E-bikes on Strava

Velosauce

19 hours ago, Velosauce said:

Hey all, 

I'm sure this has been asked before, but do E-bike records belong on strava? (among normal pedaling records and people who drive their cars on roads with their garmins still on😁🤷🏻‍♂️)

I don't think so. 

I'm also quite concerned about the little old ladies on powerful e-bikes who have accidentally run me of off trails because they can't handle their bikes, but that's a whole different kettle of fish🤷🏻‍♂️

Hahahahahahahaha. You guys and your E-bike issues. Hahahahahahahahaha. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think e-bikes are great but for those that use Strava as a yardstick on their training or progress against other normal bikes, it does skew the results. I don't know why everyone is giving the OP so much flak, maybe he likes the results to be on a level playing field. This might be important to him and a whole bunch of people so just because it isn't important to YOU, it doesn't mean he feels the same. Stop being d00$es and be lekker.

Its not difficult for those with e-bikes to change the setting on Strava to omit the results from the segments. 

• 6 months later...

Is strava cheating now the new norm? Or did all of these folks just forget their GPS on while in the car and not notice when it synced to strava…..

top 20 plus results on a category 4 climb are all well over 45km/h

A62B2CEE-27A3-4328-8213-FA1872424FD2.jpeg

Edited by esCape-ist

Oh well, since it is Friday… I also do not understand the flack towards the OP. What if there are people that enjoys the competitive nature of cycling and spends time training to improve to chase some strava segment leaderboards? Not that difficult to change activity type to ebike to prevent messing up the leaderboards. Surely a place in the sun for all to enjoy riding their bikes? Strava subscription is much cheaper than race entry fees anyway… 

Edited by W@nted

6 hours ago, esCape-ist said:

Is strava cheating now the new norm? Or did all of these folks just forget their GPS on while in the car and not notice when it synced to strava…..

top 20 plus results on a category 4 climb are all well over 45km/h

A62B2CEE-27A3-4328-8213-FA1872424FD2.jpeg

They are all in cars. That road is used to get back to the top of a downhill section of tail. I don't know why some people still put chains on their bicycles... 🤷‍♂️

Do your dues and flag everyone faster than 30km/h
The guys doing ~500W for ~3min deserve to be on the leader board.

image.png.29b41d48657af46f59fe609b52e0adb1.png

I flag a, few, but it's not as if strava makes it easy, will do a few more this afternoon. 

It was obvious this was being done in cars, becasue not even e-bikers could pull up those times. But I mean, if you know you logging rides for strava, how hard is it to just pause your watch or head unit for the shuttles. 

Surely strava can use some of the money they getting from subscriptions and employ some developers to work on an algorithm to automatically flag superhuman performances. 

Edited by esCape-ist

3 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

Surely strava can use some of the money they getting from subscriptions and employ some developers to work on an algorithm to automatically flag superhuman performances. 

And it's so easy to do also...

Okayyyyy .... :P

Update from an e-bike rider on Strava.

Over the last few months STRAVA have done a LOT to make it easier for ebikers to correctly log their rides.

1.  As soon as you sprint the hills, Strava PROMPTS you to confirm if the ride was on an ebike.  NO WAY an ebike ride is now accidentally loaded as a normal ride.

2. If you were idling along with friends and Strava does not pick it up as an ebike ride, then the drop down and select function to set it as an ebike ride is SUPER EASY.  (in the past you had to scroll down, then click on a drop down, scroll and scroll and scroll some more to select ebike)

28 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

And it's so easy to do also...

Dont even need an algorithm - Ride submissions with no heart rate data should be blocked from leaderboards, no power meter from the top 10 - two lines of code to put an end to the debate.

It amazes me that a company of 500 people are so slow to evolve their software - even since they pushed all their features behind the subscription wall, they have not done much to evolve the product.

4 minutes ago, Kom said:

Dont even need an algorithm - Ride submissions with no heart rate data should be blocked from leaderboards, no power meter from the top 10 - two lines of code to put an end to the debate.

It amazes me that a company of 500 people are so slow to evolve their software - even since they pushed all their features behind the subscription wall, they have not done much to evolve the product.

There are downhill KOM segments too where power data is a lot less relevant than technical ability. Very few trail bikes and downhill bikes have power meters fitted, so that is a very elitist roadie approach….

I have 2 Koms, and not one of them logged with power meters, but they are gravity focused.

1 minute ago, esCape-ist said:

There are downhill KOM segments too where power data is a lot less relevant than technical ability. Very few trail bikes and downhill bikes have power meters fitted, so that is a very elitist roadie approach….

I have 2 Koms, and not one of them logged with power meters, but they are gravity focused.

I dont have an issue with e-bikers taking KOM's on downhill trail/enduro segments - i applaud them navigating 20kg rigs and beating the non assisted bikers ... thats a top 10 deserved.

42 minutes ago, Kom said:

I dont have an issue with e-bikers taking KOM's on downhill trail/enduro segments - i applaud them navigating 20kg rigs and beating the non assisted bikers ... thats a top 10 deserved.

Yeah, but your heart rate and power meter requirement for leaderboards would nullify that. That is why I think all they need is a simple algorithm, that flags flagrantly superhuman performance automatically. The user flagging system is sufficient to deal with the odd anomaly that will then slip through the cracks.

1 hour ago, Kom said:

It also blows my mind... when you see all the data they have, you can't even get detailed stats from each bike (like knowing how many hours you've done on each bike between two dates), or so many other things !

I don't understand why anyone cares.

Surely you ride fast for you and not an imaginary leaderboard?

A lot of the really good riders are set to private anyway, if they even use STRAVA, so the leaderboard pool is usually already diluted.

These sorts of things to me pang of major insecurity