Redux.. Am I being unreasonable here?

Skylark

1 hour ago, Skylark said:

I'm not sure how your story relates to mine seeing no one misrepresented anything to you but I'm sure you enjoyed recounting it

- “I wrote that up to my dambass not doing my homework”

anyway, im not deliberately trying to be a douche about it….just saying that its ‘only’ R600 ( for a whole wheelset?!!)…or <30L of petrol since yesterday. Or a meal for 2. was it really worth all this? Guess thats for you guys to decide. 

I mean I have bought stuff before for similar amounts that I totally regretted and subsequently threw away and put it down as my own stupidity - and learned from it so I hopefully never do it again - Off here…from reputable hubbers too.  I guess i could have made a thing about it but as I said, i blamed myself for being ill informed instead. Sure, i wont buy stuff from them again either….like I wont buy a mazda ever again lol. 

yes it sucks that you feel you were shafted by the seller that might not have been 100% sure about the internals. 

Maybe HE DID feel they were ok? One mans treasure is another mans junk?

Anyway, meh…they were literally the price of an entry level front hub or less than 32 spokes, or the labour to build a wheel. I guess thats my point. You got what you paid for? Maybe that sounds a bit harsh reading it…

Full circle - The only thing worth buying thats 20y old  is a toyota

anyway. I’m sorry. No hard feelings.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, MORNE said:

- “I wrote that up to my dambass not doing my homework”

anyway, im not deliberately trying to be a douche about it….just saying that its ‘only’ R600 ( for a whole wheelset?!!)…or <30L of petrol since yesterday. Or a meal for 2. was it really worth all this? Guess thats for you guys to decide. 

I mean I have bought stuff before for similar amounts that I totally regretted and subsequently threw away and put it down as my own stupidity - and learned from it so I hopefully never do it again - Off here…from reputable hubbers too.  I guess i could have made a thing about it but as I said, i blamed myself for being ill informed instead. Sure, i wont buy stuff from them again either….like I wont buy a mazda ever again lol. 

yes it sucks that you feel you were shafted by the seller that might not have been 100% sure about the internals. 

Maybe HE DID feel they were ok? One mans treasure is another mans junk?

Anyway, meh…they were literally the price of an entry level front hub or less than 32 spokes, or the labour to build a wheel. I guess thats my point. You got what you paid for? Maybe that sounds a bit harsh reading it…

Full circle - The only thing worth buying thats 20y old  is a toyota

anyway. I’m sorry. No hard feelings.

I hear you but as I said this was more about principles. Getting these wheels from Robert was a long and tiring process even before they arrived and it became more than just about the money. This dude is just taking the piss and I had enough.

During the whatsapp conversation that spanned a few months hub smoothness and what hubs I was looking for was brought up quite often, which is why getting a wheelset from him with hubs that were so stuffed was more than just a surprise.

Granted reading back on the whatsapp conversation I see there were a few red flags with how he conducted himself, so I have to shoulder some of the blame for where I currently find myself.

But as I said previously this thread is more about getting it off my chest than anything else, so what else can I say but thanks for reading.

at the endof the day R600 isn't a huge investment and principals really worth the energy here? I do get it that we want absolute honesty here but in sales,  as it is in the views of Karen's taking cellphone pics of cyclists while driving,, is in the eye of the beholder.

A new hub is probably a cheap solution. Rim and spokes can be reused but labour will be around R500 anyway so you're in for a further R1200-R1500 anyway so R2000 ish for a set of wheels,

still a decent deal when compared to current bike spares prices

Just as a matter of interest what were you building or needing a super duper 20yr old rim brake wheelset for?

Genuinely interested why the performance of the wheelset is so critical ...

6 hours ago, Skylark said:

I hear you but as I said this was more about principles. Getting these wheels from Robert was a long and tiring process even before they arrived and it became more than just about the money. This dude is just taking the piss and I had enough.

During the whatsapp conversation that spanned a few months hub smoothness and what hubs I was looking for was brought up quite often, which is why getting a wheelset from him with hubs that were so stuffed was more than just a surprise.

Granted reading back on the whatsapp conversation I see there were a few red flags with how he conducted himself, so I have to shoulder some of the blame for where I currently find myself.

But as I said previously this thread is more about getting it off my chest than anything else, so what else can I say but thanks for reading.

