Stolen: Specialized S Works Epic 2021 (Free State)

garethsiv

4 minutes ago, copperhead said:

Wow man. Hectic. That looks like a normal seat post to me. Sorry for your loss. Does the lodge not have any insurance? 

The lodge will have all sorts of disclaimers and indemnities.

Insurance will cover you at least. Not sure they will need proof that it was locked.  

sorry for your loss

my insurance covered my bike theft off a locked thule, they just wanted a photo of the damaged lock,,,luckily I had it on cctv also, but they didn`t even want to see that (mine was only locked on the thule arm) If you see how fast they remove a bike off a locked thule you wont even stop on the side of a road for a leak, its that fast

I am confident enough to say he got it off quicker than me looking for the key unlocking and removing it 

Mine was pulled of at a traffic light. I pulled away before he could get the wheels out of the straps. 

That part takes longer than removing the locked arms on a Thule.

Now I have a thick ******** of chain with a u-lock going through both bike frames and around the base of the rack. Only way is to steal the rack off the car with both bikes attached. 

Still working on a solution there by welding a shackle to the towbar itself so I can run the chain through that and through the bikes. That leaves stealing the car. 

december I carried my bikes in and out of all my hotel stops, I wont leave it on a rack unless I can "sprint" to it, they are fast like lightning 

On 1/19/2022 at 10:57 AM, Steady Spin said:

The lodge will have all sorts of disclaimers and indemnities.

Insurance will cover you at least. Not sure they will need proof that it was locked.  

On 1/19/2022 at 11:07 AM, DIPSLICK said:

sorry for your loss

my insurance covered my bike theft off a locked thule, they just wanted a photo of the damaged lock,,,luckily I had it on cctv also, but they didn`t even want to see that (mine was only locked on the thule arm) If you see how fast they remove a bike off a locked thule you wont even stop on the side of a road for a leak, its that fast

I am confident enough to say he got it off quicker than me looking for the key unlocking and removing it 

On 1/19/2022 at 11:14 AM, Steady Spin said:

Mine was pulled of at a traffic light. I pulled away before he could get the wheels out of the straps. 

That part takes longer than removing the locked arms on a Thule.

Now I have a thick ******** of chain with a u-lock going through both bike frames and around the base of the rack. Only way is to steal the rack off the car with both bikes attached. 

Still working on a solution there by welding a shackle to the towbar itself so I can run the chain through that and through the bikes. That leaves stealing the car. 

On 1/19/2022 at 11:20 AM, DIPSLICK said:

december I carried my bikes in and out of all my hotel stops, I wont leave it on a rack unless I can "sprint" to it, they are fast like lightning 

OP sorry for your loss. 

I love Thule. Always have. But this "bike got stolen off rack" story is becoming irritating. Cheapest Thule combo is 7k, and the risk of theft is the same as leaving it in the back of a bakkie. I did send them a message asking them that the safety of our bikes is always at risk, and attached is the response: 

"Hello! Security is one of the most important details that we always consider when developing our products. Both safety in use and against theft.
Secure lock and to make it possible to attach the equipment in a firm grip, reinforced lockable cables etc are some details we work with. 
It should never be easy to steal equipment. But unfortunately, it is impossible to fully secure against theft.
Valuable equipment or if you are in an environment where the risk is large for theft one should never leave the equipment unattended at your car.
We are sorry for the inconvenience. Unfortunately no one is free from individuals who cannot distinguish between yours and mine - even if you have attached your equipment as safe as possible.
We cannot be held liable for the actions of thieves. The only thing we can advise is to file a complaint at your local police station for theft and possibly speak to your insurance company. All the best,"

On 1/21/2022 at 7:44 AM, copperhead said:

But it is true. Write to Toyota and tell them a bakkie was stolen in SA. What do you think their reply will be? Their system is pretty weak but imagine a supplier got a letter every time something of theirs got stolen. Write to Yale and tell them one of their links was broken and your stuff stolen. Let's see the replies. 

Oh well here we go. Toyota half benefit from theft; some buy another, others (quite a few) another brand. And they did listen to criticism about being easy to steal by introducing a protector plate over vulnerable parts. As for Yale, they should care if their locks say, don't provide adequate security or break easily (I'm sure there are YouTube comparisons for this). If they don't, they will lose market share.

Thule, well I would think they could see an opportunity to knock about some good Swedish steel into an impregnable bike lock and sell it for a few 1 000ZAR.

On 1/21/2022 at 7:44 AM, copperhead said:

But it is true. Write to Toyota and tell them a bakkie was stolen in SA. What do you think their reply will be? Their system is pretty weak but imagine a supplier got a letter every time something of theirs got stolen. Write to Yale and tell them one of their links was broken and your stuff stolen. Let's see the replies. 

1 hour ago, mazambaan said:

Oh well here we go. Toyota half benefit from theft; some buy another, others (quite a few) another brand. And they did listen to criticism about being easy to steal by introducing a protector plate over vulnerable parts. As for Yale, they should care if their locks say, don't provide adequate security or break easily (I'm sure there are YouTube comparisons for this). If they don't, they will lose market share.

Thule, well I would think they could see an opportunity to knock about some good Swedish steel into an impregnable bike lock and sell it for a few 1 000ZAR.

Am actually beginning to think that way as well. 

Because of there was a problem with a product, they would fix it. How many times have people claimed from insurance and gotten a new wheel? My Amarok one cost 13k via insurance. Now I have had to make a friend make a plate to avoid them from even trying. But the theft issue is out of control. Almost every weekend someone has been hit. I don’t believe the export to Mozambique story, there are people buying these bikes. And some of them are amongst us 😡

You do get locking systems for the spare wheel - Toyota sell one that I have BUT it is a piddly little lock albeit in a difficult place to break. Previously I hade a chain in plastic but after fitting and additional fuel tank I could not use this. Thieving swines abound from top to bottom in SA.