Tried and tested ways to burn fat

arandre

On 1/6/2022 at 11:23 AM, Jewbacca said:

The answer is caloric deficit.

You are better off getting (and using) a calorie counter app, cut out sugar and importantly, avoid liquid calories.

So many people track what they eat and not what they drink. The sugar/calorie count in most drinks is massive.

The keto state/fasting exercising is all the rage but wont do anything noticeable if you don't maintain a caloric defecit or binge eat/drink.

A sustainable lifestyle and eating/drinking habits are better than anything that promises 'fat burning'. 

Hit this one straight out the park, the umpire's had to get a ladder to indicate just how big a 6 this one was, oh wait he’s sending it the third umpire for approval on scaffolding 

Edited by DieselnDust

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/11/2022 at 4:15 PM, TheoG said:

Agree, BMI is BS.  Rather go for a healthy fat %, somewhere in the middle of the range for normal people and closer to the lower end for the race snakes.

Edit:  Unfortunately Discovery and the like does use BMI for the "health assessments" ... :( .

Discovery vitality is a joke, they know eff all about fitness.

10hours for a 120km adventure race- 0 points

10 hours for an ironman, 6000 points. Apparently one is unhealthy and dangerous and the other isn't.

Run a 20min 5k during the week- 0 points, under 30mins

Run a 20min 5k on a Sat as part of parkrun 300 points.

On 1/11/2022 at 5:30 PM, Andrew Buckley said:

True - this why I like low carb.  Some people may call it a fad, but:

• It is easy
  • It works
  • You won't go hungry

And you don't have to cut out all carbs - Just generally white carbs: sugar, bread, rice, pasta.

Note: For some reason it doesn't seem to work as well for women as men.

Andrew

here is some light reading...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1774636/

Diet plans are the best business plan going.

People get overweight, find the latest fad and spend money on books, juicers, foods, keto tests etc etc

They lose weight and feel good but it is unsustainable and after losing for a few months they fall off the wagon. They put on more weight and 1 year later(usually around 1 Jan) they start the process again. New book, new fad, new diet plan next person making money. 

On 1/11/2022 at 5:30 PM, Andrew Buckley said:

True - this why I like low carb.  Some people may call it a fad, but:

• It is easy
  • It works
  • You won't go hungry

And you don't have to cut out all carbs - Just generally white carbs: sugar, bread, rice, pasta.

Note: For some reason it doesn't seem to work as well for women as men.

Andrew

Low carb in the sense of banting is a fad. Carbs in the forms as you pointed out is junk and should be avoided, especially sugar.

I've been cutting out carbs long before Tim Noakes started making noise about it. I've always paid close attention to how certain foods interact with my body, and started cutting out foods like white bread, cereals and pasta a long time ago, mostly for the fact that I consider it as filler food that does not sustain a person. High sugar content food also makes me lethargic - I don't get the sugar rush, just the crash 30 min later. So you cut the carbs, and all the sudden don't feel like you need an afternoon nap and another snack 10 min later, or a Coke for that energy boost.

It only dawned on me consciously when I read up about cheap pet food that is mostly grain filler (yeah, if your dog eats/poops too much get your boi some decent food). 

My 2c Firstly you need to find which of the above works for YOU, in my experience calorie restriction is a no brainer, WHICH way of achieving this for YOU with the least possibility of failing or cheating

for many years I have battled with weight loss, yes I have tried all of them and the all work,(if u follow correctly)

December 2020 I stopped weighing myself at 135KGS shocking I know

I decided to stop carbs first week of January then I hit OMAD straight and apple cider first thing in the morning and pre sleep

I STOPPED ALL ALCOHOL In my opinion one of the biggest factors, as when I drink the next day all I do is eat

I trained fasted, ate "good nutrient dense foods" no portion control ate till i was full at night

End of march I was 95kgs, maintained that pretty much through the year(2-3kg variance) lowest was 89kgs

I am lucky I can ride up to 80km fasted at MY moderate pace

60km at my partners pace harder rides I found when I ate with solid carbs my weight went up, so I rode with minimal liquid carbs

When I went over 100kms I would stop and eat toasted sarmie 

when I reached 95kgs I had spoil days after hard rides only DOP and maybe 2 meals

