Should e-bikes be allowed in Cycle Tour and other Races

Ravenhash

1 minute ago, Skubarra said:

Genuinely curious if he will be allowed to start in 1A if he pitches there on his e-bike

Going to be a LONELY ride .... having to take almost 4 hours before he may clock in ....

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two concerns:

1. Physical safety - the extra assistance, especially on the gradients, can create crashes if the e-biker is not skilled enough to control the output in a way that’s in harmony with the rest of the bunch.

2. Psychological safety - to the idiot on the e-bike that chirped my one bigger buddy while he was battling to getting over Suikerbossie hill under 35 degree sun, it really upset him. Poor form, Bru.

E-bikes are cool and deserve their own category. When integrated with normal bicycles, issues will arise if the individual on it is unskilled or egotistical.

41 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Genuinely curious if he will be allowed to start in 1A if he pitches there on his e-bike

Guess we’ll find out in just under 3 weeks

59 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Two concerns:

1. Physical safety - the extra assistance, especially on the gradients, can create crashes if the e-biker is not skilled enough to control the output in a way that’s in harmony with the rest of the bunch.

2. Psychological safety - to the idiot on the e-bike that chirped my one bigger buddy while he was battling to getting over Suikerbossie hill under 35 degree sun, it really upset him. Poor form, Bru.

E-bikes are cool and deserve their own category. When integrated with normal bicycles, issues will arise if the individual on it is unskilled or egotistical.

The MTB ones also have those broomsticks for handlebars.

Its like the MTBer with 800mm bars rocking up in the $ group, no thought to the other 400 riders he has to ride around. I could also rock up on a fixie with no brakes and keep up, do I do it, no as I dont want to ruin other people's day.

17 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

But this isn't a fight, nor is it important. It's an inclusive event for people to enjoy.

Seriously.

SHOW ME THE DATA of e-bikes being more of a danger than normal bikes in the same field? Show me the data of the racing bunch (prize money etc) where an e-bike has influenced the outcome?

The e-bikers aren't the ones complaining, so you analogy is also backwards.

Lack of data is the root of the problem .

17 hours ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

So teams should simply employ domestiques on e-bikes (with limiters removed). No race tag obviously.

As long as the winner was towed by an e-bike to victory, and not physically riding it then that's fine.

Seems to be acceptable according to some commenters here that believe it is not a problem.

In which event was the winner assisted by an ebike? 

43 minutes ago, W Smith said:

In which event was the winner assisted by an ebike? 

Please show me in my reply where I said that has happened?

What I was inferring is that in the current rules, this COULD poyentially happen. Then the keyboard warriors would get really annoyed I imagine........

Lol... I know this is an exaggeration but it is still funny 😁

pwuf9arnywc61.png.3d32ca928a852142630d55a8f1137231.png

Interesting read regarding conflict minerals and environmental impact of ebikes:
https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/transport-travel/shopping-guide/electric-bikes

"While we do not know of any ebike battery that comes from a company that has a good conflict minerals policy, Panasonic and Samsung both get our middle rating (which is better than the rest), although they are not without criticism in this area"

Edited by _David_

On 2/22/2022 at 9:01 AM, Longbarn Killer said:

I don't consider an eBike a bicycle and therefore I do not believe they should be allowed in any cycle events. 

What is the challenge of doing an event if you allow a motor to assist you?

I know lots of people will disagree and sometimes have valid arguments. 

I was chatting to an old aquaintence on Sat. He started cycling to lose weight. He was so proud of his 50km cycle that he did the day before, until he told me he rode an eBike.

I just couldn't bring myself to tell him "well done" 

You are missing the point.  If an e-bike causes someone to get off the couch, or better still, out of their car, it is a GOOD thing.   Many older cyclists who are no longer confident or strong enogh to ride their bikes are getting a second lease on their cycling lives. 

As long as they do not interfere with normal bikes in a race, does it really make any difference to you?

1 hour ago, _David_ said:

Lol... I know this is an exaggeration but it is still funny 😁

pwuf9arnywc61.png.3d32ca928a852142630d55a8f1137231.png

Interesting read regarding conflict minerals and environmental impact of ebikes:
https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/transport-travel/shopping-guide/electric-bikes

"While we do not know of any ebike battery that comes from a company that has a good conflict minerals policy, Panasonic and Samsung both get our middle rating (which is better than the rest), although they are not without criticism in this area"

Anyone who in any way compares the ecological damage of an e-bike to a car must be confused.  e-Bikes present one simple way to get people out of cars that would otherwise not consider using a bicycle to get anywhere.

"eBikes Sorry to break it to you if you're an eMTB detractor, but battery-powered bikes are driving the industry forward at the moment. While giant multi-nationals probably aren't paying attention to who is winning the EWS-E, they definitely are looking at the changing ways people are getting around cities. E-bikes, electric scooters and electric cars are the transport of the future and rather than start from ground zero, investors want to own companies that already have a foot in the door. Porsche buying a majority stake in Greyp and investing in Fazua is a perfect example of this."

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/why-are-so-many-bike-companies-being-bought.html

13 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Going to be a LONELY ride .... having to take almost 4 hours before he may clock in ....

Just saying - if race organisers like those of the CTCT actually made the minimum of effort to enforce their rules around ebikes and not just let it be a free-for-all like for this clown, then the sceptics among us might just be much more accepting of ebikes in the field.