Summer Fast One MTB - Rand Water Grounds (23 Jan 2022)

TheoG

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 90% there to enter the 80km one. Really enjoyed the last two Fast Ones I rode, but think the route is quite a bit different now. Seems perfect for the gravel bike.

3 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

I'm 90% there to enter the 80km one. Really enjoyed the last two Fast Ones I rode, but think the route is quite a bit different now. Seems perfect for the gravel bike.

The 80km route goes up to the tower at Eye of Africa. Includes a tough single track, rocky climb of approx 2km and the descent down the other side. 

Like I said, pretty much ideal conditions for a gravel bike... to me at least 😁 

Given enough patience, skill (which I don't have), and disregard for your sanity and wellbeing (which I have in spades) you can ride pretty much anything on a gravel bike... Or just be fine with the occasional hike-a-bike.

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

Anyone maybe have access to the 40/60/80 km routes gpx files?

Mostly interested in the 60km.

Thanks

http://www.cycleevents.co.za/mtb-events/summer-fast-one-mtb-2021/

Theo, the routes are almost exactly in reverse to the previous winter fast one. 

Main difference is that you'll cut diagonally from pig farm down to powerlines then down to Heineken factory instead of direct down from pig farm to sun valley road. Powerlines is about 1km due east parallel to the pig farm route. This land has a new owner and doesn't want visitors on his land. (thumbs up to him though, he's cleaning up the very nicely 👍👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2022 at 4:57 PM, TyronLab said:

Given enough patience, skill (which I don't have), and disregard for your sanity and wellbeing (which I have in spades) you can ride pretty much anything on a gravel bike... Or just be fine with the occasional hike-a-bike.

Did the 60 on the Gravel Bike and had some funny looks. The technical sections were brutal as no suspension meant a long squat on the downhill pieces.

Not sure i would say it was gravel bike friendly but like you say i ride mine on anything.

Silverback Siablo GB

Pirreli Centurato 700 x 45 C

52/34  11/30

image.png.e01c5a379620876990f6de19f3d4e63c.png

371287101_WhatsAppImage2022-01-24at07_20_07.jpeg.d1b33ac5b5830c4020d5bb2a533fec0e.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Spy007 said:

Did the 60 on the Gravel Bike and had some funny looks. The technical sections were brutal as no suspension meant a long squat on the downhill pieces.

Not sure i would say it was gravel bike friendly but like you say i ride mine on anything.

Silverback Siablo GB

52/34  11/30

Wow, well done, you are very brave to do that route on a gravel bike.  I did it on a full suspension MTB and at times things went a bit dodgy for me, so totally hats off !!!

13 minutes ago, Spy007 said:

Silverback Siablo GB

52/34  11/30

371287101_WhatsAppImage2022-01-24at07_20_07.jpeg.d1b33ac5b5830c4020d5bb2a533fec0e.jpeg

It was nice to meet you! I'm happy you managed to finish. 40k was lovely on a gravel bike. Fortunately I recognised the entire route, so no nasty surprises other than the mud (which in hindsight shouldn't have been a surprise) and the downhill sketchy rocky bit where I lost plenty of speed.

Am quite upset with the route signage, cost me first place in sub-vets. At a certain junction on the route it indicated either straight or right, but which route I had to take was unclear. 

On 1/12/2022 at 4:57 PM, TyronLab said:

Was expecting you there. Titan Switch matchy matchy, but I was the sole representative. 

40 minutes ago, Spy007 said:

Silverback Siablo GB

52/34  11/30

20220123_095601.jpg

14 minutes ago, ouzo said:

do they still do the road race ?

Next year, due to covid

But is a different organiser.

1 hour ago, mecheng89 said:

It was nice to meet you! I'm happy you managed to finish. 40k was lovely on a gravel bike. Fortunately I recognised the entire route, so no nasty surprises other than the mud (which in hindsight shouldn't have been a surprise) and the downhill sketchy rocky bit where I lost plenty of speed.

Am quite upset with the route signage, cost me first place in sub-vets. At a certain junction on the route it indicated either straight or right, but which route I had to take was unclear. 

You were on the Titan?

Saw only 4 gravel bikes.

2 Slings

1 titan

1 Sliver-back (ME)