Wahoo launches POWRLINK ZERO pedal-based power meter

Bike Hub Features

The wait is finally over. Wahoo is proud to announce availability of its highly-anticipated POWRLINK ZERO pedal-based power meter. Based on the iconic dual-entry SPEEDPLAY road pedal system, the POWRLINK ZERO is now available for purchase in both single-sided and dual-sided options. POWRLINK ZERO is built around the legendary SPEEDPLAY ZERO pedal system, which already […]

View full article

• 3 months later...

I see now, where it was quoted here as the price for the dual sided would be R13 999, if you look on the Wahoo SA website, it states that the price is actually R18 999. 

That's a R5000 difference between launch pricing in Feb and now.😐

7 minutes ago, JA-Q001 said:

I see now, where it was quoted here as the price for the dual sided would be R13 999, if you look on the Wahoo SA website, it states that the price is actually R18 999. 

That's a R5000 difference between launch pricing in Feb and now.😐

Thats because they have seen what Garmin is asking for their pedals and decided to undercut their pricing only slightly.

will be interesting to see international pricing on this and if it ties in with the launch price or the new price

Bike Discount for the duals = 14 400 ronds & single sided = 11 000 ronds @ ROE 17:1 and includes 19% German VAT

Bike24 duals = 12 900 & single sided = 9 300 also incl 19% German VAT

8 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Bike Discount for the duals = 14 400 ronds & single sided = 11 000 ronds @ ROE 17:1 and includes 19% German VAT

Bike24 duals = 12 900 & single sided = 9 300 also incl 19% German VAT

what a pity.

i see many people getting them from international sources.

the local guys can get knotted if thats the price they are asking.

lets keep in mind local customs on bike parts is 0% so i have no idea how they can justify that price.

Ill rather see if I can organize to get me some from Germany.

I have colleagues travelling there often.

I was keen to support local on the original pricing, but current price shown puts it out of my league and above the value that I associate with it.

1 hour ago, Furbz said:

what a pity.

i see many people getting them from international sources.

the local guys can get knotted if thats the price they are asking.

lets keep in mind local customs on bike parts is 0% so i have no idea how they can justify that price.

and that is why we buy from abroad!

2 hours ago, JA-Q001 said:

Ill rather see if I can organize to get me some from Germany.

I have colleagues travelling there often.

I was keen to support local on the original pricing, but current price shown puts it out of my league and above the value that I associate with it.

Thats what i do - i'm fortunate to work for German company and need to be there 4 or 5 times a year - each time i go i have a shopping list delivered to my hotel.

I looked at USWE hydration packs the other day - In Germany they are 1/3 of the local prices 

7 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Thats what i do - i'm fortunate to work for German company and need to be there 4 or 5 times a year - each time i go i have a shopping list delivered to my hotel.

I looked at USWE hydration packs the other day - In Germany they are 1/3 of the local prices 

Must remember that hydration bags carry a duty when imported, so to compare to local pricing isn't too fair. 

3 hours ago, JA-Q001 said:

support local makes sense when you are buying something like tomatoes or a pair of velskoen from the cederberg. When you are buying a widget from a taiwanese factory, it doesn't really matter where you are getting it from. The local people don't add any value to it, unless there is some sort of (bullcrap) protectionists warranty exclusion. All you are doing is choosing different middlemen, and there's no shame in taking the most affordable route.

1 hour ago, madmarc said:

that's insane

direct from local distributer - R3500 https://vivovitasport.com/product/hydro-3-epic-3-black-red/

direct from manufacturer - $129=~R2000 https://uswe.com/en-us/hydration-pack-mtb-hydro-3-black

even with 30% duty = R2600

5 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

that's insane

direct from local distributer - R3500 https://vivovitasport.com/product/hydro-3-epic-3-black-red/

direct from manufacturer - $129=~R2000 https://uswe.com/en-us/hydration-pack-mtb-hydro-3-black

$129.99 X 15 to get to ZAR = R1949,85 

add duty 30% (R584.96) = R2534.81

+ VAT 15% = R2915.03

Then I guess there's the middleman margin and retails margin but this should be in the $129.99 already so still R600 delta

hence I bought direct from USWE. Local pricing is a rip off especially considering the distributor is buying bulk therefore shipping less air than I paid for...

corrected your numbers though

Edited by DieselnDust

4 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

that's insane

40% duty plus VAT = R 3 220. Not sure what tax is charged on that site, AFAIK it varies by state.

