Tried and tested ways to burn fat

arandre

Hello everyone, I know the new thing is to now use body fat as energy instead of eating carbs for energy.  I'm just wondering what are ways to burn fat while riding that have actually been tried by people and they can vouch for it working. I've heard one way is to excercise on an empty stomach. 

I know I can google this question but I want something that people can say it actually works. Please tell me what you do and what works for you. 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What worked for me last year was just getting as much saddle time in as possible while restricting calorie intake to below what my calculated requirement is. I managed to lose 10kg in about 4 months or so. 

Guess who gained the weight again when the above wasn't followed anymore. :D 

I've tried fasted rides and find that I get stomach cramps during the ride, bonk at 20km, and lose my sense of humor which results in over eating after the ride.

This time round I'm finding it hard to burn the fat away. Not sure why but I think diet is still not optimal. Also only recently started another training program on Sufferfest. Worked well the last time. 

Weighing in at 115kg at the moment. Will measure again only after the 6 week program is done. 

What I've found unfortunately is that there are no fast ways. 

The answer is caloric deficit.

You are better off getting (and using) a calorie counter app, cut out sugar and importantly, avoid liquid calories.

So many people track what they eat and not what they drink. The sugar/calorie count in most drinks is massive.

The keto state/fasting exercising is all the rage but wont do anything noticeable if you don't maintain a caloric defecit or binge eat/drink.

A sustainable lifestyle and eating/drinking habits are better than anything that promises 'fat burning'. 

I've always been skinny so I can't really comment but one of my "heavier" mates who have lost a lot weight swears by intermittent fasting and a ketogenic diet. 

Edited by _David_

9 minutes ago, arandre said:

Hello everyone, I know the new thing is to now use body fat as energy instead of eating carbs for energy.  I'm just wondering what are ways to burn fat while riding that have actually been tried by people and they can vouch for it working. I've heard one way is to excercise on an empty stomach. 

I know I can google this question but I want something that people can say it actually works. Please tell me what you do and what works for you. 

I'm down from 110 to 100kg.  You do need to eat before imo if you go on a long ride.  Short high intensity, sure no food needed.

Agree 100% with @Jewbacca, the only way to loose weight is to create an energy deficit, consuming less energy than you using, there is no other way.

1 minute ago, TheoG said:

I'm down from 110 to 100kg.  You do need to eat before imo if you go on a long ride.  Short high intensity, sure no food needed.

Agree 100% with @Jewbacca, the only way to loose weight is to create an energy deficit, consuming less energy than you using, there is no other way.

or use more than you're consuming

most of my rides start off fasted, but on the longer ones I'll take some form of nutrition with me. I managed to drop a few kg in 2020 without changing my diet, I simply upped the energy usage (i.e. rode more). 2021 I maintained that weight, until last month, thats when I consumed way way way more than I used and put on a 1kg or so.

As mentioned above, if you its a programme and not a lifestyle it will only work for a shortwhile. Which ever way you go it has to be something that can be maintained, i.e. become your lifestyle

Everybody is different and you need to figure out what will work for you

I can do a 70km ride in a fasted state without any problems but I need to eat carbs during the days otherwise there's no power in the legs to climb

Keto / using fat for energy doesn't work for everybody and it normally only works if you doing Zone 2 riding, should you decide to spend some time in Zone 4, 5 & 6 then normally carbs are required.

Basic principle is Calories IN vs Calories OUT

Edited by Cyclewizz

To burn fat you need a low carbohydrate diet. 

Eat  meat, fish, eggs, avocado, butter, cheese and green veggies which grow above the ground.

Avoid all sugars, wheat products, starches, processed foods, fruit,  fruit drinks and seed oils

Eat less frequently, (ideally only once or twice a day)

Train on an empty stomach

Just now, wolver said:

Training in the right HR zone! Do a lab test so you know your figures and then do the work... no shortcuts and you can't out-train a bad diet!

I'm in two minds on the HR thing, yes you burn a higher % fat at lower HR, BUT you use a lot more energy in a shorter time at higher HR.

So, short high intensity high HR vs very long slow lower HR can provide the same energy consumption.  Burn more energy than you stuff down your throat and you will loose wait regardless of HR zones. 

2 minutes ago, Cyclewizz said:

Everybody is different and you need to figure out what will work for you

I can do a 70km ride in a fasted state without any problems but I need to eat carbs during the days otherwise there's no power in the legs to climb

Keto / using fat for energy doesn't work for everybody and it normally only works if you doing Zone 2 riding, should you decide to spend some time in Zone 4, 5 & 6 then normally carbs are required.

Basic principle is Calories IN vs Calories OUT

Thank you , would you elaborate more on how to tell what each zone is? 

I'm in the fasted morning work out camp. It has worked for me for many Spring campaigns.

That and running.

As others have said - the boring, logical and successful way is maintaining a negative calorie lifestyle for a few weeks/months.

There are no shortcuts sadly.

Thanks to everyone for your responses, so the just of it is that you need to eat less energy than you using. So will this teach your body to use the fat as energy on your ride instead of using sugar and carbs?

Just now, arandre said:

Thanks to everyone for your responses, so the just of it is that you need to eat less energy than you using. So will this teach your body to use the fat as energy on your ride instead of using sugar and carbs?

Absolutely, your body need to get the energy from somewhere, if it don't enter your mouth, your body WILL use stored fat as energy source.

Power are more accurate than Hear Rate zones but if you don't have a power meter then you can use HR zones.
To get your Power Zones you'll have to do a FTP test
To get you HR Zones you'll have to do a LTHR test (both tests can be done at the same time)

Alternately if you want to avoid some pain and the taste of blood you can work out your HR Zones from your max HR.

The harder you ride the more your body will look for carbs to use as fuel