Safire Berg 100 on a gravel bike

sendit

I'm considering doing this on my gravel bike and have been putting in some saddle time to prep.

It's my first time so I'm curious to hear from those that have done it before (especially on a gravel bike)... 

Have you done this on a gravel bike? How was it? What tyres did you use? Any other advice or tips? 

Gravel bike should be fine, it is district road and tar. If it is wet, without a clutch derailleur you will not make it. So as long as the gravel bike has a proper derailleur and not a road derailleur you will be fine.

The Berg100 in the wet is a nightmare. I've entered three and only started one. The other two were wet and I didn't bother riding. 

My mates came down from Pretoria and they did the route on their gravel bikes. It was dry and they smoked the guys who opted for riding mountain bikes. We rode from Notties to the top of Sani Pass.

The Berg100 route is all wide open district roads. The climbs are long but not steep. 

Thanks for the feedback and advice guys.

Based on the replies, I will get the mtb ready to be on standby in case the weather looks wet. 

Edited by sendit

• 11 months later...

Has someone done this ride in both directions ?

If so which direction would you consider "easier" ?

Some of us planning to ride from Nottingham side to Himeville (Just a fun ride), and looking at the profile this direction seems easier, maybe only due to the long climb being from the other side.

Would a 1x set up with a large chainring and 11-46 at the back get a weekend warrior up the climbs from that side ?

17 hours ago, Koos Likkewaan 2 said:

Some of us planning to ride from Nottingham side to Himeville (Just a fun ride), and looking at the profile this direction seems easier, maybe only due to the long climb being from the other side.

Would a 1x set up with a large chainring and 11-46 at the back get a weekend warrior up the climbs from that side ?

Seems an ideal ride for a gravel bike and, although I have only suffered it twice, once each way, there is no discernible difference, to me anyway.  BUT, I have heard from connections up there that they have had a lot of rain that has damaged the gravel road surface in some areas so a slog in the wet.

19 hours ago, Koos Likkewaan 2 said:

The Himeville Notties way is easier. When you get to the end you can ride the last 30 km in an hour, but the other way this is not possible, 20 kays in a hour would be good going. Also the wind can play a factor, riding into the headwind the whole day is not lekker. My times over the years were always a bit quicker finishing in Notties.

I think a 46 maximum at the back would be fine. The Notties to Himeville has the shorter steeper long hill (about 6 kay), if you walked a bit on that hill, would be a good break. The 14 km hill from the Himeville to Notties direction is not that steep, just very long. The 14 km descent though, if you ride Notties to Himeville is a highlight of the ride.

4 hours ago, mazambaan said:

Seems an ideal ride for a gravel bike and, although I have only suffered it twice, once each way, there is no discernible difference, to me anyway.  BUT, I have heard from connections up there that they have had a lot of rain that has damaged the gravel road surface in some areas so a slog in the wet.

We are a little concerned about the weather, but I guess if it does not rain much in the next week we should be okay. Planning this for 7 March. We will probably make the call closer to the time.

Heard this road is a nightmare when wet.

2 hours ago, Martin PJ said:

The Himeville Notties way is easier. When you get to the end you can ride the last 30 km in an hour, but the other way this is not possible, 20 kays in a hour would be good going. Also the wind can play a factor, riding into the headwind the whole day is not lekker. My times over the years were always a bit quicker finishing in Notties.

I think a 46 maximum at the back would be fine. The Notties to Himeville has the shorter steeper long hill (about 6 kay), if you walked a bit on that hill, would be a good break. The 14 km hill from the Himeville to Notties direction is not that steep, just very long. The 14 km descent though, if you ride Notties to Himeville is a highlight of the ride.

Thanks. Wind does not seem to be a factor at this stage. 7km/h from the east. Lets hope it stays that way.

Chainring is 42, so there will definitely be some walking involved. Can go to 36, but I am thinking that the 42 would be better for everything else.(other than the steep climbs)