First GPS computer... what to buy

Arie Harris

Do agree to a point.

down side with phones are always going to be battery life.

Like Whats-app live tracking. great but eats battery life and phones also dependent on Cell towers. GPS dependent of satellites.

And then if you OTB not sure phones gonna like that much

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

There are definitely ways to do that.

You can get a garmin ears stick on the the back of a secure case, you can use https://sp-connect.com/ SP connect and there are a few other options.

Realistically as phones get better, apps get more integrates and accessories universally interactive, specific bike computers become more and more redundant.

My very first tracking software I used, before I bought my first Forerunner watch, was Endomondo! I think it has subsequently been discountinued. 

22 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

You can get a garmin ears stick on the the back of a secure case, you can use https://sp-connect.com/ SP connect and there are a few other options.

Realistically as phones get better, apps get more integrates and accessories universally interactive, specific bike computers become more and more redundant.

my edge 130 is cheap, small and compact and not flashy enough to catch the eye of the "long fingered", it also has a range of sensors that I use.

Plus if I remember from previous discussions on the hub, the frequency at which a head unit ping the satellite is more than a phone, thus giving slightly more accurate readings.

Actually a mate of mine has a fitness watch (cant recall the brand) and whenever we ride together there are clear differences in things like elevation, I'm pretty sure this boils down to the frequency of the sat ping.

2 minutes ago, ouzo said:

my edge 130 is cheap, small and compact and not flashy enough to catch the eye of the "long fingered", it also has a range of sensors that I use.

Plus if I remember from previous discussions on the hub, the frequency at which a head unit ping the satellite is more than a phone, thus giving slightly more accurate readings.

Actually a mate of mine has a fitness watch (cant recall the brand) and whenever we ride together there are clear differences in things like elevation, I'm pretty sure this boils down to the frequency of the sat ping.

Hang on.... These are all settings.

An old Sony Xperia has more computing power than your head unit and is dust/waterproof. So with the right app and the right settings, it could easily read all the attachments and be just as accurate.

I'm not suggesting it exists as it stands, I'm saying that as Apps are released and things become more and more integrated, the need to own one gets less and less.

I also don't see the need for such intense accuracy. We are all mediocre hackers. The body clock/fatigue readings interest and guide me way more than distance/speed/ascent etc

Head units are seriously basic, they just have software and settings that allow them to have a place. I'm 100% sure that the same software will be an app soon that then runs the phone settings while active.

IMHO the market and the brands are dictating the terms so that their market segment stays alive. 

I recently started using a Garmin sports watch. To me this is the way to go and its useful for other activities too. (It also overstates my meters climbed per ride which I kind of like 🙂 )

1 hour ago, Spy007 said:

Do agree to a point.

down side with phones are always going to be battery life.

Like Whats-app live tracking. great but eats battery life and phones also dependent on Cell towers. GPS dependent of satellites.

And then if you OTB not sure phones gonna like that much

I just have never been entirely comfortable with the idea of tying a R10K, "flimsy-ish", oversized piece of tech to my handlebar and then go ride on rough terrain on the mountains. For me there are potentially just so many things that can go wrong.

Edited by Skubarra

54 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

This. Quadlock or Sp-connect. Quadlock used to be sold at Sportsmans warehouse, SP connect you can get through takelot and a few other places. I know CWC has some on the shelf too. They are nice cases regardless of their mounting capabilities. Rode this way on my mtb before it got expropriated without compensation . Now i just switch the app on, connect H10 and chuck the phone in my frame bag and enjoy the scenery and look at the ‘damage’ when i get back.

3B4EA037-0C7D-4057-9769-03D7B6B806E8.webp

CB10FE94-F5EC-4C7F-A0C2-47303E8CC8DA.jpeg

6D4115D2-E32F-4A42-B068-DE340B1ACC1E.jpeg

4699184C-8BF9-4BB3-83FF-F9B6FBA72BDF.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

3 minutes ago, MORNE said:

This. Quadlock or Sp-connect. Quadlock used to be sold at Sportsmans warehouse, SP connect you can get through takelot and a few other places. I know CWC has some on the shelf too. They are nice cases regardless of their mounting capabilities. Rode this way on my mtb before it got expropriated without compensation . Now i just switch the app on, connect H10 and chuck the phone in my frame bag and enjoy the scenery and look at the ‘damage’ when i get back.