I'll agree that there are some egregious ripoffs locally though, but overall it's definitely better than it was 20 years ago.

1 hour ago, BikeisLife said:

Must remember that hydration bags carry a duty when imported, so to compare to local pricing isn't too fair. 

Granted - However I don't know what the duty is on hydration packs but even at 100% it doesnt come close to the local price

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All, happy to jump in here and answer some questions, especially regarding pricing. 

Firstly, our aim is to ensure we offer the best value possible for both the Wahooligans out there and the grafting retailers to survive. 

In SA we are priced based on the USA pricing. USD of $999 at our current median of R15,80 - R16,00 / USD places us in and around R16,000 for the pedals. We have to account for VAT on this. Note that we can not use GBP/EUR pricing as many of these countries Wahoo operates directly in and manages the local VAT etc based on a different business case. 

* Where we take the R16,000 and add VAT to this we end up with R18,400 retail pricing. 

* We receive these units via Air Freight. Firstly, we always have to find a flight that can manage "hazardous cargo". The batteries, and the master boxes we freight these in means we can not simply book a flight and ship them. Some red tape to add to this, and compounding this red tape, secondly is general freight charges that are simply not going down.

* Certification. We have to get formal certification from two governing bodies in SA. ICASA and NRCS. We have to pay a for of levies to both these parties. These levies and certification applies to all Wahoo products. Just as a matter of interest, our last NRCS testing and approval cost us R40,000. SA uses a different test report to the rest of the world in many instances and we have to take these costs out of pocket to ensure we comply with local government requirements.   

At Ikhambi we also employ a team of experts on both the sales and support side. Our lines are always open on 0876541940 should you need any customer support, product queries or need to troubleshoot.

Supporting local bolsters our team's efforts and keeps the retail business flowing. We are however cognisant that VALUE to the end user is of the greatest priority and our job is to ensure that we offer it, regardless of import bureaucracy, exchange rate fluctuations, rising import costs and retailer margin viability. 

Onwards and upwards

Your local Wahooligan

www.ikhambi.co.za

1 hour ago, Christian van Zyl said:

Hello All, happy to jump in here and answer some questions, especially regarding pricing. 

Firstly, our aim is to ensure we offer the best value possible for both the Wahooligans out there and the grafting retailers to survive. 

In SA we are priced based on the USA pricing. USD of $999 at our current median of R15,80 - R16,00 / USD places us in and around R16,000 for the pedals. We have to account for VAT on this. Note that we can not use GBP/EUR pricing as many of these countries Wahoo operates directly in and manages the local VAT etc based on a different business case. 

* Where we take the R16,000 and add VAT to this we end up with R18,400 retail pricing. 

* We receive these units via Air Freight. Firstly, we always have to find a flight that can manage "hazardous cargo". The batteries, and the master boxes we freight these in means we can not simply book a flight and ship them. Some red tape to add to this, and compounding this red tape, secondly is general freight charges that are simply not going down.

* Certification. We have to get formal certification from two governing bodies in SA. ICASA and NRCS. We have to pay a for of levies to both these parties. These levies and certification applies to all Wahoo products. Just as a matter of interest, our last NRCS testing and approval cost us R40,000. SA uses a different test report to the rest of the world in many instances and we have to take these costs out of pocket to ensure we comply with local government requirements.   

At Ikhambi we also employ a team of experts on both the sales and support side. Our lines are always open on 0876541940 should you need any customer support, product queries or need to troubleshoot.

Supporting local bolsters our team's efforts and keeps the retail business flowing. We are however cognisant that VALUE to the end user is of the greatest priority and our job is to ensure that we offer it, regardless of import bureaucracy, exchange rate fluctuations, rising import costs and retailer margin viability. 

Onwards and upwards

Your local Wahooligan

www.ikhambi.co.za

To add to your post:

I import products for the group of companies I work for, that are subject to NRCS, ICASA and SAHPRA where levies are due for each applicable item. I stand to be corrected, but I don’t recall paying a testing fee. Maybe yours is specific, not sure.

Sea freight is also expensive; $11,7k currently for a 40HC container, or $7,5k for a 20GP. This compared to pre-covid where it was $1,6k and $900 respectively. Per product, our shipping has gone up 634% and isn’t coming down.

the only issue is that someone isn’t going to go to Germany to get our product, because it’s (1) too big to fit in a suitcase, (2) their prices in Europe are much more than here.

that said, I wouldn’t buy these pedals because they’re simply outside my budget.