Chain Destroyer

Alessandro

Looking for your guys input please, I know this is always the place to come for it. Long story short a friend of mine has a 2015 Scott 960 that has never given him much trouble, that is until he didn't secure it to his bike rack properly and it came off, although not at high speed and not long after he drove off. The damage didn't seem to be that much and was a broken spoke and some aesthetic damage which his LBS sorted out. However he started having trouble with gears jumping when under force up hills etc. It then ended up actually breaking the chain. The LBS tried a few times to get it right, changed the chain, rear derailleur and I'm not too sure what else. Gears still jumped and then they finally promised him it was sorted and that they straightened something which I understood to be the derailleur hanger. The chain snapped again and he resorted to buying a new bike. I decided to give the old one a test run this morning and lo and behold the chain snapped again after just 20km, Brand new chain. I'm not heavy on chains, this is the first one I've broken. I want to help him sort it out with the view of possibly buying it because it actually rode really well until the chain snapped, the gears did jump a handful of times when under force but was otherwise a pleasure. I don't want to go through a trial and error exercise unless I have to, What do you think should be checked and replaced first. It's an old groupset so I'm considering upgrading it to 1*11 eventually but if its not even a drivetrain problem but something else like bent, frame? Then it will be pointless. If anyone has any similar experience or advice it would be greatly appreciated.

5 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

new chain snapping is likey cause it wasn't joined correctly 

Would have to be a crappy mechanic to have done a bad join on multiple chains.

Does the chain snap and hop in random gears or is it a particular gear? If a particular gear, I reckon the cassette itself is damaged, likely a small bend in it which is causing the chain to bind to the cassette which in turn would cause it to hop and with enough force, snap.

27 minutes ago, Daniel Amos said:

Would have to be a crappy mechanic to have done a bad join on multiple chains.

Does the chain snap and hop in random gears or is it a particular gear? If a particular gear, I reckon the cassette itself is damaged, likely a small bend in it which is causing the chain to bind to the cassette which in turn would cause it to hop and with enough force, snap.

skipping is worn down teeth 

joinging incorrectly more than once is very unlikely but not impossible 

If its got the NX...setup with NX derailleur geT rid of THE NX Derailiur keep the rest put on a shimano xt derailiur...it works with the nx shifter...or go slx shifter

Replace the freewheel body bearings and run with a sram gx chan

7 hours ago, HowardSteele said:

If its got the NX...setup with NX derailleur geT rid of THE NX Derailiur keep the rest put on a shimano xt derailiur...it works with the nx shifter...or go slx shifter

Replace the freewheel body bearings and run with a sram gx chan

He did say he wants to 'upgrade' to 1x so I doubt it's NX ... generally speaking you have to put a damn lot of pressure to BREAK a chain especially if it's new. Have the new chains all been fitted by the same mechanic? If so bad joins could be a remote possibility, that being said only if they are not using 'quick links'

Doesn't help much but a picture of the chain where it broke and whether it has a quick link may help ... that's just my hacker thoughts though!

Thanks a lot for the feedback, appreciate it. To answer some of your questions it does seem to happen in 1, maximum 2 particular gears in the middle of the cassette so very likely it could be the cassette. I also want to have the derailleur hanger checked as that is still bothering me. It was the same shop fitting the new chains. I have attached a picture of the broken chain from yesterday. It's not an NX groupset, still running an old 9*3 setup. Thanks again.

IMG_8600 1.jpg

3 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Thanks a lot for the feedback, appreciate it. To answer some of your questions it does seem to happen in 1, maximum 2 particular gears in the middle of the cassette so very likely it could be the cassette. I also want to have the derailleur hanger checked as that is still bothering me. It was the same shop fitting the new chains. I have attached a picture of the broken chain from yesterday. It's not an NX groupset, still running an old 9*3 setup. Thanks again.

IMG_8600 1.jpg

that chain was joined incorrectly 99% sure 

worn chains usually snap a plate or the pin just disappears all together