[Event] The 36ONE MTB Challenge 2022

fanievb

Who's in?

I'm attempting again. Had to pull out before the event last year due to a little mishap on the bicycle.

Really hoping for a sub 20, but that'll take some fine planning and some hard work in the next few months.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an event I'd give just about anything to do but the cost and logistics, for me that is not in general.

Almost got an entry but it was given away right under my nose sadly 😢

59 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

This is an event I'd give just about anything to do but the cost and logistics, for me that is not in general.

Almost got an entry but it was given away right under my nose sadly 😢

Oom, you'll eat that route for brekvis 

My first 36One and looking forward to it ! 

The longest MTB race i've done before is 200km but this is just on another level , so bietjie nervous !

Would like to hear from those who have completed the race before as to how one should approach this monster ?

And don't fall asleep while you riding. Happened to me a couple of times. Watch out for the dust at the start. My left eye was full of that Oudshoorn dirt. Almost rode the whole route with only 1 eye.🧐

• 1 month later...
Event Name: The 36ONE MTB Challenge 2022
When: 13/05/2022 - 15/05/2022
Where: Kleinplaas Resort, , Oudtshoorn, Oudtshoorn, Western Cape
Category: Mountain Bike

A 361km circumnavigation of the Klein Karoo, featuring approximately 5 600m of climbing. You have 36.1 hours to complete the event. If you aren't up to The 36ONE Challenge you can take on The Half – a 180.5km ride from Volmoed via the Rooiberg Pass and Calitzdorp to Oudtshoorn, along the second half of the full route.

Go to Event Page.

1 hour ago, Titleist said:

Those who has done the TB and 36one. How does the latter compare, except for the obvious difference?

It is harder. The last 80km are very tough, but the hallucinations are awesome. There are easier ways to hallucinate though……

2 hours ago, Titleist said:

Those who has done the TB and 36one. How does the latter compare, except for the obvious difference?

Doing both for the first time this year. I'll give the definitive verdict end of August.

For me the major factor making 36One twice as difficult(although 'only' 134km further with roughly 1850m more climbing on the new course - the old course had about 2500m more climbing) is the start time difference.

When you get on your bike for 36One(possibly in 40+ degrees heat) you have been awake for 9 hours already...the new start format for TransBaviaans allows you to wake up, eat and start cycling. You can be in bed at your normal sleeping time where your body rebels on 36One when having to go through the night, regardless of how fast you are.

I am also not a very fast/strong climber and the extra elevation hurts.... 

33 minutes ago, hboli4 said:

When you get on your bike for 36One(possibly in 40+ degrees heat) you have been awake for 9 hours already...

I haven't thought about it like that. Makes me think that I must take some pills the morning of the start to sleep till 11 and then go to hand in my box.