sunny Cape Town we're experiencing an elevated level of aggression directed toward cyclists.....and other road users in general

Me in my fortuner

Awkward Hide GIF - Awkward Hide Shy GIFs

I've become increasingly aware of the anger of the average driver on our roads these days. Perhaps it's due to having been working form home for so long.

Yesterday, I had to travel for a meeting. One the way back, I passed a woman, on the highway, with three kids in the car, only one of which was wearing a seatbelt. Worst of all, she was sending a text message, hiding the phone below the window line, basically in her lap. She only stopped when I pulled up beside her and gestured to leave the phone.

This is why cyclists get killed, not because they're the problem. The average person behind the wheel of a car in SA is not properly equipped to do so.

My normal reaction these days to someone who does something annoying whilst I'm on the bike is a sad shake of the head, which in my mind conveys utter disappointment at the actions of the individual. They probably don't notice but it makes me feel better than shouting or arm waving.

The few that do notice sometimes apologise with a shrug or a wave of acknowledgement. The others don't give a toss.

A long time ago I was forced into a kerb by a bloke in a luxury SUV while he was on the phone. Once he'd stopped after noticing my frantic bashing at his passenger door I asked him if his Bluetooth was faulty. He had a meltdown, a big sweary meltdown. I'm not a big bloke or intimidating but tellingly he didn't get out of the vehicle to confront me while I smirked at my excellent quip. <insert raised Roger Moore eyebrow>

His utter rage at my smart-arse remark was a sight to behold, especially as he'd almost crushed my bike.

My partner (who's a psychologist) reckoned his rage was probably at himself and his own failings more than anything else, Oh and he was probably a tiny-dicked-virgin.

We will never win this and there will always be those that say cyclists must die a slow painful death, heaven only knows how they will react should this happen to a family member or friend. 

4 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Ja, I've been trying to BS myself too all week that I am "working" . . . 

I saw so many people on my ride yesterday who were just staring down at their laps while driving it was shocking - to me, because I have not really been active on the tar for the last 12 months. I've been riding mainly trails, so I forget what people in cars are like.

Looking at Laptops in the car? WTF??

4 hours ago, Dadbod Racing said:

You're always going to run into an Ian somewhere in life. 

The problem is..... sometimes "Ian" is a person with serious influence

Just this morning i read this utter twaddle from the Pope himself:

Pope Francis says choosing pets over kids is selfish

Pope Francis has suggested people who choose to have pets over children are acting selfishly.

The Pope's comments came as he was discussing parenthood during a general audience at the Vatican in Rome.

"Today ... we see a form of selfishness," he told the audience. "We see that some people do not want to have a child.

"Sometimes they have one, and that's it, but they have dogs and cats that take the place of children.

"This may make people laugh, but it is a reality."

The practice "is a denial of fatherhood and motherhood and diminishes us, takes away our humanity", he added.

Pope Francis says choosing pets over kids is selfish - BBC News

4 hours ago, MORNE said:

That looks like twitter? So that already tells you what you need to know about most of its users. It’s by far the most toxic of the social media platforms…F knows why. Its a troll cave, where humanity went to die. Also why i stopped using it 3 years ago.

I just treat any piece of road as a deathrace I need to survive.  It doesn't matter how entitled you feel as a cyclist on a specific piece of road or cycle lane or whatever, what your perception is of certain type of car owners or whatever…even if you are right and following all the rules.

Fact is, if something happens between you and any kind of motorised transport, you WILL lose 99% of the time.

So for that reason  i treat every car/bike/bus/taxi/etc like a possible accident waiting to happen. These days i treat every pedestrian the same way.
Trust no one. Assume they are all blind, deaf, road ragey, assholes. It might seem negative or not nice having to always ride so defensive, but Imo you will be better off in the long run. It becomes second nature. And swear at them in your head. Shake your head, call him/her a ‘dutch cat’ in your head and move on.  

Im pushing 40 now and have been riding bikes in the streets since I was 7. I rode 15km to school and back everyday since the early 90s. After that i rode to uni. In all that time I have been hit by cars twice…once on a sidewalk lol. It sucks. 

It has been said on here countless times…’i’d rather be alive than right’

Dude I love twitter, I find it hilarious. You get some absolute **** nuts but I generally find the funny side of life on twitter. 

I'm not super active on it and I probably only have about 7 followers and 2 of that is the same person cause the dork forgot his password to his account so had to setup a new one. If there's any social media I prefer it's twitter at the moment. FB can go "kruip" Insta is ok but Twitter is where it's at. I've found some people who share some funny **** on the blue bird....

25 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

The problem is..... sometimes "Ian" is a person with serious influence

Just this morning i read this utter twaddle from the Pope himself:

Pope Francis says choosing pets over kids is selfish

Pope Francis has suggested people who choose to have pets over children are acting selfishly.

The Pope's comments came as he was discussing parenthood during a general audience at the Vatican in Rome.

"Today ... we see a form of selfishness," he told the audience. "We see that some people do not want to have a child.

"Sometimes they have one, and that's it, but they have dogs and cats that take the place of children.

"This may make people laugh, but it is a reality."

The practice "is a denial of fatherhood and motherhood and diminishes us, takes away our humanity", he added.

Pope Francis says choosing pets over kids is selfish - BBC News

Sadly it is often religious leaders spreading the most hurtful, hateful and damaging messages.

1 minute ago, ouzo said:

laptops, newspapers, novels, eating cereal, I've seen plenty

I was on my scooter once and saw a guy scratch in a ladies under carriage as she pulled away from the traffic lights. It made me chuckle... how happy were they when they got to work!