One day MTB events - 2022 ?

ChrisF

What happened to the one day MTB events ?

The various cycling calendars lists a host of multi-day stage races.  Hardly any one day events to be found.

Searching for the likes of:

- Fine Breede

- Backsberg

- Napier patatfees

The classic day out in the sun with the farm type bazaar at the end ....

Ironically, I did not get to do the two day stage race of the Stanford Classic in February 2020 .... now this one is a one day ride.  :P  THIS is still very much unfinished business for me, a stage race that I must do .... paid for 2020, but was sidelined due to a knee injury.  

I am looking for one-day events.  Both shorter events that Maritz (10-year old) can do with me, as well as longer rides to push my limits.

Edited by ChrisF
content

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Went the way of the dodo .... here in GP anyway. Lion Man, Crater Cruise,  Magies Monster and more, big and small.

I think Baberton is the only one day event of significance to survive (highly recommend!), now in May.

What happened? Some part of it may have been when a certain group that ran a certain series sponsored by car company bought rights to other independent events and closed them down to focus on the bigger ones.

They also started to play with the format, making some events two day, The shorter 40/20k events on the same day as the big attraction on the Saturday. Which ruled out a chilled Sunday ride with the family.

Also it was all going horns with MTN sponsorship, then that stopped, then that financial group stepped in, what with MTB being the new golf, and as soon as I say the VIP tent in the finish area I knew is was the end of an era.

So events became a big show, cost lots of money to lay on and without a headline sponsor they were unsustainable.

Could also be the times we live in: people less inclined to travel out of town on a regular basis for safety, economic and other reasons.  Me.

MTB could well be less of a fad than it became. Pop will eat itself. Will we ever learn?

I also think a lot of event companies didn't survive 2 years with no income and the little bit of rollover they have is being kept close to their chests.

There are a lot less events in general. Running, cycling, music... across the board these companies have been bleeding money and the outlay to put on an event is probably beyond most of them these days without big sponsor buy in.

Never mind fads, the events industry is in ruins

11 hours ago, ChrisF said:

What happened to the one day MTB events ?

Short answer: Covid 

Two years of uncertainty, strict regulations around events and participants hesitancy to pre-enter for events that mat get axed has taken it's toll. 

They will pop up again eventually. I won't be surprised if the events like Paratfees that are part of a bigger picture comes back by next year. 

37 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

Short answer: Covid 

Two years of uncertainty, strict regulations around events and participants hesitancy to pre-enter for events that mat get axed has taken it's toll. 

They will pop up again eventually. I won't be surprised if the events like Paratfees that are part of a bigger picture comes back by next year. 

Good point about people hesitant to enter, a lot of people don't want to risk loosing their entry fees so even when they want to do an event they will wait until the last possible minute to enter. Must make it very difficult for organisers with large upfront expenses.

12 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Ironically, I did not get to do the two day stage race of the Stanford Classic in February 2020 .... now this one is a one day ride.  :P  THIS is still very much unfinished business for me, a stage race that I must do .... paid for 2020, but was sidelined due to a knee injury.  

Then why not do the Stanford Classic given that you are looking for one-day events?

I'm hoping some of the older events will return to the calendar once the covid threat has receded.

13 hours ago, ChrisF said:

I too have unfinished business with a one day Marathon race in Grabouw (Tiletoria Elgin MTB).

Had a major mechanical that took me out while climbing Groenlandberg. Promised myself i would return the next year. But alas that was the last edition of the race. Hoping it would pop up again or any similar race with similar route in that region just for retribution....

Was thinking of just going out there and riding the route myself if the race never happens again but then i believe Paul Cluver is closed to the public......

Guess it will always remain unfinished.............