Ive decided I will do the same this year NO DOP strict strict until 85kgs or end of march

this works for me

I must also add, I was an uncontrolled Diabetic, more chronics than a box of smarties I still have chronic medication, but my sugar is better than most non diabetics, last year I stopped 11 pills(under GP recommendation and blood work) and I have never felt better

lastly as Dale said on page one or two,, stress reduction and sleep is important,, sleep for me is a huge issue as I have wild apnea 

I honestly think we ALL know what to do to lose weight, its figuring out what best WE can apply to insure we dont quit

OMAD for me is very easy,,,, and its the reason my HbA1c is 5.7 

18 hours ago, eala said:

I did some really scientific research on the beach this December and i found .Wait for it ! Fat people are always eating or drinking wherever they are 

I was sitting at a traffic light waiting for green over the weekend, and there was an antie behind the wheel of the car beside me who's upper arms were wider than my quads . . . ( and I don't mean that her arms were fit either ). While we were waiting for the green light, she was funnelling food down her gullet . . . I mean, I get the need to eat while driving. I would not be adverse to eating something to still the pangs of hunger while you are on a long distance drive and you stopped for fuel at the Engen One Stop, but honestly, to sit and vreet a pie at a robot as you exit the mall on the way home is part of the problem leading up to having arms dikker than a man's upper thighs.

Starting point was 115kg with some bad habits like Red Bulls and chocolates, take-out once or twice a week etc. 
Also shorter rides just to fool my mind into thinking I'm still working out so I can indulge in the devil's food.

+- 2 weeks into the diet change. (not on a specific diet) 

Cut out white carbs and sugar. Teaspoon of honey when the sugar craving strikes. 

I'm not counting calories at the moment but I'm eating a lot of vegetables and fish but when the craving for meat strikes it will be chicken.

Started a new 6 week kickstarter program on Sufferfest as well and increased the length of our rides on weekends to 30km rides. 

I can feel and see the difference. I'm avoiding the scale completely until the 6 week program is over.  

Biggest change is not having that 15:00 slump and brain fog is definitely less. 

On 1/11/2022 at 5:30 PM, Jewbacca said:

Yes, but that heavy muscle mass is still weight. It's all bout function.

Exactly. I heard (from a qualified dietician) a counter argument to the standard BMI counter-argument, ie: a counter-counter-argument if that makes sense. Many people will say BMI is rubbish because if you're a big muscular guy your BMI may indicate that you're "Obese" whereas everyone can see you're a big muscular guy. But the thing is, all your heart knows is that you're 5"9" and 100kgs, and it's working pretty damn hard to move your heavy body up a flight of stairs and getting blood to all that extra biomass. It doesn't "care" whether that weight is in your deltoids or your gut. It's lifting 100kg either way.

OK I'll admit it's not as simple as that, if you're spending lots of time in the gym working those guns then the odds are you are probably not eating loads of junk food and your arteries might be in better shape than someone who is genuinely obese. And the workouts are good for you. But the point is, being muscular doesn't immediately make your BMI value irrelevant, it's still better for you to be light (apparently).

3 minutes ago, NickGM said:

Exactly. I heard (from a qualified dietician) a counter argument to the standard BMI counter-argument, ie: a counter-counter-argument if that makes sense. Many people will say BMI is rubbish because if you're a big muscular guy your BMI may indicate that you're "Obese" whereas everyone can see you're a big muscular guy. But the thing is, all your heart knows is that you're 5"9" and 100kgs, and it's working pretty damn hard to move your heavy body up a flight of stairs and getting blood to all that extra biomass. It doesn't "care" whether that weight is in your deltoids or your gut. It's lifting 100kg either way.

OK I'll admit it's not as simple as that, if you're spending lots of time in the gym working those guns then the odds are you are probably not eating loads of junk food and your arteries might be in better shape than someone who is genuinely obese. And the workouts are good for you. But the point is, being muscular doesn't immediately make your BMI value irrelevant, it's still better for you to be light (apparently).

But overall your health is much better. Heart will also be stronger I guess making the blood pumping easier? 

Biggest problem with being the traditional kind of obese is that little thing called visceral fat. That is a killer. 

