2022 SA Road & TT Champs

Justin2

How should the 50 + men feel riding the same distance as junior men🤭

You got a section of the lap that has road works and a stop-go section in it.

nearest government hospital is 30km away and nearest private hospital over 100km away.

Sounds about right for the usual CSA organising.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Wagenaar do the layout? When did he last ride a bicycle? Is Alisdair Garnett not involved in the Road Commission? Surely he would've recced this. A downhill tt? Minnaar should've entered! This poor course selection was one of the reasons for me not licencing for 2022. Having to ride 4 laps of God's Window with 1900m ascent in 88km (60+ age group). What's the point of SAs? Must the races be dangerous and super hard to put off as many wannabees as possible, or what? Please enlighten this amateur

56 minutes ago, babse said:

middle of nowhere... I Mean Graskop, Mpumalanga

Having done the Clover tour a couple of times.....very good route and tough.  Unfair to the Capies........yes.  Traveling is expensive.  Then again.
Last year the Gautengers had it bad.  

Can't please everyone.

2 hours ago, buckstopper said:

Did Wagenaar do the layout? When did he last ride a bicycle? Is Alisdair Garnett not involved in the Road Commission? Surely he would've recced this. A downhill tt? Minnaar should've entered! This poor course selection was one of the reasons for me not licencing for 2022. Having to ride 4 laps of God's Window with 1900m ascent in 88km (60+ age group). What's the point of SAs? Must the races be dangerous and super hard to put off as many wannabees as possible, or what? Please enlighten this amateur

TT course is 'n joke.  There are other routes around town that is much better suited.

Regarding the God's window laps.  I think it is perfect for SA champs.  
SA's is about who the strongest age group rider is.  And so it should be.  To win the jersey should not be "easy".
You'll find that the winners of all the age cats will not be "climbers" but will be "puncheur" type riders.  

I agree with you 100%. Disagree that for my age group its a puncheur's course for 4 laps for my age group, maybe for the younger guys. If there's a climbers selection with 1km to go to the top I doubt a puncheur would get back to finish them off. 

20 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Having done the Clover tour a couple of times.....very good route and tough.  Unfair to the Capies........yes.  Traveling is expensive.  Then again.

Can't please everyone.

They should hold it in a central location ! It was held in the same place in 2000. Form what I can see preference seems to be given to Gautengers for these events !

10 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Can't please everyone.

fair point... just being a Karen from the cape 🙊

I'd just like to see the race being brought to the people and finishing in or around a major town or city!? Its a once a year event with national colours on the line... why do we have to hunt to find results nevermind coverage/update of the race

A lot promised for this year with a "major" sponsor stepping up so lets see how that goes.

28 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Can't please everyone.

13h drive from JHB to Swellendam.
18h drive from CPT to Graskop.

Fly + drive also seems more practical for Swellendam. 🤷‍♂️

17 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

13h drive from JHB to Swellendam.
18h drive from CPT to Graskop.

Fly + drive also seems more practical for Swellendam. 🤷‍♂️

I think my point was................most Gautengers did not bother with Swellendam just as most Capies won't bother with Graskop.

22 minutes ago, babse said:

I'd just like to see the race being brought to the people and finishing in or around a major town or city!? 

And I think THAT is where the "marketing team" of CSA (stop laughing) falls short.

When the event was in Pretoria, we had road closures.....hundreds and hundreds of people lining the lap with shouting and sheering and running next to you on the final climb.  It was truly magical.....almost out of a European race video.  It was beautiful to see.

And I would think exactly (if not bigger and better and more) would be true for Cape Town if it was held there.  IN TOWN.

If it was me, I'd alternate between these two cities every year.  Make it an EVENT of note.  
Traveling is easier and you will have crowds and support and infrastructure etc etc. 

Pipe dreams.

2 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Fact or perception?

Untitled2.jpg

I see 2012 and 2015 was also following the same trend ! Perhaps next year the location will be favorable.