Incident Total garage on Malibongwe

_David_

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Milosh said:

Wishing HJW strength today as they represent the families and greater cycling community, thank you for everything done so far and good luck for today  

Court appearance means we'll get a name and shame of this suspect.

Impressed to see this is getting some media mileage.

Edited by Shebeen
grammar

3 minutes ago, Spy007 said:

The wife does the layout for a truck publication, and they report on the annual road deaths in their publications. I’m always amazed that they (Government) makes an effort over Easter and Christmas/New Year but don’t worry about the other 10 months where the average monthly figure is about the same.

I remember posting here, about 10 or so years back, the number of cyclists killed in SA Roads; think it was close to 600 for the one year. 600/12000 = 5%

I am glad to see that HJW are making the effort to ensure that this trend of disregarding the basic laws pertaining to traffic in SA are getting the required treatment in a court of law. I'm both shocked, and yet unsurprised to learn that the driver of the Porsche was driving with an expired licence disc. To me it clarifies an underlying disrespect for the rule of law which would lead to fleeing the scene of an accident to protect their own skin, with no regard for possible injury to whomever was crashed into.

Couple that with the national weekend sport of driving while intoxicated and we have a recipe for disaster which is being swept under the rug by an inept police force in South Africa who would rather get a person charged with causing the death of another human being while "allegedly" intoxicated off the hook than need to do their job investigating the accident.

49 minutes ago, Paulst12 said:

'Drunk' cop arrested for allegedly knocking over, killing cyclist in Vanderbijlpark
https://www.news24.com/news24/southafrica/news/drunk-cop-arrested-for-allegedly-knocking-over-killing-cyclist-in-vanderbijlpark-20220206

Shocking in every sense of the word... common denominator is alcohol !!!

This is disgusting and needs to stop. This nation is at the ragged edge of losing control.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

The wife does the layout for a truck publication, and they report on the annual road deaths in their publications. I’m always amazed that they (Government) makes an effort over Easter and Christmas/New Year but don’t worry about the other 10 months where the average monthly figure is about the same.

I remember posting here, about 10 or so years back, the number of cyclists killed in SA Roads; think it was close to 600 for the one year. 600/12000 = 5%

yes, from memory the xmas/easter holiday death toll is only about 10/15% above the average figures. No reason to focus on it so intently when the problem is clearly endemic.

Are you sure on 600 cyclists death toll per annum, is that not accidents maybe and not fatalities? I would battle to stomach that almost 2 cyclists per day are being killed on the roads. We are clearly missing many incidents if it is even close to that.

47 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

yes, from memory the xmas/easter holiday death toll is only about 10/15% above the average figures. No reason to focus on it so intently when the problem is clearly endemic.

Are you sure on 600 cyclists death toll per annum, is that not accidents maybe and not fatalities? I would battle to stomach that almost 2 cyclists per day are being killed on the roads. We are clearly missing many incidents if it is even close to that.

I’m searching for that post, as well as the source docs that might still be on our NAS drive. It was published, so is out there. I just need to find it.

Edit: found one from 2006/7.

+/- 350 cyclists per year.

I’ll keep looking.

ED4F1BDD-6182-4674-899C-680AC630B445.png.f0dc701e512eb3a0339c2bdbc9ae9139.png

Edited by Frosty

If this **** does go sit for a long time, does it not then set a "standard" for future prosecutions where drivers are accused of knocking/killing cyclists? 

44 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I’m searching for that post, as well as the source docs that might still be on our NAS drive. It was published, so is out there. I just need to find it.

Edit: found one from 2006/7.

+/- 350 cyclists per year.

I’ll keep looking.

ED4F1BDD-6182-4674-899C-680AC630B445.png.f0dc701e512eb3a0339c2bdbc9ae9139.png

thanks. I think this is relevant to the discussion topic since the numbers are important.

I'm surprised to see that the figures here have bicycle fatalities higher than motorbike. I'm not sure if the dataset is actual deaths, if a taxi drives into a bunch of cyclists killing one, it could be 1 minibus and 6 bicycles counted in the stats here. It also doesn't include pedestrians as a line item, when we know they defintely get killed by cars often.

From the other source you posted, it's a pie chart where I guess it gets rounded down to zero so somewhere below 0.5%

image.png.340176937b93e60d5f39ff3db001d08a.png

2 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I am glad to see that HJW are making the effort to ensure that this trend of disregarding the basic laws pertaining to traffic in SA are getting the required treatment in a court of law. I'm both shocked, and yet unsurprised to learn that the driver of the Porsche was driving with an expired licence disc. To me it clarifies an underlying disrespect for the rule of law which would lead to fleeing the scene of an accident to protect their own skin, with no regard for possible injury to whomever was crashed into.

Couple that with the national weekend sport of driving while intoxicated and we have a recipe for disaster which is being swept under the rug by an inept police force in South Africa who would rather get a person charged with causing the death of another human being while "allegedly" intoxicated off the hook than need to do their job investigating the accident.

there more money in bribery and supporting crime than fighting it

3 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Court appearance means we'll get a name and shame of this suspect.

Impressed to see this is getting some media mileage.

because there is money behind this investigation. 

There are people who actually drive the economy behind this 

I hope they continue to push this agenda beyond the conviction which I now have no doubt they will get