First GPS computer... what to buy

Arie Harris

So I am looking for a gps computer and dont want t break the bank.

I have been looking at the following 

Sigma rox 11

Garmin 130 plus

Lezyene Mega C 

There is a bit of a price difference but this is part of the question, would paying more for the garmin be worth it.

I am an average biker who just wants to see my trips, progress and share on strava.

Thanks

Edited by Arie Harris

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Arrie, congratulations on the first post 😁.

The big thing with GPS and or wrist units are: The more information the unit can provide and the easier it is to upload to the various platforms the more and better you want. I suppose it is human nature rather than the GPS but you get my drift. 

But here's my opinion: Go for the brand that is well known and provides the best support after the sale. But to read up on reviews your best bet will be to go to DC RainMaker. He really knows his stuff and will give you a real good idea of what to get: DC Rainmaker 

Good luck with the purchase

I can't comment on the Garmin and Lezyene, but I was very impressed with the Sigma Rox 11's capabilities and used it for years before passing on to my wife.. 5 years later she is still using it. It even has Strava Live Segments. That was a complete surprise for me at that price point.

If you are looking at Garmin you might as well add Wahoo to your list to compare. I'm very happy with my Wahoo Roam. The Wahoo Elemnt Bolt might be worth looking at to compare with the Garmin.

https://averagejoecyclist.com/wahoo-elemnt-bolt-vs-garmin-edge-130-plus/

Edited by JohanDiv

The Lezyne Mega C has been discontinued, although there might be stock at a few retailers. The alternative is the Mega XL.

that said, the Garmin 130, although a smaller unit, is similarly priced. It lacks some of the features of the Lezyne, but is adequate. 

As mentioned above, different strokes from different okes. Some are die-hard Garmin users, others not. For me personally, Garmin has the best after sales support(and that is my non-professional opinion). Perhaps if possible, and you have friends/family with the aabove-mentioned devices, test a device before purchase, as the user interface differs, find one that is easy to use, fits your budget and needs. 

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

I guess any one of them should be fine as it will be my first gps. 

Seem like Toyota vs Ford or Glock vs CZ. 

On the classifieds there are a few Garmin 130 plus for sale at about R3k to R3.5k then there is a Sigma Rox 11 for R1700 so I guess if the garmin is not that much better then the sigma could be a good starting point.

Edited by Arie Harris

I'm in the same boat (buying my first GPS cycling computer), but leaning towards garmin.

Mainly because I had excellent after sales experience with them before. My forerunner GPS watch was unable to pick up GPS signal any longer, this was just after the warranty expired. I still sent it to them to have a look at - they just sent me a brand new watch, free of charge. Only paid courier fees.

They certainly won my loyalty.

11 minutes ago, Kameel said:

I'm in the same boat (buying my first GPS cycling computer), but leaning towards garmin.

Mainly because I had excellent after sales experience with them before. My forerunner GPS watch was unable to pick up GPS signal any longer, this was just after the warranty expired. I still sent it to them to have a look at - they just sent me a brand new watch, free of charge. Only paid courier fees.

They certainly won my loyalty.

Nice

I get that garmin has been around for many years and has been top 🐕 and probably still is.

I like to give other brands a chance to see what they bring to the table, thing is I have never owned garmin device or a gps computer so I can not compare.

All I know is that I can't keep using my phone for tracking as mistakes happen and paying for screen replacements gets expensive.

The garmin platform trumps all others, so while all the devices play on a similar field, the back office with Garmin is light years ahead.

Devices are a dime a dozen. The years and years of experience pulled into the Garmin app makes all the difference.

It's easy to use, has a natural flow and doesn't involve much input. 

7 minutes ago, edgarblount said:

Wait for Black Friday\Cyber Monday 2022 and get the Garmin Edge 530 for R3300-00 from Amazon Deutschland!

You will never look back!

That’s a long time to wait… 😁

Some good advice.

1: What is your budget

2: What is going tobe main use: Data, HR, Power Meter, Turn bu turn etc.

What do you expect to ride. Short or long distances.

I am not a fan off  garmin: Would buy anything else before considering Garmin. Including Mapbook

Using lexyne for many years Best battery life and functions (Bang for Back) and also good after sales. 

I've only ever owned Garmin and I like them. I know the OP looking at the 130 but the 830 navigation has me even more firmly in their fan base. It does have some glitches I have found it invaluable when riding in unfamiliar places.