Should e-bikes be allowed in Cycle Tour and other Races

Ravenhash

40 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

Yes, I believe e-bikes should be allowed. Just give them their own starting batch. 

I do belief that most of us agree with this. Give them their own starting batch at the back of the field.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, ouzo said:

everybody knows your time in the august is the only time that counts, why would you not be racing then ?

I don't ride events to race, I ride events to ride, its simple. I have been cycling for close on 25 years. I have yet to do a RACE, even though i have done Argus, 94.7, Tour D' Urban , Ama Shova Shova

Edited by rorydewet
spelling

9 minutes ago, Bman said:

Can't help but feel how ignorant and short sighted that last comment of yours is. 

For someone like my wife, I know and can tell you she's worked hard for her 100km finish on her ebike. She cycles on her Mtb, managing her battery and the different power modes for it to last the 100km in the first place and enjoying herself while she's at it. 

Sure she could jump on her normal Mtb and have done a shorter event, or ride the long one and suffer through it, possibly having to get a helping hand now and again or push etc, but if she's having fun all by herself on her ebike and we can chat about the same route we both completed later that evening, well why not! 

It is an achievement for her to have completed the 100km and one I'm proud of her for doing which is also building her confidence. 

Leave each to their own, if you have a chop on an ebike racing - leave him be. It's the choice of the chap behind to sit his wheel, the ebikers not forcing him. If it becomes a safety hazard then agreed start them well seperate. 

But of course they should be allowed to ride and be timed for that matter. My wife's just under 5hrs is an achievement on her ebike, ones she's proud of and I'm proud of her for. 

Time is the big thing - someone else's wife worked harder than your wife to ride the 100km on her own steam and (theoretically) your wife could have a better time...how is that fair to the other wife? Or the other riders?

Having a motor should exclude you from timing (or your time should have a little asterisk stating that you did your time on a ebike).

Maybe BikeHub needs to run a poll to see whether the majority of cyclists (on BikeHub) enter races to race (ride for a time)...looking to improve their time...

Or just happy to ride for fun - no time required, not interested in whether they were faster/or slower that previous years.

5 minutes ago, RobbyB said:

im the below

Or just happy to ride for fun - no time required, not interested in whether they were faster/or slower that previous years.

Edited by rorydewet
bolded

6 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Time is the big thing - someone else's wife worked harder than your wife to ride the 100km on her own steam and (theoretically) your wife could have a better time...how is that fair to the other wife? Or the other riders?

Having a motor should exclude you from timing (or your time should have a little asterisk stating that you did your time on a ebike).

Speaking on behalf of my wife here, she couldn't care what her time was compared to that of the winning ladies or any other lady in the race.  But sure is interested in it herself for the effort completed.  

So by all means include an asterisk, where anyone else on their own normal bike that may take umbridge to my wife's time being faster can see she's completed it on her ebike but at the end of the day it's an achievement regardless of the time and one that shouldn't be excluded altogether is my point. 

12 minutes ago, RobbyB said:

Maybe BikeHub needs to run a poll to see whether the majority of cyclists (on BikeHub) enter races to race (ride for a time)...looking to improve their time...

Surely there should be space for both those who ride for a time/racing and those just happy to ride? Why must it be the one at the exclusion of the other? I don't think the ebikes at the back of the field are a problem but one can acknowledge that they can create problems further up the field and not just dismiss it as all about egos/elitism etc.

27 minutes ago, rorydewet said:

I don't ride events to race, I ride events to ride, its simple. I have been cycling for close on 25 years. I have yet to do a RACE, even though i have done Argus, 94.7, Tour De Urban , Ama Shova Shova

Showing your age with all the original names of the events haha.

14 minutes ago, Bman said:

Speaking on behalf of my wife here, she couldn't care what her time was compared to that of the winning ladies or any other lady in the race.  But sure is interested in it herself for the effort completed.  

So by all means include an asterisk, where anyone else on their own normal bike that may take umbridge to my wife's time being faster can see she's completed it on her ebike but at the end of the day it's an achievement regardless of the time and one that shouldn't be excluded altogether is my point. 

As you said each to their own. Me - I wouldn't feel right telling my friends I could ride a 100km if I knew I had used a motor....or it would be a step along the way to riding 100km unaided.

That doesn't take anything away from her achievements of course - each person has different goals, genetics, fortitude, money to spend on bikes etc.

Any cycling is good cycling - more cyclists is better for every cyclist.