Tried and tested ways to burn fat

arandre

7 minutes ago, TheoG said:

I'm in two minds on the HR thing, yes you burn a higher % fat at lower HR, BUT you use a lot more energy in a shorter time at higher HR.

So, short high intensity high HR vs very long slow lower HR can provide the same energy consumption.  Burn more energy than you stuff down your throat and you will loose wait regardless of HR zones. 

Regardless of which way you go, it helps knowing accurately what your low and high intensity zones are. Many people train with their low intensity sessions being too high and high intensity sessions too low and end up going nowhere because of it.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, arandre said:

Thanks to everyone for your responses, so the just of it is that you need to eat less energy than you using. So will this teach your body to use the fat as energy on your ride instead of using sugar and carbs?

To use fat as fuel you'll need to avoid carbs so that your body starts using fat as a fuel.
You can loose weight using fat as a fuel and you can loose weight using carbs as a fuel, back to Calories IN vs Calories OUT.
If you over eat on Keto you'll gain weight as as with eating carbs.

GCN on YouTube did an episode some time back where the presenter switched to a Keto diet for a few weeks. Search for it as you might find it interesting.

Just now, wolver said:

Regardless of which way you go, it helps knowing accurately what your low and high intensity zones are. Many people train with their low intensity sessions being too high and high intensity sessions too low and end up going nowhere because of it.

Agree, I do know my info and use HR during each and every exercise.  Since I'm in the process of losing weight I rather monitor my energy consumption a lot closer than HR.  Once I'm at a competitive weight again, I will pay more attention to my HR zones to improve performance more than anything else.

3 minutes ago, Cyclewizz said:

Power are more accurate than Hear Rate zones but if you don't have a power meter then you can use HR zones.
To get your Power Zones you'll have to do a FTP test
To get you HR Zones you'll have to do a LTHR test (both tests can be done at the same time)

Alternately if you want to avoid some pain and the taste of blood you can work out your HR Zones from your max HR.

The harder you ride the more your body will look for carbs to use as fuel

But please don't use 220 minus your age as your HRmax... get an accurate figure.

Also make sure you have an accurate HR device. These wrist based HR monitors are pretty inaccurate from my experience with multiple devices. If you don't like a chest strap, the Polar OH1 or Verity sense is proving pretty good.

Just now, wolver said:

But please don't use 220 minus your age as your HRmax... get an accurate figure.

Also make sure you have an accurate HR device. These wrist based HR monitors are pretty inaccurate from my experience with multiple devices. If you don't like a chest strap, the Polar OH1 or Verity sense is proving pretty good.

220 - Age at least give an indication, but yes, it can be very inaccurate.  I know a top cyclist older than myself (55+) and he still have a max heart rate around 200, so yes better to do a test to get an accurate value.

11 minutes ago, arandre said:

Thanks to everyone for your responses, so the just of it is that you need to eat less energy than you using. So will this teach your body to use the fat as energy on your ride instead of using sugar and carbs?

You can only adjust your fat/carb energy usage a small amount - intensity of exercise has a far greater impact on the ratio than "training" your body tp use fat.

The keto diet is overhyped - a good, balanced energy deficit diet is a far safer and better way to lose and maintain weight.

Relative-use-of-fat-and-carbohydrate-as-metabolic-fuels-depends-on-exercise.png

33 minutes ago, ouzo said:

As mentioned above, if you its a programme and not a lifestyle it will only work for a shortwhile. Which ever way you go it has to be something that can be maintained, i.e. become your lifestyle

This x 100, I see so many people make great gains lose lots of weight only to put it all back on again.

11 minutes ago, Eldron said:

You can only adjust your fat/carb energy usage a small amount - intensity of exercise has a far greater impact on the ratio than "training" your body tp use fat.

The keto diet is overhyped - a good, balanced energy deficit diet is a far safer and better way to lose and maintain weight.

☝️ this

4 minutes ago, _David_ said:

This x 100, I see so many people make great gains lose lots of weight only to put it all back on again.

That happened to me. Burned hard on the trails and the trainer and lost 10kg. Felt great, looked great, gained 20w on FTP and everything was going well. 

Then work, life, and moving house happened followed by a month off the bike due to a stomach issue. Guess who gained all the weight back and now struggles to drop it again. 

Slower gains and slower losses convert into greater success of losing and maintaining weight. 

I guess we are all different and it has a lot to do with our DNA, some people manage to stay thin while others gain weight easily. Maybe in a couple years time CRISPR will turn us all into olympic athletes 🙂

55 minutes ago, Cyclewizz said:

Basic principle is Calories IN vs Calories OUT

Good calories though. 

Refined sugar and processed carbs is good example of being empty calories that will contribute greatly to weight gain. 

Eat clean, unprocessed, fresh foods. I find that I can stuff myself with this diet and not exceed my daily calorie count. 

Also, empty calories will fill you up quickly but you will find yourself craving and eating more frequently. 

6 minutes ago, _David_ said:

I guess we are all different and it has a lot to do with our DNA, some people manage to stay thin while others gain weight easily. Maybe in a couple years time CRISPR will turn us all into olympic athletes 🙂

Age is a big factor as well. In my 30s I could shed weight easily and hovered around 90kg while eating junk and exercising regularly. Now.... yeah, 40s is no joke. **** starts hurting when you tie your shoes. 

8 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Age is a big factor as well. In my 30s I could shed weight easily and hovered around 90kg while eating junk and exercising regularly. Now.... yeah, 40s is no joke. **** starts hurting when you tie your shoes. 

Better start stretching before the 50's .... 🤣

Hahaha i'm 50 next year!

But I have always been lucky when it comes to weight gain. I can eat whatever I like and I never put on any weight, that's why I think it has a lot to do with genetics. Some of us have to work a little harder at weight loss than others.

Edited by _David_