Leatt product quality

BrandonEvans

Hey All 

What are peoples opinions on Leatt products ? 

I bought the MTB 3.0 Enduro V21 and I'm very disappointed with it. It cost me R4000 and I've worn it 3 times and its falling apart already. All the little velcro circles that hold the padding on the inside have come away from the helmet so parts of it are falling out. The rubber that they put in that plastic bit at goes at the back of your head to tighten the helmet have all fallen out. 

For the price you pay, I would of expected better quality. 
Asked about it on their social media and they read my message and ignored me. 
Am I expecting too much ?

Edited by BrandonEvans

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can'y say anything about your specific situation and my experience is only an anecdote, but I own several Leatt products (Helmet, baggies, mtb shirt) and have always been impressed with the quality.

1 hour ago, Rolf Hansen said:

Can I ask if you have washed/cleaned the helmet?

I've sprayed it with water once after a 45km ride. 

53 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Had shoddy quality in the past and warranty claim was honored. 

Where did you buy it?

I bought it in Cape town. I live in KZN. A bit of an issue there id say.

That helmet in particular has had its fair share of issues, but they're usually pretty good with backup so get in touch and you'll most likely get sorted.

The rest of their stuff is great, I've got quite a lot of it and haven't managed to destroy anything yet.

Just now, droo said:

That helmet in particular has had its fair share of issues, but they're usually pretty good with backup so get in touch and you'll most likely get sorted.

Do you mind telling me what issue have there been with this model ?

They had a few issues with chin bar buckles on the earlier versions, and the turbines fell out occasionally.

The newer clip off face ones (DBX 4.0) are a massive improvement, and are now DH rated as well IIRC. And still about 40% cheaper than the equivalent from Bell or Giro.

I used to be a big Leatt Supporter, until I bought two sets of gloves that clearly had a design or manufacturing flaw. One set for me, the other for my riding buddy. We both had the same issue, the gloves would fit fine until you try and ride with them. The glove would cut into that section of skin between your index finger and thumb, making it quite painful to ride with.  I had used various other Leatt gloves before (of the same size XL) and never had any issues.

I took them back to the shop after the first ride, thinking it would be a very simply return. Turns out that would not be the case. They “inspected” the gloves and claimed they were fine, and in fact that they were “improved” from the previous year’s version. They were unwilling to even swap them out for another set of gloves. The best they were willing to do was to offer me a crappy discount on a new set of different gloves.

I went to their offices in Cape Town to try and explain what the issue was. After waiting at reception for the rep for probably 20 mins, he showed up after clearly just having had a lekker cigarette. I dunno, felt like he just wanted to make it very clear to me that I was simply not on his list of priorities. Fine, I get it, who cares about one customer with some complaints about a pair of gloves.

On my way back home, the bike shop I had bought the gloves from gave me a call and offered a refund. Seemed like a happy ending, despite the struggle. Months later I learned Leatt never actually refunded the purchase and that it was the shop acting on their own to refund me.

Based on my experience with Leatt, I would recommend rather supporting a different brand. They make good products, but they will treat you and the shops you want to support like dirt.  Good luck getting your helmet sorted out with them.

Yours sound like a quality control issue. Take it to the shop you bought it from and ask them to warrantee it. The shop needs to bat for you when it comes to warranty time. 

I'm pretty happy with their quality. I have two Leatt helmets (well one, broke one this weekend,) two pairs of knee pads, a set of elbow pads and many gloves, and I've not had an issue like yours yet. Even the gloves have lasted more than two years. The first pair of knee pads must be about 6 years old now. My convertible helmet is about 4 years old. Still on the first pair of pads. 

Off topic: I do believe that the longevity of my gear is because all of it gets rinsed totally after every ride. I put it in the shower and soak it, by the time the water is warm all the sweat is washed out. Hang up to dry indoors. Sweat makes helmet pads grotty 

So much of my gear is Leatt, gloves, shoes, pants, helmets, you could say i'm a fanboy. In my defense though, it's because im not a fan of the lycra racing snake crowd, and lets be honest, our options for mtb wear in this country are a little limited. In saying that though, i have had some issues with kit.

Also have a DBX4.0 full face, which was a fantastic helmet, until some idiot used a high pressure hose on it while cleaning my bike. Now all the pads don't want to stick anymore. Totally self inflicted, so can't blame Leatt. I did however buy a pair of gloves from them, which were the updated models to my previous pair, same size and everything, yet they don't fit. Thought maybe I could wear them in and stretch them, but to no avail. Other than that, their shirts, shoes, and pants have been stellar, and i'd recommend them any day.

I can't account for their level of after sales service though, but I think their products are mostly top notch, and well priced too

I bought A set of DBX 4.0 gloves in 2019 which i loved , legit in my top 2 gloves of all time. they were sadly lost due to me wiping out hard on tar and tearing them to shreds.

Recently got the latest DBX4.0 glove ( costs a hell of a lot more now ) and it really doesn't feel like the same quality. Quality is good just not comparable to those 4.0's i had in 2019