Tried and tested ways to burn fat

arandre

21 minutes ago, stefmeister said:

I assume that person totally forgot that if you exercise it's not just your skeletal muscles that grow, but also your cardiac muscles that strengthens. 

That's a pretty weak argument I'd say. A well conditioned heart and body is more efficient overall, hence your resting heart rate that decreases as fitness increases. 

The only downside to carrying excess muscles, is that it requires a lot of energy (i.e food) to grow/maintain.

Ya I agree with some of that, and there's every chance I've not remembered all the details!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, DIPSLICK said:

looks interesting at what point do we hit the Analysis Paralysis,,, we doing this for fun ,,, **** maybe I did not get the memo

Just trying to be helpful....

Haterz 😆

6 hours ago, dave303e said:

Discovery vitality is a joke, they know eff all about fitness.

10hours for a 120km adventure race- 0 points

10 hours for an ironman, 6000 points. Apparently one is unhealthy and dangerous and the other isn't.

Run a 20min 5k during the week- 0 points, under 30mins

Run a 20min 5k on a Sat as part of parkrun 300 points.

I was listening to a podcast where they were talking to Shayne Gaffney (workout designer on Zwift).
He said the workouts were designed for the masses, so they (Zwift) can sell their product.
It wasn't intended for the highly trained, yet the platform is there for the highly trained to use, eg. racing, custom workouts, entertainment.

Discovery pretty much works the same way, it's for the masses to get fitter, so they claim less, so Discovery spends less on medical expenses.
I'll leave the "charging less" out as that's another discussion all together.
Some of us are the highly trained, that can use the platform to gain more benefits, but requires "gaming it".

6 hours ago, stefmeister said:

Snip

The only downside to carrying excess muscles, is that it requires a lot of energy (i.e food) to grow/maintain.

This made me think of of something i watched on YT in november lol. Those two strongman brothers. The younger one is current world champ/strongest man in the world. They eat 10 000 calories a day in 5 or 6 sittings. 2000cal + a meal. They literally supplement the healthy food with sweets and crap  to make up for the rest, otherwise you just couldnt fit it in your body. Like a carton of eggs, half a kilo of bacon, some bread and wine gums, chocolates and stuff lol.
Not kidding. They are mountains though. This kind of proves that calories are calories to a sense lol. A 1000 in salmon or a 1000 in sweets as mentioned already. When you need the energy without the quantity…sweets will do if you need 10000 a day lol

Edited by MORNE

On 1/6/2022 at 11:29 AM, TheoG said:

I'm down from 110 to 100kg.  You do need to eat before imo if you go on a long ride.  Short high intensity, sure no food needed.

Agree 100% with @Jewbacca, the only way to loose weight is to create an energy deficit, consuming less energy than you using, there is no other way.

I've found you don't need anything except water for up to 2h45min of LSD - tempo riding.  This assumes a normal balanced diet, normal meal intervals. 

3 hours ago, Underachiever said:

I've found you don't need anything except water for up to 2h45min of LSD - tempo riding.  This assumes a normal balanced diet, normal meal intervals. 

Even longer if you really take it easy at about 60% effort, I’ve not used energy drinks for years only water (got surplus fat to burn) 

Sometimes I add some fresh lemon slices or pure lemon juice to the water for flavor.
Energy drinks are a like vitamins and supplements, very well marketed.

15 hours ago, SwissVan said:

Even longer if you really take it easy at about 60% effort, I’ve not used energy drinks for years only water (got surplus fat to burn) 

Sometimes I add some fresh lemon slices or pure lemon juice to the water for flavor.
Energy drinks are a like vitamins and supplements, very well marketed.

A word of warning wrt lemon juice, apparently it is acidic and frequent consumption could damage the enamel on your teeth.

Heard this somewhere years ago, not sure if its any worse than energy drinks or soft drinks

My take on this is the required commitment to a change in lifestyle, changing something to lose the weight and once the weight is lost reverting back to doing what you did will take your weight back to where you started.

I lost 16kgs over a 6 week period from 25 Nov 2019 (102kg's) to 3 Jan 2020 (86kg's) participating in a carb cycling diet (controlled portions of healthy whole foods) and boot camp style exercise (5 x 40min sessions a week).  No sugar, alcohol, fruits or "colorful" veggies. Every 4th day carbs could be consumed in controlled portions.  Eating like this took some planning for meal prep (it is not sustainable, not for me at least), but it did what I wanted it to do, which is kick start the healthier lifestyle.

Now 2 years down the line, I way 81kg's (plus or minus a 1kg), watching what I eat - not anal about it - combined with a mix of walking, running, cycling and gym exercises.

In general, life is much better, feeling healthy and strong, no colds or flu over the past 2 years including Covid!

19 minutes ago, RocknRolla said:

Not been following.. how many calories for typing on the internet, or clicking onto this thread...

Not enough .... 

1 hour ago, Colin Pym said:

My take on this is the required commitment to a change in lifestyle, changing something to lose the weight and once the weight is lost reverting back to doing what you did will take your weight back to where you started.

I lost 16kgs over a 6 week period from 25 Nov 2019 (102kg's) to 3 Jan 2020 (86kg's) participating in a carb cycling diet (controlled portions of healthy whole foods) and boot camp style exercise (5 x 40min sessions a week).  No sugar, alcohol, fruits or "colorful" veggies. Every 4th day carbs could be consumed in controlled portions.  Eating like this took some planning for meal prep (it is not sustainable, not for me at least), but it did what I wanted it to do, which is kick start the healthier lifestyle.

Now 2 years down the line, I way 81kg's (plus or minus a 1kg), watching what I eat - not anal about it - combined with a mix of walking, running, cycling and gym exercises.

In general, life is much better, feeling healthy and strong, no colds or flu over the past 2 years including Covid!

Im in more or less the same situation.  I dropped from 110 to 101 over a 6 month period with lifestyle change.  I want to also get down to 85ish a bit faster and the maintain with a suitable lifestyle.  Please send me some more details about your approach.  Please PM or whatsapp zero8two9zero5two55seven.

Very little that has been said here is really rocket science, and I might have missed a couple of pages. Here is my take on this. I went from 145kg down to 111kg last year. What I am very surprised has not been mentioned here is the psychology of weight loss. Certain exclusion diets (I did it with a combination of keto and fasting) make it easier to avoid triggers to overeating. 

The problem with seeing weight loss as simply a calorie deficit equation is this, many foods (especially foods that combine high amounts of fats with refined/processed carbohydrates i.e ice cream, pizza, crisps) trigger overeating behavior by short circuiting your brain's rewards system. This makes it highly unlike that given access to excess calories (which we all have) you won't overeat. 

As soon as you take foods that have a drastic effect on blood sugar out of the equation, it becomes that much easier to control hunger and cravings. Just remember that dramatic fluctuations in blood sugar is what causes hunger/cravings. 

Without trying to go to deep into the science and convolute what is meant to be a simple argument this is the reason why there is much anecdotal evidence of big weight loss on keto diets and why a lot of people swear by them. 

• 1 month later...