Advise please - To be or not to be

Does a Cannondale Scalpel SI "have to have" a lefty or would a normal fork look just as rad? Or what would you go for if you had an option? I am keen on starting a new build but I am torn between going stock, i.e. Lefty fork or going with a standard two stanchion fork 😁. Now my question is not based on the mechanics but rather the look and feel of the bike. What would do the frame justice? 

Maybe I should start a poll 🤔

6 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Does a Cannondale Scalpel SI "have to have" a lefty or would a normal fork look just as rad? Or what would you go for if you had an option? I am keen on starting a new build but I am torn between going stock, i.e. Lefty fork or going with a standard two stanchion fork 😁. Now my question is not based on the mechanics but rather the look and feel of the bike. What would do the frame justice? 

Maybe I should start a poll 🤔

Hi Robert, If I ever own one of those I will for sure replace the Lefty with a normal fork, but thats just me  .... 🙈

BTW, I found a spacer for the cassette, so all is good 😀

12 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Hi Robert, If I ever own one of those I will for sure replace the Lefty with a normal fork, but thats just me  .... 🙈

BTW, I found a spacer for the cassette, so all is good 😀

Glad to hear about the spacer, I found most of the shops in PTA did not have one. 

I agree with you on the fork. I am also leaning towards a normal fork rather than a lefty 😁

Different bike but my Cannondale Rush came with either Lefty or "regular" fork depending on the spec level. I assume the Lefty would have been the top spec.

To me my bike definately looks better with a regular fork than the Lefty ones I have seen 🙂

I

I always loved the idea of bearings instead of bushings.....if i was getting a Scalpel i would keep the Lefty especially if its the new one.

Bought a scalpel, because I have owned too many SC I WANTED something different I wanted a “NEW” bike/brand

I do not like the Lefty 

in fact it has less km than any of my bikes, I don’t care what anyone says, gimmick and I hate the gyro feel

but I agree you can’t buy a scalpel and not have a lefty for me I should have bought the SC Blur

if anyone wants to swop a basically new large blur with same spec, I’m seriously More than Keen

8 hours ago, letsride said:

7530C274-4EB0-4DCC-9763-7B6D05143C81.jpeg

Did you do the conversion yourself. I assume that it was a lefty Ocho fork on the original setup. Interested on hearing if the conversion from Ocho to normal fork was easy or difficult.

Its only a Cannondale if it has a Lefty... 🤪 (stuff like this should not even be a discussion point) 

Just now, Mongoose! said:

Its only a Cannondale if it has a Lefty... 🤪 (stuff like this should not even be a discussion point) 

Either a CANONdale or a MAKROdale ....

23 minutes ago, Albatross said:

Did you do the conversion yourself. I assume that it was a lefty Ocho fork on the original setup. Interested on hearing if the conversion from Ocho to normal fork was easy or difficult.

should be very easy , ocho has a standard steerer 

so it can basically just slide into any standard mountain bike frame , same with the Cannondales that come eith the ocho , no serious moding is needed to the head set if you want to run A standard telescopic fork 

27 minutes ago, Albatross said:

Built the bike from scratch. First choice would have been to use a 120mm Ocho but the Eta on those are end of 2023. Bike was over-shocked, 5mm longer stroke, same thing Cannondale did on their Scalpel Se's from 2018ish. Ended up running a knock block headset but that was unnecessary, the Cannondale Se's used a 12mm extension cup (also used by the Ocho forks on the Scalpel Si's) to give enough clearance with the FOX 34 forks they used with their builds but the Sid 35 120 has plenty of clearance without it. I didn't want to slacken the head-angle further. 

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

If the lefty added anything all the brands would do it. 

I think if Cannondale had stock other brands would start utilising the lefty forks, I believe that was their biggest motivation for going to the single crown design with the new lefty. That and making 1 fork instead of multiple different sizes of the old double crown forks to work with different sized bikes. 

15 minutes ago, letsride said:

I think if Cannondale had stock other brands would start utilising the lefty forks, I believe that was their biggest motivation for going to the single crown design with the new lefty. That and making 1 fork instead of multiple different sizes of the old double crown forks to work with different sized bikes. 

I know more people who have bought Cannondales only to get rid of them cos they hate the Lefty! Me being one of them... Worst shock ever invented!