Should e-bikes be allowed in Cycle Tour and other Races

Ravenhash

I've really tried to reign in the feelings of righteous indignation, that little frisson of hurt pride tinged with a deep sensitivity to the unfairness of the world that rises in my craw whenever someone overtakes me on their ebike.

But I've failed

I've noticed it's worse if it's one of those road bike ones that is virtually indistinguishable from my own carbon roadie mobile. I just can't help it - a little involuntary sneer curls my lip, I can feel my eyebrows furrow in irritation, and if I really slow it down I can even catch traces of the green eyed monster in the emotional stew that wants to shout something provocative at his disappearing compression stockings that are so effortlessly leaving me behind.

It's a deep prejudice and I can't shake it. I suspect I will only be cured once I have bought one and I'm the one turning over a hard gear with low cadence up the slope to Llandudno ....

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Eldron said:

People are fragile because they don't want to be beaten by motors?

That's a little like taking a gun to a knife fight then complaining that the knife fighters don't think it is a fair fight....

But this isn't a fight, nor is it important. It's an inclusive event for people to enjoy.

Seriously.

SHOW ME THE DATA of e-bikes being more of a danger than normal bikes in the same field? Show me the data of the racing bunch (prize money etc) where an e-bike has influenced the outcome?

The e-bikers aren't the ones complaining, so you analogy is also backwards.

3 minutes ago, ChrisH said:

What about those disk brakes on road bikes hey? Disk brakes!! I felt so strongly about them that I almost wrote a letter.

Oh no!

Not disc brakes! Those things will cut other riders in half!

Just now, Jewbacca said:

But this isn't a fight, nor is it important. It's an inclusive event for people to enjoy.

Seriously.

SHOW ME THE DATA of e-bikes being more of a danger than normal bikes in the same field? Show me the data of the racing bunch (prize money etc) where an e-bike has influenced the outcome?

The e-bikers aren't the ones complaining, so you analogy is also backwards.

It is a race, a competition, a timed event where people try and do well - top whatever, less than whatever hours etc. Taking a motor to a race is a little silly (unless everyone has the same motor).

Of course the ebikers aren't complaining. Dopers, short cutters, cheats etc aren't the ones complaining either...

1 minute ago, ChrisH said:

What about those disk brakes on road bikes hey? Disk brakes!! I felt so strongly about them that I almost wrote a letter.

AGREED! But they are dumb anyway, disc rub, the absolute weight of them and they are really a farce because the tire dictates how you stop anyway.

It will never take off in the pro peleton. It's just marketing.....

Also, show me the data where people have cut their arms, hands and feet off with disc rotors? That was the biggest fear. 

Where are all the horror stories from the disc brake nay sayers? None of those fears really came to light either......

People are just afraid of change and will make up all sorts of scenarios to justify their inability to embrace the change

Just now, Eldron said:

It is a race, a competition, a timed event where people try and do well - top whatever, less than whatever hours etc. Taking a motor to a race is a little silly (unless everyone has the same motor).

Of course the ebikers aren't complaining. Dopers, short cutters, cheats etc aren't the ones complaining either...

Its only a race if you racing ... 

if you having fun and don't give a **** about time, then what ? you should not be allowed to enter cause you not a strava chaser ?

1 hour ago, Eldron said:

In many ways they are self regulating. 25kph will only really help you uphill where wind resistance doesn't really matter so sitting behind an ebike won't affect the outcome too much.

The only place I see actual conflict would be bloc headwinds (especially towards the end of a race 🙂)

I just don't understand the need - there are generally short/medium and long races - if you aren't fit enough to ride the long ride the short or medium. Work towards a goal - jumping on an ebike to finish your first 100km makes the effort meaningless.

Can't help but feel how ignorant and short sighted that last comment of yours is. 

For someone like my wife, I know and can tell you she's worked hard for her 100km finish on her ebike. She cycles on her Mtb, managing her battery and the different power modes for it to last the 100km in the first place and enjoying herself while she's at it. 

Sure she could jump on her normal Mtb and have done a shorter event, or ride the long one and suffer through it, possibly having to get a helping hand now and again or push etc, but if she's having fun all by herself on her ebike and we can chat about the same route we both completed later that evening, well why not! 

It is an achievement for her to have completed the 100km and one I'm proud of her for doing which is also building her confidence. 

Leave each to their own, if you have a chop on an ebike racing - leave him be. It's the choice of the chap behind to sit his wheel, the ebikers not forcing him. If it becomes a safety hazard then agreed start them well seperate. 

But of course they should be allowed to ride and be timed for that matter. My wife's just under 5hrs is an achievement on her ebike, ones she's proud of and I'm proud of her for. 

3 minutes ago, Eldron said:

If you discount the amount of people who enter these "races" to have a good time and get out there, I'm afraid soon you wont have any races to go to as only a small % of people are actually racing ...

1 minute ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

Its only a race if you racing ... 

if you having fun and don't give a **** about time, then what ? you should not be allowed to enter cause you not a strava chaser ?

After Danger Dassie's post and some thought I reckon ebikers at races is cool as long as they have their own category and don't use race chips/get a time/result.

Just now, Eldron said:

After Danger Dassie's post and some thought I reckon ebikers at races is cool as long as they have their own category and don't use race chips/get a time/result.

Every "race" i have done .. including a few enduro races, ebikes have always had there own category. You are racing against other ebikers...

2 minutes ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

If you discount the amount of people who enter these "races" to have a good time and get out there, I'm afraid soon you wont have any races to go to as only a small % of people are actually racing ...

Did you find out theses statistics in your latest private Poll?

Don't agree with your conclusion on unproven statistics...

Just now, RobbyB said:

Did you find out theses statistics in your latest private Poll?

Don't agree with your conclusion on unproven statistics...

try riding at the back of the pack and you see

2 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Okay so lets say that the CTCT has 35 000 riders (before CIVID figure). Are you saying all 35 000 are racing? I don' t in my wildest dreams accept that. To my mind probably 5 000 are racing and the other 30 000 are enjoying the ride. Now if you just enjoying the ride who cares if you riding alongside e bikes or not.

Im sure the Tour in the events name gives a clue. Its called the Cape Town Cycle TOUR. not the Cape Town Cycle Race.

1 minute ago, rorydewet said:

Okay so lets say that the CTCT has 35 000 riders (before CIVID figure). Are you saying all 35 000 are racing? I don' t in my wildest dreams accept that. To my mind probably 5 000 are racing and the other 30 000 are enjoying the ride. Now if you just enjoying the ride who cares if you riding alongside e bikes or not.

Im sure the Tour in the events name gives a clue. Its called the Cape Town Cycle TOUR. not the Cape Town Cycle Race.

everybody knows your time in the august is the only time that counts, why would you not be racing then ?