One day MTB events - 2022 ?

ChrisF

How about some downhill events instead of all this marathon stuff guys - there's at least 4 WC DH events this year- first is this weekend. All you need is a trail bike, a FF helmet and some knee pads.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Good point about people hesitant to enter, a lot of people don't want to risk loosing their entry fees so even when they want to do an event they will wait until the last possible minute to enter. Must make it very difficult for organisers with large upfront expenses.

I am in that exact situation now.

Serious about doing the Trans Augrabies in June .... not so serious about paying for the event and accommodation so far in advance ....

Thankfully one can register for this until end May .... by which time accommodation might get tricky .... 

Must be incredibly difficult for the organisers to plan under these conditions, and with riders waiting to the end before committing.

Edited by ChrisF

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

I am in that exact situation now.

Serious about doing the Trans Augrabies in June .... not so serious about paying for the event and accommodation so far in advance ....

Thankfully one can register for this until end May .... by which time accommodation might get tricky .... 

Trans Augrabies is an event I digged, I would say its worth booking your accommodation and if for some reason the event is cancelled then still go through with your mtb and do your own rides in the park & surrounds. (I can't see us getting locked down to the extent again that we are not allowed to travel within SA)

2 hours ago, Headshot said:

How about some downhill events instead of all this marathon stuff guys - there's at least 4 WC DH events this year- first is this weekend. All you need is a trail bike, a FF helmet and some knee pads.

I don't have the skills - I like the marathons because it gives me a good workout, always have loved endurance sports, and the trails are whithin the limits of my abilities.

2 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Trans Augrabies is an event I digged, I would say its worth booking your accommodation and if for some reason the event is cancelled then still go through with your mtb and do your own rides in the park & surrounds. (I can't see us getting locked down to the extent again that we are not allowed to travel within SA)

Thanks, excellent idea :thumbup:

23 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I don't have the skills - I like the marathons because it gives me a good workout, always have loved endurance sports, and the trails are whithin the limits of my abilities.

Also, these events typically offer shorter routes when the family goes along for the day ....

And I dont want to be the one holding up the field on a long DH ... :whistling:

3 hours ago, Headshot said:

And a good medical aid.

2 minutes ago, W Smith said:

And a good medical aid.

Not really, more people get injured more badly on marathon events and just riding around than at DH races. You're wearing protection and your mindset is different.

7 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

Quite a few still happen on the garden route thankfully but it must be tough for organizers to attract sponsors when there is no guarantee of the event taking place 

You must look at the ride calendar .... LOTS of gravel events.

20 hours ago, ChrisF said:

What happened to the one day MTB events ?

The various cycling calendars lists a host of multi-day stage races.  Hardly any one day events to be found.

Searching for the likes of:

- Fine Breede

- Backsberg

- Napier patatfees

The classic day out in the sun with the farm type bazaar at the end ....

Ironically, I did not get to do the two day stage race of the Stanford Classic in February 2020 .... now this one is a one day ride.  :P  THIS is still very much unfinished business for me, a stage race that I must do .... paid for 2020, but was sidelined due to a knee injury.  

I am looking for one-day events.  Both shorter events that Maritz (10-year old) can do with me, as well as longer rides to push my limits.

Prince Albert 30 April . Gran Fondo 170km , Ebike race cross Swartberg Pass and back mini fondo for Maritz or casual ride with our youngsters.

16 minutes ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Prince Albert 30 April . Gran Fondo 170km , Ebike race cross Swartberg Pass and back mini fondo for Maritz or casual ride with our youngsters.

Already entered.... my dance card is pretty full .... double header next weekend with trailseeker and Winelands, 99er after that, tour du cap, ctct, Boland gravel monster then swartberg, then eroica nova which I may bail on because then it's 36one the week after that.... What doesn't kill .....

No shortage of good times. Making hay while the sun shines 

2 hours ago, Mamil said:

Already entered.... my dance card is pretty full .... double header next weekend with trailseeker and Winelands, 99er after that, tour du cap, ctct, Boland gravel monster then swartberg, then eroica nova which I may bail on because then it's 36one the week after that.... What doesn't kill .....

No shortage of good times. Making hay while the sun shines 

Eroica - use as recovery ride 😂