VW Caddy owners - a question

travisza

We're thinking of getting a VW Caddy Crew Bus.

Based on my budget we are looking at the petrol one and most likely a 2016 or 2017 model

It will be our only car. While most of these are 7 seaters, we only need 5 seats so we'll remove the last row and store until the car is to be sold

I'm undecided between the maxi and the normal version. Seems like with the 3rd row removed there would be enough space (to load the dogs x4 or a couple bicycles) but would I regret not getting the maxi version??

There aren't many maxi versions around in my price range but should I rather hold off until one come up? Or is the normal one more than enough for our purposes?

Thanks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Eldron said:

You need the California version!!!

Sticking to my budget is hard enough as it is! Seems like its the same with everything...your budget is R10 but as soon as you start looking the one you want is at least R12 and most likely R17 or R18

Just now, travisza said:

Sticking to my budget is hard enough as it is! Seems like its the same with everything...your budget is R10 but as soon as you start looking the one you want is at least R12 and most likely R17 or R18

#truth bomb

The California version is the perfect delivery/recreational vehicle for my business but daaaman they retain their value!

2 minutes ago, travisza said:

its more like, budget is 10, but the one I want is 12, but if I just push to 17 I can get so much more

16 minutes ago, ouzo said:

its more like, budget is 10, but the one I want is 12, but if I just push to 17 I can get so much more

I seriously looked at a Caddy Maxi a few years back.

Maritz's dad had the Caddy, now has the Caddy Maxi and the VW Transporter.  So ample opportunity to test them out.

That standard Caddy is just too short - we need three seats.  For two people and the bikes at an angle it may well work.

The Maxi does everything we want !!  But damn, just could not stretch my budget that far .....

I have a panel van short wheel base version without seats. I can fit 4 bikes in fairy comfortably. The maxi is 40cm longer in length and a nice to have but in my case was not absolutely essential. But if you can go for the Maxi having to much space is always better than to little.

I have a 2015 maxi crewbus. 5 seats, TONS of space in the back.

I still sometimes put the second row down to fit longer bikes in.

Fuel economy is excellent, I get about 1000km on a 60l tank, services cost a pittance at an independent garage.

They have lots of road noise with only 2 rows of seats, but a lavish treatment of sound deadening does wonders.

The second hand market is mad, I can get about 30% more for it now than I could 18 months ago.

Get the maxi, but just know that anytime you go away, you will take everything you need and more just because you have the space for it.

Edited by Trashy
Spelling

8 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I seriously looked at a Caddy Maxi a few years back.

Maritz's dad had the Caddy, now has the Caddy Maxi and the VW Transporter.  So ample opportunity to test them out.

That standard Caddy is just too short - we need three seats.  For two people and the bikes at an angle it may well work.

The Maxi does everything we want !!  But damn, just could not stretch my budget that far .....

Do you mean you need three rows of seats? Because if you can remove the 3rd row there is quite alot of space (but 400mm shorter than the maxi as Warick pointed out)

We're two adults and a child so we need the two rows of seats minimum. (Hence the CrewBus version). If budget wasn't an issue I think it would be the maxi for sure. I might just have to wait until we can afford it seeing as the initial opinion here seems heavily in favour of the bigger version

Edited by travisza

1 minute ago, travisza said:

Do you mean you need three rows of seats? Because if you can remove the 3rd row there is quite alot of space (but 400mm shorter than the maxi as Warick pointed out)

We're two adults and a child so we need the two rows of seats minimum. (Hence the CrewBus version). I

The second row splits and you can remove the double seat and just leave the single in.

2 minutes ago, Trashy said:

Fuel economy is excellent, I get about 1000km on a 60l tank, services cost a pittance at an individual garage.

They have lots of road noise with only 2 rows of seats, but a lavish treatment of sound deadening does wonders.

The second hand market is mad, I can get about 30% more for it now than I could 18 months ago.

Get the maxi, but just know that anytime you go away, you will take everything you need and more just because you have the space for it.

Ya the 2nd hand market is nuts for sure. I completely agree with your point about going away...when we go away its camp cots, etc all of which take a ton of space 

1 minute ago, Trashy said:

The second row splits and you can remove the double seat and just leave the single in.

Got you

3 minutes ago, Trashy said:

Fuel economy is excellent, I get about 1000km on a 60l tank, services cost a pittance at an individual garage.

Our experience too. Get the Maxi if you can.

in the motor industry (repair side of things) you get two types of caddy owners

those who have zero issues, and those who hate them as costs to repair after warranty is insane

I have a full workshop and I would love to have them in my fleet for consumption and safety(goods in transit)

but repairs put me off, good luck lets hope you find a peach