VW Caddy owners - a question

travisza

Just now, travisza said:

Ya the 2nd hand market is nuts for sure. I completely agree with your point about going away...when we go away its camp cots, etc all of which take a ton of space 

We went camping in December. Took two kids, the dog and everything we needed to be self sufficient for a week, even had large foam mattresses and we fitted it all in.

Took the kids bikes but couldn't get mine inside, would need a rack to take it with.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, DIPSLICK said:

in the motor industry (repair side of things) you get two types of caddy owners

those who have zero issues, and those who hate them as costs to repair after warranty is insane

I have a full workshop and I would love to have them in my fleet for consumption and safety(goods in transit)

but repairs put me off, good luck lets hope you find a peach 

What similar vehicles aren't expensive after warranty expires?

1 minute ago, DIPSLICK said:

in the motor industry (repair side of things) you get two types of caddy owners

those who have zero issues, and those who hate them as costs to repair after warranty is insane

I have a full workshop and I would love to have them in my fleet for consumption and safety(goods in transit)

but repairs put me off, good luck lets hope you find a peach 

This is why I'm steering clear of the TDI version. While I definitely prefer the extra torque, and its noticeable, at my budget you're looking at tdi's with more than 120,000kms on them and I'm wondering when the turbo is going to go.

I'm hoping the petrol will be lower cost of maintenance in the long run even if fuel consumption is a bit higher. I've seen some terrible ones out there already so fingers crossed I get a good one!!!

We've had plenty of VWs in the past an no issues with repairs or reliability so hoping that trend continues

11 minutes ago, travisza said:

Do you mean you need three rows of seats? Because if you can remove the 3rd row there is quite alot of space (but 400mm shorter than the maxi as Warick pointed out)

We're two adults and a child so we need the two rows of seats minimum. (Hence the CrewBus version). If budget wasn't an issue I think it would be the maxi for sure. I might just have to wait until we can afford it seeing as the initial opinion here seems heavily in favour of the bigger version

Two adults and one kid, thus "three seats".

The Caddy with the second row of seats in place limits your options to fit bikes inside.  

13 minutes ago, travisza said:

This is why I'm steering clear of the TDI version. While I definitely prefer the extra torque, and its noticeable, at my budget you're looking at tdi's with more than 120,000kms on them and I'm wondering when the turbo is going to go.

I'm hoping the petrol will be lower cost of maintenance in the long run even if fuel consumption is a bit higher. I've seen some terrible ones out there already so fingers crossed I get a good one!!!

We've had plenty of VWs in the past an no issues with repairs or reliability so hoping that trend continues

The 2.0 TDI is more reliable than the old 1.9 from what I've heard.

Mine is only on 70k though so I'm not worried just yet

14 minutes ago, travisza said:

the petrol are cheaper to repair, but obviously not as good consumption

1 hour ago, travisza said:

We're thinking of getting a VW Caddy Crew Bus.

Based on my budget we are looking at the petrol one and most likely a 2016 or 2017 model

It will be our only car. While most of these are 7 seaters, we only need 5 seats so we'll remove the last row and store until the car is to be sold

I'm undecided between the maxi and the normal version. Seems like with the 3rd row removed there would be enough space (to load the dogs x4 or a couple bicycles) but would I regret not getting the maxi version??

There aren't many maxi versions around in my price range but should I rather hold off until one come up? Or is the normal one more than enough for our purposes?

Thanks

I have 2018, 1600 crew bus, stock standard version.

Last row of seats are almost never used.

to get my bike in i collapse the smallest of the middle row and fit it sideways (even with the maxi this is needed if you have a L frame bike)

pic of my bike and some nursery shopping

love the vehicle, local agents are SUPER *** though (I'm still waiting for them to phone me back for a test drive)