1 hour ago, DIPSLICK said:

My 2c Firstly you need to find which of the above works for YOU, in my experience calorie restriction is a no brainer, WHICH way of achieving this for YOU with the least possibility of failing or cheating

for many years I have battled with weight loss, yes I have tried all of them and the all work,(if u follow correctly)

December 2020 I stopped weighing myself at 135KGS shocking I know

I decided to stop carbs first week of January then I hit OMAD straight and apple cider first thing in the morning and pre sleep

I STOPPED ALL ALCOHOL In my opinion one of the biggest factors, as when I drink the next day all I do is eat

I trained fasted, ate "good nutrient dense foods" no portion control ate till i was full at night

End of march I was 95kgs, maintained that pretty much through the year(2-3kg variance) lowest was 89kgs

I am lucky I can ride up to 80km fasted at MY moderate pace

60km at my partners pace harder rides I found when I ate with solid carbs my weight went up, so I rode with minimal liquid carbs

When I went over 100kms I would stop and eat toasted sarmie 

when I reached 95kgs I had spoil days after hard rides only DOP and maybe 2 meals

Ive decided I will do the same this year NO DOP strict strict until 85kgs or end of march

this works for me

I must also add, I was an uncontrolled Diabetic, more chronics than a box of smarties I still have chronic medication, but my sugar is better than most non diabetics, last year I stopped 11 pills(under GP recommendation and blood work) and I have never felt better

lastly as Dale said on page one or two,, stress reduction and sleep is important,, sleep for me is a huge issue as I have wild apnea 

I honestly think we ALL know what to do to lose weight, its figuring out what best WE can apply to insure we dont quit

OMAD for me is very easy,,,, and its the reason my HbA1c is 5.7 

WTF is OMAD?

Just now, Steady Spin said:

But overall your health is much better. Heart will also be stronger I guess making the blood pumping easier? 

Biggest problem with being the traditional kind of obese is that little thing called visceral fat. That is a killer. 

Ya for sure, I agree, somebody who is heavy as a result of lots of gym will be better off than somebody who is genuinely obese. But the perception that BMI becomes irrelevant if a lot of that mass is muscle is (apparently) incorrect. I'm obviously no expert, I'm repeating what was mentioned to me because I found it really interesting. It's still not a perfect metric by a long shot.

9 minutes ago, NickGM said:

Ya for sure, I agree, somebody who is heavy as a result of lots of gym will be better off than somebody who is genuinely obese. But the perception that BMI becomes irrelevant if a lot of that mass is muscle is (apparently) incorrect. I'm obviously no expert, I'm repeating what was mentioned to me because I found it really interesting. It's still not a perfect metric by a long shot.

The thing is, not all exercise and body conditioning is 'good for you'.

So while being fat and lazy and eating junk is obviously worse, one does get to stages of the process where one sacrifices 'health' for performance. 

It's not actually healthy to maintain 6% body fat. Bulk/shred cycles, 'race weight' etc are all not necessarily balanced or healthy.

Running 13 peaks on a Tuesday in 17 hours for training for a 400km non stop trail run is also not healthy. A lot of what we see as 'rad' is contrary to how we see it. 

Ideally we would eat a balanced diet, do moderate exercise and steer away from the strains and vigour of racing, ultras etc

8 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

The thing is, not all exercise and body conditioning is 'good for you'.

So while being fat and lazy and eating junk is obviously worse, one does get to stages of the process where one sacrifices 'health' for performance. 

It's not actually healthy to maintain 6% body fat. Bulk/shred cycles, 'race weight' etc are all not necessarily balanced or healthy.

Running 13 peaks on a Tuesday in 17 hours for training for a 400km non stop trail run is also not healthy. A lot of what we see as 'rad' is contrary to how we see it. 

Ideally we would eat a balanced diet, do moderate exercise and steer away from the strains and vigour of racing, ultras etc

utter rubbish,,,, we are all supreme athletes on the hub

1 hour ago, NickGM said:

I assume that person totally forgot that if you exercise it's not just your skeletal muscles that grow, but also your cardiac muscles that strengthens. 

That's a pretty weak argument I'd say. A well conditioned heart and body is more efficient overall, hence your resting heart rate that decreases as fitness increases. 

The only downside to carrying excess muscles, is that it requires a lot of energy (i.e food) to grow/maintain.