Absa Cape Epic 2022

JohanDiv

I'm just recovering from.a week with quite bad covid. My neighbors also got it they were going to ride mixed and came all the way from Sweden, luckily we don't know who passed it to whom. I'm a bit concerned seeing all the people mixing with no protocols that the event can get stopped if theyre not careful. There's already covid positives amongst the riders. And I hate masks, lockdowns but I don't see a lot of common sense out there.. I just want everyone to be able to finish 

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, @grootlem said:

I'm just recovering from.a week with quite bad covid. My neighbors also got it they were going to ride mixed and came all the way from Sweden, luckily we don't know who passed it to whom. I'm a bit concerned seeing all the people mixing with no protocols that the event can get stopped if theyre not careful. There's already covid positives amongst the riders. And I hate masks, lockdowns but I don't see a lot of common sense out there.. I just want everyone to be able to finish 

Yeah that's not good news and hoping it doesn't blow up... All the best with recovery 

4 hours ago, Eldron said:

Only Day 2 and it's already chaotic with an unexpected GC!

Nino reckons he hit some hidden glass, tried to pop a tube in but the hole was too big and eventually swapped wheels with (didn't hear name).

Hopefully Matt just had a bad day and isn't ill!

Tomorrow is going to be proper exciting!

I didn't hear wheelswap. Heard another rider with them also punctured same spot?

Edited by love2fly
Spelling

1 minute ago, love2fly said:

I didn't hear wheel suspension. Heard another rider with them also punctured same spot?

Wheel suspension?

Yeah - another team stopped at exactly the same place. Luckily they could plug'n'go.

Agree with Hendrik,hate the masks etc but looking at finish line footage there doesn’t seem to be any protocol’s at the Epic.Last thing you need is government officials to close the event down🤦🏻‍♂️

30 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Wheel suspension?

Yeah - another team stopped at exactly the same place. Luckily they could plug'n'go.

Sorry darn autocorrect and old age. Wheelswap.

31 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

:( bleak one! Was so stoked for her last minute setup. 

She came in because of another covid positive. The husband of the original rider that started the race is now also positive. Bad news 

7 hours ago, awesme said:

... sad not to be seeing Pyga this year.
love what I'm seeing otherwise, got the making of a very "interesting" event.

was surprised at the empty race village. expected more spectators, we have a sport and industry to rebuild.

G

Good point. 

Not sure what the average sentiment RE supporting is. 
- Covid protocals are annoying?

- It’s bloody hot on the first 3 days?

- Cape Epic’s entry fee feels like robbery so people feel less inclined to support it?

1 minute ago, stringbean said:

Agree with Hendrik,hate the masks etc but looking at finish line footage there doesn’t seem to be any protocol’s at the Epic.Last thing you need is government officials to close the event down🤦🏻‍♂️

What I don't understand is why there was no mandatory test of each rider before the event. I thought it was sort of standard in sports events now. I'm pretty sure I know of riders that started knowing they could have covid

2 minutes ago, M L said:

Good point. 

Not sure what the average sentiment RE supporting is. 
- Covid protocals are annoying?

- It’s bloody hot on the first 3 days?

- Cape Epic’s entry fee feels like robbery so people feel less inclined to support it?

Are there covid protocols for spectators? There are a lot of people out on route at spectator points, a bit more fun than standing in the village

2 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Sorry darn autocorrect and old age. Wheelswap.

Ah.

Nino confirmed at the post stage interview that he swapped wheels (and that the rider he swapped with had to put a gator in before he could use a tube). Diesel confirmed the rider was Andri Frishknecht.

3 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Ah.

Nino confirmed at the post stage interview that he swapped wheels (and that the rider he swapped with had to put a gator in before he could use a tube). Diesel confirmed the rider was Andri Frishknecht.

But wasn't Frischknicht up the road?

8 minutes ago, @grootlem said:

What I don't understand is why there was no mandatory test of each rider before the event. I thought it was sort of standard in sports events now. I'm pretty sure I know of riders that started knowing they could have covid

Maybe they thought they had Italian Bronchitis and not COVID, that has been ripping through the peloton.