Bernal and Carapaz narrowly avoid collision with car while training

OVERDRIVE

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

didnt watch the vid, but the way the article describe is its sounds like a normal day out on SA roads

did watch the video, and the worse part is that I found nothing really shocking... I guess you're right, I see taxis doing worse on a daily basis so we're pretty much used to it

Wonder if they had similar SA-like motorist reaction lambasting them for not being in single file or just for being on the same road.? 🤷‍♂️

So, nobody really paid much attention to this particular incident, but things really got worse from there with Egan vs the bus. 

Then Rivera also binned it:
(No detail on how though)

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brandon-rivera-in-same-hospital-as-egan-bernal-after-second-ineos-crash-in-colombia/

And then Imogen Cotter was hit by a car in Spain. I imagine it was similar to the first Bernal/Carapaz scenario

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/imogen-cotter-hit-by-driver-of-car-while-training-in-spain/

https://road.cc/content/news/pidcock-tt-bikes-too-dangerous-training-public-roads-289857#:~:text=Tom Pidcock says that it,of the riding position involved.

Interesting article. Spending time on the TT bike myself and training in the position recommended at bikefit with aero in mind it is actually pretty sketchy. Unfortunately I sold my IDT because I like riding outdoors and have time on my hands. 

I don't think it'll ever happen, but in my opinion TT bikes don't have a place in road cycling.

• Extra costs and emissions to fly and cart around a second fleet of bikes for every team.
  • Extra resources for mechanics required.
  • Amplified time gaps to the teams with lower budgets.
  • Zero entertainment value from the higher speed vs doing road bike TTs

How many careers ruined by bikes and riding positions where control is 2nd priority and safety a complete afterthought. Think Froome would have veered out of control from a gust of wind on his road bike? Think ex world mountain bike champ Rasmussen would have crashed four times and lost the TdF on a road bike TT?

Ever seen a road bike do this in a sweeping bend?

7 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

I don't think it'll ever happen, but in my opinion TT bikes don't have a place in road cycling.

• Extra costs and emissions to fly and cart around a second fleet of bikes for every team.
  • Extra resources for mechanics required.
  • Amplified time gaps to the teams with lower budgets.
  • Zero entertainment value from the higher speed vs doing road bike TTs

How many careers ruined by bikes and riding positions where control is 2nd priority and safety a complete afterthought. Think Froome would have veered out of control from a gust of wind on his road bike? Think ex world mountain bike champ Rasmussen would have crashed four times and lost the TdF on a road bike TT?

Ever seen a road bike do this in a sweeping bend?

I really don't think this is an unpopular opinion. I saw someone suggest a transition to more road bike TT and making the TT its own discipline. I really enjoy it and geeking out over the bike and position and stuff. But I can totally see where the argument is coming from and agree with a lot of it. 

Dan you should get yourself a membership at killarney and ride your TT bike for two hours on your own on monday evenings. It's nice and quiet, and safe

6 hours ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I really don't think this is an unpopular opinion. I saw someone suggest a transition to more road bike TT and making the TT its own discipline. I really enjoy it and geeking out over the bike and position and stuff. But I can totally see where the argument is coming from and agree with a lot of it. 

I feel nothing for TT bikes. Once the time trial starts I know it’s a free day for me, adding to the dangers which it now poses…