Best way to pump shocks without a proper shock pump

Matthew du preez

Hi guys. So I'm riding the Berg en Dale mtb 45km race on Sunday and I haven't ridden for about 2 months... Anyway I went to check on my bike... And Lo behold my rear shock is pup... 

So if I can't get a pump in time.. how can I pump them?? I've got a compressor. But I can't get the head on ... You know you there isn't much space between the nozzle and the shock...

Please any ideas are welcome

Thanks

Matthew

Take it to your LBS they will happily pump it free of charge. Addressing the elephant in the room....Hopefully the pressure will hold. Might be a good idea to ride the bike over a rough trail or stand it upside down for a few hours to circulate the aircan oil a bit to lube the seals. Also maybe BEFORE you pump it make sure the aircan is (hand) tight enough....

1 minute ago, love2fly said:

Take it to your LBS they will happily pump it free of charge. Addressing the elephant in the room....Hopefully the pressure will hold. Might be a good idea to ride the bike over a rough trail or stand it upside down for a few hours to circulate the aircan oil a bit to lube the seals. Also maybe BEFORE you pump it make sure the aircan is (hand) tight enough....

Thanks.. my only problem.. can't get to a bike store any time this week 🙈.

I'm out in Magaliesburg... So no nearby stores.

The pressure should hold. I know I was meddling around with the pressure of the shock a bit.. and unfortunately released a little too much air. So it was very flat.. but now it is even more flat. Probably not enough pressure to hold the pressure.

NEVER EVER put a normal pump on a shock. There will be tears. 

If you want shock pump please come get one for free. I bought a new one so I don’t mind paying the old one forward. 

I’m in Centurion. Your petrol will be less than the cost of a pump. 

12 minutes ago, Matthew du preez said:

Thanks.. my only problem.. can't get to a bike store any time this week 🙈.

I'm out in Magaliesburg... So no nearby stores.

The pressure should hold. I know I was meddling around with the pressure of the shock a bit.. and unfortunately released a little too much air. So it was very flat.. but now it is even more flat. Probably not enough pressure to hold the pressure.

There used to be a LBS at Van Gaalens.... 

12 minutes ago, love2fly said:

There used to be a LBS at Van Gaalens.... 

Ya there used to be. Unfortunately that one closed down and moved into Rustenburg I believe. But they're certainly no longer there.

44 minutes ago, Matthew du preez said:

Ya there used to be. Unfortunately that one closed down and moved into Rustenburg I believe. But they're certainly no longer there.

And Cycles2U or Trinity Cycles at Harties Dam?

1 hour ago, Steady Spin said:

If you want shock pump please come get one for free. I bought a new one so I don’t mind paying the old one forward. 

Give that man a Bells!

2 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Agree there is no hack, the pressure in the fork & shock is much higher than a normal/tyre pump can produce.

Just get a shock pump.  Kudos to @Steady Spin.

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

Agree there is no hack, the pressure in the fork & shock is much higher than a normal/tyre pump can produce.

Just get a shock pump.  Kudos to @Steady Spin.

Whats the danger of a car pump? All I know is that it won't pump high enough? And their guages calibration is rubbish....

1 minute ago, love2fly said:

Whats the danger of a car pump? All I know is that it won't pump high enough? And their guages calibration is rubbish....

I don't see any danger if you work carefully like with anything else, it just wont work because the pressure is not high enough.

Even if you get a compressor that can deliver enough pressure it will be difficult to control to get to the pressure you need.

The volume of air going into the shock/fork is not a lot at all, its so much easier to get to the correct pressure with the small dedicated shock pump.

Trinity Cycles is Still in Hartbeespoort town (by French Toast) and Cycles2U moved to a shop opposite the entrance to Peacanwood. Both will help out gladly

15 hours ago, TheoG said:

I don't see any danger if you work carefully like with anything else, it just wont work because the pressure is not high enough.

Even if you get a compressor that can deliver enough pressure it will be difficult to control to get to the pressure you need.

The volume of air going into the shock/fork is not a lot at all, its so much easier to get to the correct pressure with the small dedicated shock pump.

Can easily blow/damage the seals with a car pump and especially an air compressor. Shocks house a lot of pressure for the volume space. 
Seen people bring in forks/shocks for a rebuild from all kinds of hack, my fave being on that used a C02 ...