Should e-bikes be allowed in Cycle Tour and other Races

Ravenhash

2 hours ago, Skubarra said:

I have a mate who rode that ride in one of the lower alphabet soup groups, did a few breakaways from his bunch only to see the bunch pulled back to him by a guy on a ebike. They also caught a bunch or 2 ahead of them by slipping mr e-bike. 

My ebike is limited to 32kph. If the bunch can only manage that speed when drafting in a pack then the problem isn’t the e-bike. 

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, ChrisH said:

My ebike is limited to 32kph. If the bunch can only manage that speed when drafting in a pack then the problem isn’t the e-bike. 

So basically they must get fitter and go ride in faster bunches where there aren't ebike problems?

Sure, but that doesn't negate the point I was making that ebikes impact the riding in the middle bunches. (which happen to go at about 30km/h on a good day)

Again, not exactly the end of the world but I think the perception that all ebikes ride at the tail-end of the field with no impact on anyone is wrong. 

1 minute ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

I cant wait to ride my ebike in the cycle tour fun ride with my magic marys and buzzing motor... I might even wear lycra. 

I'm going to enjoy myself and take in the views. stop for coffee along the way.

let the haters hate...

Wave to me as you pass me by!

4 minutes ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

I cant wait to ride my ebike in the cycle tour fun ride with my magic marys and buzzing motor... I might even wear lycra. 

I'm going to enjoy myself and take in the views. stop for coffee along the way.

let the haters hate...

This really p1sses me off....

Those poor tires!

Edited by Trashy
Sarcasm

4 hours ago, Ravenhash said:

Is it now completely acceptable that e-bikes are considered a Bicycle and allowed in Cycle Races? I think they should banned from Cycle Races and given an event just for them. I won't mention names but 2 riders switched bikes (one e-bike and the other on a road bike) in the 99er, yes you know who you are.

So how is this a fair result even if it's just a fun ride. I mean why then complain when Cyclist draft a truck or bus, it's then just a fun ride.

I knew this day was coming. 

Report them to the organizer and get them suspended from any CSA sanctioned event. 

So after a couple of years of E-bikes in various MTB and CTCT rides, have there been any of the potential horror story what ifs?

Have e-bikes taken out a lead bunch? Have they endangered other people more than other non e-bikers in the same field?

With actual data, where is the materialization of all of this?

It's laughable that you're so fragile that you can't see that a 'race' or 'event' is there for you to interpret as you want. For some it's a ride with mates with waterpoints, others it's a race, others it's trails/roads one wouldn't usually go to.

The horror is in your ego or in some weird deep rooted need to be more pure/bettererer/traditional or whatever else.

It's bogus. Anyway, I'm out. No one is forcing you to suck a motorized wheel. 

Get more people on the roads, more people at events, more people outside and more families enjoying the sites, events and space our country has to offer.

3 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

So after a couple of years of E-bikes in various MTB and CTCT rides, have there been any of the potential horror story what ifs?

Have e-bikes taken out a lead bunch? Have they endangered other people more than other non e-bikers in the same field?

It's laughable that you're so fragile that you can't see that a 'race' or 'event' is there for you to interpret as you want. For some it's a ride with mates with waterpoints, others it's a race, others it's trails/roads one wouldn't usually go to.

The horror is in your ego or in some weird deep rooted need to be more pure/bettererer/traditional or whatever else.

Get more people on the roads, more people at events, more people outside and more families enjoying the sites, events and space our country has to offer.

Apparently an e-bike hurt someone's feelings during last years CTCT.

But that's the worst injury / incident that I am aware of.

I honestly have no problem with people riding on e-bikes. As long as people ride with due regard for their fellow cyclist, i.e. safely, it makes no difference to me.

However, I've never understood, that given tri bars are banned for safety reasons, people are allowed to ride 70cm+ MTB handlebars in a road race. From my perspective, there are few things as scary as riding in bunch with someone  with wide handlebars.

6 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

People are fragile because they don't want to be beaten by motors?

That's a little like taking a gun to a knife fight then complaining that the knife fighters don't think it is a fair fight....

4 minutes ago, WIPEOUT 1000 said:

I honestly have no problem with people riding on e-bikes. As long as people ride with due regard for their fellow cyclist, i.e. safely, it makes no difference to me.

However, I've never understood, that given tri bars are banned for safety reasons, people are allowed to ride 70cm+ MTB handlebars in a road race. From my perspective, there are few things as scary as riding in bunch with someone  with wide handlebars.

the wide bars make it easier to bunnyhop over people

7 minutes ago, Pieterlab1 said:

Apparently an e-bike hurt someone's feelings during last years CTCT.

But that's the worst injury / incident that I am aware of.

And during this years' 99er