Please Read This - Sponsorship Requested

Jigghead

Hello Hubbers,

Whilst this is not a bike related plea, I am an avid MTB'er and part of the issue that landed me here is a serious MTB accident I was involved in in August 2021, where I, amongst other things, fractured a vertebra in my thoracic spine.

As you may or may not be aware, every year at Midmar Mile a small group of us participate in the 8 Mile Club charity swim where we raise funds for worthy causes. This year will be my 7th, but it is going to be the most special due to the fact that my daughter, having just turned 16, has just become eligible to swim this event, so it will be our first 8 Mile together. When I had my accident in August, the prognosis was that I was most likely not going to be allowed to swim this year. I've been feeling strong and it appears as if I'm good to go, albeit with very little training. I'll most certainly not be going for a time this year.

The problem I have is that I was not expecting to swim and therefore, having delayed my fundraising, I'm running out of time to raise funds. I'll be swimming for CHOC, for whom through cycling and swimming, I've raised over R100K for in the last four years. Please can I ask that you consider donating or at least forwarding the below link onto your friends and family. Anything will make a difference, big or small. You can donate online via credit card and all donations go to the charities.

Jason Raath is raising funds for CHOC | kydrin foundation

Please help Hubbers.

Edited by Jigghead

Did I mention that S18A tax certificates are available on request! This donation is fully tax deductible.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so maybe swimming 100km in the month between getting the all clear and the event was a little optimistic. I've managed only around 25km in the last two weeks which is a little disappointing. I do however, anticipate getting in around 20-25km per week for the next two weeks leading up to Midmar.

As you may or may not be aware, fundraising is still slower, even slower than my swimming. Don't forget peeps, that although I love this event, it is still all in aid of kids with cancer.

You can donate here: Jason Raath is raising funds for CHOC | kydrin foundation

you could also check out CHOC and see the awesome work the do here:

www.choc.org.za

EVERY PENNY COUNTS

This is this morning's swim. Since being cleared for training on 12th January, I have managed to get 27.8km completed in the pool. 

Tomorrow, I will do my first open water swim in a long time, and the first since my accident. I'm nervous and excited all at the same time. I will be trying 4 miles, one after the other, something of a simulation of one day of the event. If all goes well, i may try the same on Sunday. 

Donations remain open, check out my site...

Swimming.jpg

Edited by Jigghead

• 2 weeks later...

So we kick off on Thursday, and time is running out, training wise and fundraising wise. Between the two of us we've managed to reach R7,800 for me and R5,900 for my daughter. Please can I ask anyone who has even R100 spare to go to our fundraising page and drop a couple of buck in for the kids of CHOC Childhood Cancer Foundation. These guys really do amazing work. 

I managed a long swim yesterday, although the weather has hindered getting too much open water time in. I'll do 2km's tomorrow and the same on Wednesday, with Midmar kicking off for the 8 milers on Thursday. Please help if you can.

Midmar6km.jpg

Edited by Jigghead