3B4EA037-0C7D-4057-9769-03D7B6B806E8.webp

CB10FE94-F5EC-4C7F-A0C2-47303E8CC8DA.jpeg

6D4115D2-E32F-4A42-B068-DE340B1ACC1E.jpeg

4699184C-8BF9-4BB3-83FF-F9B6FBA72BDF.jpeg

Ja, I posted the link to SP connect above.

I'm also not sure how it's any different having a 5k bike computer strapped to the handlebars and a 10k phone in a pocket vs just a 10k phone (or as above, a Sony Xperia for 3k) strapped to the handlebars.

If you fall you fall. If you're robbed you're robbed.

Look, I have a head unit. BUT I'm not blind to the fact that I only have it because the market convinced me I needed it. 

These days I don't think you do. I'm not blind to the fact that things are changing and I don't buy into 'It's better because it says/I was convinced it's better'

14 hours ago, ChrisF said:

In that case .... ;)

Could I do that with a Garmin strap and app?  

OR ... is it possible to export such a ride from the Polar app (I still have my Polar strap) to Garmin Connect ... purely to keep all my records in one spot

Not sure. If i recall i did some homework and polar was one of the few that were cross compatible with other stuff. Cant remember. The H10 does ANT+, BLE and gymlink. They connect to almost anything. And can connect to two devices at once. My wife uses hers at the gym on the cardio machines too.
 You can  also store a training session if you dont want to take a device with you…like  for swimming/watersports etc.  Its an expensive piece of kit these days. i think they are almost 2k now. (Alot imo for JUST a HR monitor). I paid almost half that for mine.
But it does everything i need when i pair it with my polar apps. Im not sure the polar apps connect to non polar devices. the polar apps sync to discovery, strava(if you use it), health apps etc as mentioned.
I dont use strava, but have it on my phone just to track milage on my bike. It pulls all the info from polar apps: routes, distance, elevation, HR etc etc as if you used strava to record it. Ive also had mine for 3 years now and the battery still reads 98% lol.

On 1/19/2022 at 8:55 AM, Cyclewizz said:

There's only 1 and that's a GARMIN !!!

Normally there's plenty in the classified section.

Should you want to buy new them the Garmin 130 or the PLUS is the starting point.

However you can get something like a Garmin 510 for about R2k, it has a touch screen & Bluetooth.

The Garmin 520 is an excellent device as well, millions sold in South Africa, slowly people are moving onto the new 530.

Garmin also has good after sales service (don't know how the others are though)

I have the 520 - actually I'm on my 3rd 520, the first 2 both died on me within the 1st year of owning them. 1st one was under warranty, unfortunately the warranty doesn't get extended on the replacement device so when the 2nd one broke I had to pay in a lot for a replacement unit.

Can't say the service I received from Garmin was good, it was a pain dealing with him and they certainly took their time sorting out my issues. There are a lot of complaints here on the hub about Garmin's service, OP can just do a quick search on the site.

Also over the last few years the prices quoted by Garmin on replacement units are not that much lower than what you would pay in the market anymore and often more expensive than what you would find on a good special.

I have been on Garmin devices for 10 years now, 1st 5 of that I was a big Garmin fanboy (the old 500 was bulletproof) but will definitely be looking at other options in the market when my 520 has to be replaced. I have fallen out of love a little with Garmin.

1 hour ago, Matu said:

epic deal! 

And below the recommended retail price of the unit on its own.

I can get a garmin @ -50% (well one under R6000) at sportmans warehouse if anyone is intersted. taking bids at 75% retail price?

haha (just kidding).

keeping that for something i can use later in the year.  Wife got her H10 for -40% because she sucks at excersize 👀

Again thank all for their contributions to this topic.

So far my mind is at Garmin or Lezyne and the smaller units are well worth it.

Then there are people saying use your phone, the problem with that it is big and the readings like gps is not always that good. I personally am using my phone atm and want to change that.

The other option I have seen is to get a watch like the forerunner, this way it is multi purpose. The only thing is that you will not have a screen to have a peak at. 

25 minutes ago, Arie Harris said:

Again thank all for their contributions to this topic.

So far my mind is at Garmin or Lezyne and the smaller units are well worth it.

Then there are people saying use your phone, the problem with that it is big and the readings like gps is not always that good. I personally am using my phone atm and want to change that.

The other option I have seen is to get a watch like the forerunner, this way it is multi purpose. The only thing is that you will not have a screen to have a peak at. 

You can get a mount and put the watch on the handle bars, like that you have a screen in front of you. Obviously a watch doesn't have as many data fields on the screen as the computer but you can always setup multiple screens and have it auto scroll.