Chat to the guys at Dirk Ellis in Jeffreys 

sIoIdDdUJ9n63yO_I-KFcK2b4t9YBX5rMpjl59L1C1FT9W_1fe5Eg1coKDDrM30_FtNArlR4k8kMW1_7WdJEQv_1D9XqIQY7jRDOdxzqhxBMOUe_TdQCEIL2doVfvPzvWN7MBCqcewkopau5-BfNr7wHSxsraOtQ8K98iJB0tRNlmBTuKxa99p8L628csxe7nu51j7eDDKBhosI8daT7SJcTs9SXdp0TlgKzvZNOBzVbFYnII7JBXaXfHZ8f_dfYVwpx_AIE6QcyOHb6ONi3ZJXh9P-WvgXPcpde3Xeys2rykDlFu9p9wm9SGHE2Swc7hrkph1NaNyzcBOQm6vMBfozdsWjdCiBArDTqt7dol1dT6XwdwncZBI-RI6m8q1AXgs1rlfszkd6LRQ4F7ptDOj_cq7EnhfXDW8PuGYIwMjPhOyuCLH_61jerS9h_Cayq-c80t1gl1QXBECrPCUelWzTNUa7Vfjf0AAGo6H5CHAL0Zcbhkp78R1BvN93kJgcklDTMdIVYYKe2ycKayoQAQcp2uvaG9tP275SCIx1T31dr8-L-DZro286_pIj4wBmhQ4RIlCiKdsuxlKApJ1qW1SrsuzxPY33XhSVVnHpVB3iXzk6CK__RHJfUEztaz04bdWWy4UpDcaLaJilk5EL0rQabDfHacClKHJubh-pADgyfkBLnJNFIb6lRegq_fLMzE3zU8RUw3dMiw3g1NE-55gNcnw=w293-h220-no?authuser=2

My old 1.9 Tdi Caddy did over 300k before motor gave issues. So I feel I got a good run out of that motor ! Do oil changes every 10k and normal maintenance and the motor should last.

The plus for me is that the motor is very simple and easy to work on. But yes if something goes wrong not cheap to fix. I think mainly due to the high compression ratio of the diesel engine and high fuel pump / injector pressure required. The assembly also has to be properly designed to handle that stress. So one can appreciate where the costs start to come from. 

Neglect and it will give issues. The type of drive you do will also have an adverse affect on the lifespan of the motor. Obviously long trip are preferable over constant stop start.

I have a 2.0 Tdi now and yes the fuel consumption is better along with a few other improvements on the previous 1.9Tdi motor. To be honest every brand of vehicle will have will have a percentage of motors that give issues, nothing in life is perfect ! 

Edited by warick_wrx

2 hours ago, Trashy said:

I have a 2015 maxi crewbus. 5 seats, TONS of space in the back.

I still sometimes put the second row down to fit longer bikes in.

Fuel economy is excellent, I get about 1000km on a 60l tank, services cost a pittance at an independent garage.

They have lots of road noise with only 2 rows of seats, but a lavish treatment of sound deadening does wonders.

The second hand market is mad, I can get about 30% more for it now than I could 18 months ago.

Get the maxi, but just know that anytime you go away, you will take everything you need and more just because you have the space for it.

How many km to the litre is that roughly? ... I'm lazy mathamatically!

2 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

How many km to the litre is that roughly? ... I'm lazy mathamatically!

Thats 100km to 6 liters ....

Just better than 16 km / l.

Edited by ChrisF

5 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Thats 100km to 6 liters ....

Just better than 16 km / l.

Jeez ... That's decent. Diesel? 
Been bloody impressed with the Suzuki Swift as well, albeit a compact hatch. Considering the Urban Cruiser/Brezza SUV from them, also bloody good fuel efficiency. 

Love my Pajero iO, but it's not that light on fuel. Squeeze 12km to a litre on a good day. 

8 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Been bloody impressed with the Suzuki Swift as well, albeit a compact hatch. Considering the Urban Cruiser/Brezza SUV from them, also bloody good fuel efficiency. 

Love my Pajero iO, but it's not that light on fuel. Squeeze 12km to a litre on a good day. 

Hold onto that Pajero, keep it in decent nick and the value should start rising.

I recently bought a 2019 caddy maxi 2.0 diesel. Best car I have ever owned.

The versatility of the maxi is great. I remove the last row of seats to fit my bicycle inside without even touching the middle row seats. Even camping trips are easy, as you can pack it to the roof with the rear seat removed. Plenty space. Easy to transport large items like tredmills and large furniture pieces with all rear seats removed.

Very economical, I also managed 5.2l/100km on our last trip to george. It is just so comfortable on the open road. Did some grave and jeep tracks with it during the holiday, the ground clearance is also surprisingly good.

In short, I was in the same boat and rather opted foe the maxi. I do not regret it at all. Very practical vehicle👌🏻

16 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

My Suzuki Ertiga does 15 to 16 km/l on the open road trips.

Average over 30 000km is just under 14 km/l.

Very happy with the Suzuki.

But that VW Caddy Maxi is a damn fine vehicle 👍