[Event] The 36ONE MTB Challenge 2022

fanievb

15 minutes ago, Titleist said:

I haven't thought about it like that. Makes me think that I must take some pills the morning of the start to sleep till 11 and then go to hand in my box.

But then you might miss out on those hallucinations @Knersboy mentioned...😁

I haven't experienced them myself but have seen people fall asleep on their bikes and mention the jumping frogs( rocks) in the road...

I also have a picture of myself that I use to scare children. It was taken in Calitzdorp and you can clearly see that my soul left me at this point. Think I rode 28 hours that year, battled with knee pain from early on and walked a lot in 'The Boneyard' between CP2 & top of Rooiberg.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/18/2022 at 12:24 PM, Just Jacques said:

My first 36One and looking forward to it ! 

The longest MTB race i've done before is 200km but this is just on another level , so bietjie nervous !

Would like to hear from those who have completed the race before as to how one should approach this monster ?

Don't get carried away at the start, some guys fly out of the blocks.   Ride within yourself at a pace that you are comfortable with and can maintain.  There are cut-offs, but they are generous.

After CP 1 the waterpoints are about 30k's apart, just make sure that you eat and drink enough - the waterpoints are well stocked.  Efficient stops are good, don't get too comfortable.

Don't worry too much about Rooiberg, the first priority is to at least get there, and then you can engage "granny".

The big unknown is the weather, but that you can plan around in the week before once it is more accurate and pack your boxes accordingly. 

With the 3pm start time, boxes for CP 1 and 2 need some planning due to the time that you go through them.  2 Years ago I did not use boxes at all.  Box at CP3 you can use to empty the load a bit.

Once you descended Rooiberg, it is a drag to get to Calitzdorp...my least favourite part of the route.

What was said above, the last 60 k's definitely have a bite and keep something in the legs for that stretch.

Try and change hand positions regularly, and if possible, even your feet.  Move fingers, etc.  By the time you realise something is wrong it is normally too late and those fingers have no feeling.  I struggle with Carpal, and this is the worst for me.

Take some pictures and enjoy the scenery, it is beautiful part of the country.

Not sure what your target time is, but for the Saturday suntan lotion and lip-ice is good.

Enjoy the ride and wave as you come past.

I may finish in daylight😁

(Obviously we do train a bit and have a proper bike set-up done).

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, fanievb said:

How's the training coming along everyone?

we have 9 weeks to go

Used tour de cap as a big distance block. Last long ride will be swartberg. Then taper down and hope for the best.

K@kking myself tbh. Don't know if I can do it but they tell me that's a good thing.

10 hours ago, Mamil said:

Used tour de cap as a big distance block. Last long ride will be swartberg. Then taper down and hope for the best.

K@kking myself tbh. Don't know if I can do it but they tell me that's a good thing.

If you want to finish you will - there is more than enough time and the cut-offs are very realistic.

If you are worried about that don't spend too much time at the CP's and WP's, at least not untill Calitzdorp. 

17 hours ago, fanievb said:

How's the training coming along everyone?

we have 9 weeks to go

Slowly building up the time on the bike, currently on 2 x 1hour sessions on the trainer(intervals) and long ride(s) on the weekend - doing a 5 hour and 2 hour this weekend weather permitting.

I am riding with a 1st timer this year and hope to guide him to the finish. He is a slow climber(even to my slow standards) so we will adjust the goal time to 26-28 hours...

How are you going Fanie?

8 minutes ago, hboli4 said:

Slowly building up the time on the bike, currently on 2 x 1hour sessions on the trainer(intervals) and long ride(s) on the weekend - doing a 5 hour and 2 hour this weekend weather permitting.

I am riding with a 1st timer this year and hope to guide him to the finish. He is a slow climber(even to my slow standards) so we will adjust the goal time to 26-28 hours...

How are you going Fanie?

Getting there slowly.

Working on my power at the moment, current week looks something like this

2 x strength/cross training sessions 

3 x 1h20 interval sessions (zwift/outdoor) 

2 x long rides on the weekend (3-4 Sat and 1.5-2.5 Sun)

ps. I'm heading up country over the long weekend, will probably do 3-4 hours on the Sat 

If things work out, would like to hook up with the Vrystaat pyn Trein aka @Vetseun for a spin to Tom's place and back or we can hook up if you want?

I'm doing the cycle tour twice on Sunday. That's as close as I'm going to get to 361 before the 361.

On 3/9/2022 at 9:20 AM, Titleist said:

I'm doing the cycle tour twice on Sunday. That's as close as I'm going to get to 361 before the 361.

I've done the same in the past as prep. It works well cause the route has so many waterpoints and you are surrounded by people always. To do a training ride like that is a mission so using this is perfect. Helps you sort out nutrition etc. 

My first attempt at 36One. We did Karoo Burn as a warm up/training ride. 

Rather anxious as it is getting closer to the event. 

28 minutes ago, liebenw said:

63 days .... Gulp

3 minutes ago, Mamil said:

63 days .... Gulp

More about the training I have to still put in 🙂

1 hour ago, liebenw said:

How did you go at KarooBurn? 

2 minutes ago, hboli4 said:

How did you go at KarooBurn? 

OK. We did 15 hrs but had mechanical issues which I reckon conservatively made us lose 2 hrs at least.

2 minutes ago, liebenw said:

OK. We did 15 hrs but had mechanical issues which I reckon conservatively made us lose 2 hrs at least.

We came in at 14.40 but cannot blame any mechanicals for our slowness 😁

On 3/9/2022 at 9:08 AM, fanievb said:

Getting there slowly.

Working on my power at the moment, current week looks something like this

2 x strength/cross training sessions 

3 x 1h20 interval sessions (zwift/outdoor) 

2 x long rides on the weekend (3-4 Sat and 1.5-2.5 Sun)

ps. I'm heading up country over the long weekend, will probably do 3-4 hours on the Sat 

If things work out, would like to hook up with the Vrystaat pyn Trein aka @Vetseun for a spin to Tom's place and back or we can hook up if you want?

Sorry for the late reply Fanie. I'm not going to commit to a specific ride time over the weekend - going to wake up whenever and ride when I feel like it...Safe travels. Might catch you somewhere on the road...