It spanned over a few months because we had multiple discussions about multiple wheel sets. This wasn't a once off thing where I said: here's one set and that's it. This was a scenario about 3 options over a space of time whereby the buyer had free Reign to choose any of the wheels I had lying here. I even have a set of brand new "new old stock" which the buyer did not want as they were not "quality enough". I did not give a price and said take it or leave it, I said: make me an offer, I would have taken R200 as well, I was not phased about the sale, I was more phased about helping you out to get the build done, I would have given them to you for just the shipping price (which I have done on multiple occasions as well). When it comes to principal it applies to me as well. I don't care about the wheels and or the money "over-spent" on shipping, I care about the fact that I have to defend myself over half truths and bended statements. Was that why I stopped communicating over WA, of course yes. Why would I carry on sending stock and try to rectify something if I know full well that it will never be enough. Hence why I said, I have no issue about giving a refund, I have no issue with taking them back, fixing the problem and donating them to someone who will be more than grateful to receive them. 

Offer buyers a refund at the first mention of being unhappy because there will always be some nagging pain in the ass out there that will play the victim card to death at the cost of the sellers reputation. 

A new thread? Over R600? What has the world come too? 

18 hours ago, Skylark said:

I bought a set of wheels from user RobertWhitehead they looked to be in great condition but arrived with the hubs needing a rebuild. The hubs are Shimano loose ball type and the wheels as a whole have very little signs of use but it would appear the hubs were overtightened at some point, they were overtightened when they arrived, they did not turn freely and were notchy. The fact that they had issues was plainly obvious when you spun them and Robert must have spun them because he said the wheels ran true when I asked. His description of the hubs was "pretty smooth".

When I brought the issue of the hubs up with Robert he didn't dispute it and promised to send the parts to fix them, I needed 2 replacement cones, ideally 3(2 cones were completely stuffed and one was on the way out). He found a match for the back hub and then he stopped responding to my whatsapp messages. I left it for a few days and then pm'd him on Bikehub in case he'd lost his phone or something and he did respond and said yes he has been ignoring my whatsapps because he's now decided the wheels are old and I can't expect them to be in good condition both cosmetically and mechanically and won't be sending the parts. The 4 bike shops I contacted all said the spares for these hubs are also neigh impossible to order from Shimano.

It's a 26" rim brake wheelset, they were R600 which is pretty much the going rate on bikehub, they are the typical OEM wheelset of the time with Jalco rims and Shimano hubs. It's not a huge amount of money but the principal of it feels wrong, that a seller feels entitled to knowingly sell you something that is damaged without making you aware of that fact.

So the question is am I being unreasonable here to expect a seller to be upfront with issues?
What would an acceptable remedy be?

The thread heading refers to Roberts own thread regarding getting sold something he wasn't expecting:

https://forum.bikehub.co.za/topic/188074-am-i-being-unreasonable-here/

PM me your address, I have something to send you:

spacer.png

9 hours ago, Skylark said:

The conversation spanned over months??? To buy a R600 wheelset??? 

15 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

In a way thats the reality of where the market is at. Everyones cash strapped and looking for value even at R600

4 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Just as a matter of interest what were you building or needing a super duper 20yr old rim brake wheelset for?

Genuinely interested why the performance of the wheelset is so critical ...

I have a really nice vintage Kona, pretty much all original, an absolute beauty and I love riding it but it needs a new wheelset.

3 hours ago, ACE Cycles said:

Offer buyers a refund at the first mention of being unhappy because there will always be some nagging pain in the ass out there that will play the victim card to death at the cost of the sellers reputation. 

A new thread? Over R600? What has the world come too? 

1 hour ago, ACE Cycles said:

The buyer seems to deal in bikes, he had one wheelset initially that I was very interested in but had issues that I left and then he contacted me down the line about this one. The point being is he knew what I was looking for and it wasn't a wheelset with stuffed hubs.

As I have said a few times this thread isn't about the money, it was more getting off my chest how strange the experience was. I still don't know why the seller did what he did.

3 hours ago, Gnarly said:

Seems like the buyer is very disparate to keep these wheels for some reason even though they "not" up to standard.  

Dude after all I went through with this seller, he promises to send me the spares and then just blocks me, I still don't know why.

And I agreed to a refund many posts back and I sent Robert my bank details yesterday but it's been crickets.