Buying from bikeinn? Hidden costs?

ByronH

Hi all

So I'm doing some research to buy a dropper seatpost. I like this one from BikeInn (international dealer)... https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/crankbrothers-highline-3-telescopic-seatpost/137380974/p?_gl=1*g52pfw*_up*MQ..&gclid=CjwKCAiAxJSPBhAoEiwAeO_fP6DndK7surt8nXkyRrW9iASregxeZJXJDi_3bmgmxOg9eCGqfQfkdhoCy6cQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I see that DHL delivery (not doing PostOffice 😅) is R675...

So when DHL drop it off... are they going to expect me to pay further VAT, custom duties etc... to them? or is that included in their 'delivery fee'?

You will have some other costs to pay when it lands at customs, vat and a handling fee from DHL I think

I just brought in some handlebars, initial cost with shipping was just under R2k, after they landed had to pay R460 for customs and the service fee

By the time you've paid shipping, duties, vat, and disbursement fee you might as well buy something like the OneUp droppers. 
Local warranty and overnight shipping. 

BikeInn catches you with low prices but the shipping they charge is insane. 

39 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

By the time you've paid shipping, duties, vat, and disbursement fee you might as well buy something like the OneUp droppers. 
Local warranty and overnight shipping. 

BikeInn catches you with low prices but the shipping they charge is insane. 

Thanks... gonna check out those OneUp droppers!... they dont have the price on their website but will try give the number a call

1 hour ago, ByronH said:

Hi all

So I'm doing some research to buy a dropper seatpost. I like this one from BikeInn (international dealer)... https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/crankbrothers-highline-3-telescopic-seatpost/137380974/p?_gl=1*g52pfw*_up*MQ..&gclid=CjwKCAiAxJSPBhAoEiwAeO_fP6DndK7surt8nXkyRrW9iASregxeZJXJDi_3bmgmxOg9eCGqfQfkdhoCy6cQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I see that DHL delivery (not doing PostOffice 😅) is R675...

So when DHL drop it off... are they going to expect me to pay further VAT, custom duties etc... to them? or is that included in their 'delivery fee'?

15% VAT (on order value excluding shipping)

0% Duty on bike components (don't order clothes - there is is something like 45% duties)

R250 handling fee

This is all on top of the R675.

PS: If your order is under R100 in value you will likely (ie: read sometimes yes, sometimes no) not be charged VAT at all. Obviously not applicable in your case. 

Like others have mentioned, just buy a One Up, cheaper and better (in my opinion anyway). Give me a shout if you want me to source one for you. 

Edited by Grease_Monkey

1 hour ago, ByronH said:

Thanks... gonna check out those OneUp droppers!... they dont have the price on their website but will try give the number a call

Buy from www.trailtechcycles.co.za

some make it sound like Bikeinn is ripping you off. I was very hesitant to order from them for a long time, until I had no choice (the only ones having the part I was looking for being the said site)

I ended up ordering on the thursday and got my part on the following wednesday, and even though the total cost at the end was a bit higher than the price on the product page (shipping cost + VAT + whatever DHL makes you pay because why not, they have your stuff they might as well squeeze you to get whatever they can), it was still cheaper than local alternatives and it probably would have taken me months to get what I wanted locally anyways.

Now I've ordered bars from another one of these sites (german in this case), and my parcel hasn't moved from a german airport since thursday....no news from DHL. Seems the problem is mostly DHL everytime. 

3 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Now I've ordered bars from another one of these sites (german in this case), and my parcel hasn't moved from a german airport since thursday....no news from DHL. Seems the problem is mostly DHL everytime. 

I've heard that DHL from Germany can often mean postal services.? 🤷‍♂️

If that is the case, movement from German airport is but the beginning of your headache.

2 hours ago, Thomo said:

I've heard that DHL from Germany can often mean postal services.? 🤷‍♂️

If that is the case, movement from German airport is but the beginning of your headache.

Last year I bought a few times from Bike24 using DHL postal and every time the package was delivered to my door by the Post Office within 2 weeks of landing in SA. 

On the other hand, my Bikeinn order from around March 2021 which was also via the Post Office is still MIA.

2 hours ago, Jbr said:

some make it sound like Bikeinn is ripping you off. I was very hesitant to order from them for a long time, until I had no choice (the only ones having the part I was looking for being the said site)

I ended up ordering on the thursday and got my part on the following wednesday, and even though the total cost at the end was a bit higher than the price on the product page (shipping cost + VAT + whatever DHL makes you pay because why not, they have your stuff they might as well squeeze you to get whatever they can), it was still cheaper than local alternatives and it probably would have taken me months to get what I wanted locally anyways.

Hi JBR

Please PM me your details. I can have this looked into for you.

3 hours ago, Jbr said:

...no news from DHL. Seems the problem is mostly DHL everytime. 

Best of luck, three large boxes urgently acquired from one supplier in Johannesburg which were collected simultaneously, and with a single destination, arrived in three different cities.  Thanks DHL.

Purchased item from bikeinn,  arrived within 4 weeks via postal office. 

Part wasn't urgent, they the cheapest even with delivery and vat and was over Xmas and new year period