App works fine !

Intermittently …. and can only see the team name and not rider name 

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, jcza said:

The entire event feels like it has lost some of its shine. Could be due to the last minute cancellation in 2020 or maybe sign of the times. Missing some top riders. From Assos to Ciovita for leaders jerseys. Website broken most of the day and many locals just can’t be bothered to enter (and can’t afford it) 

I actually think the event has always been plagued with the same inefficiency. 

IMHO the watcher/viewer now expects more, is more critical and far less distracted by the shiny shiny. The nuts and bolts of Epic have never been amazing, but as spectators/fans/whatevers the zeitgeist is to pay attention to the man behind the curtain and not be wowed and distracted by the great and powerful Oz...... 

(If you get my meaning) 

32 minutes ago, jcza said:

The entire event feels like it has lost some of its shine. Could be due to the last minute cancellation in 2020 or maybe sign of the times. Missing some top riders. From Assos to Ciovita for leaders jerseys. Website broken most of the day and many locals just can’t be bothered to enter (and can’t afford it) 

My impression as well

42 minutes ago, jcza said:

A couple of things bug me in that it's expensive to the nth degree and so geared to international riders and celebs who get in on sponsorship. Last time I looked Swiss Epic was cheaper. I still love it but also wish they'd fix the commentary. Neil Gardiner ( spelling?) bores me to death with his attempts to come up with tidbits. He's completely superfluous. Maybe I'm spoilt by the XC commentary which is even better than Sky can muster for F1....

I find the opposite in the sense that I always thought i’d never ever even think about racing it and now for the 1st time had serious fomo, and I know a few guys who feel the same… Luckily the price is just ridiculous so it will likely never happen for me 😜

The fact that the website is down could also be a sign of a higher interest than expected.

But it is a bit sad that all the superstars aren’t here anymore, maybe it will come back.

Edited by Jbr

1 hour ago, love2fly said:

A couple of things bug me in that it's expensive to the nth degree and so geared to international riders and celebs who get in on sponsorship. Last time I looked Swiss Epic was cheaper. I still love it but also wish they'd fix the commentary. Neil Gardiner ( spelling?) bores me to death with his attempts to come up with tidbits. He's completely superfluous. Maybe I'm spoilt by the XC commentary which is even better than Sky can muster for F1....

XCO commentary is for 90 minutes every three weeks .Epic is 9h x 7 days

11 hours ago, love2fly said:

One needs former riders commentating 

Like Anika joined by maybe Erik and Jaroslav or someone. Gerald isn't bad at all but there's much he can improve 

Bart and Rob are annoying as hell and even though some people like them the knowledge they carry into their commentary is surprisingly lacking 

UFC does this well , they have one analyst that know's his sh#t great but the rest are all former fighters out of some area of the sport.

Yip. I think it was Robbie McEwan  prior, was great and having Annika is the same. Just need that times 21/2...

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

I find the opposite in the sense that I always thought i’d never ever even think about racing it and now for the 1st time had serious fomo, and I know a few guys who feel the same… Luckily the price is just ridiculous so it will likely never happen for me 😜

The fact that the website is down could also be a sign of a higher interest than expected.

But it is a bit sad that all the superstars aren’t here anymore, maybe it will come back.

Nino ,Blevins ,Prevot .They are superstars . I have bad fomo ,having done the previous two .Epic can ruin a whole season for the XCO riders and somebody like vd Poel . This is one event .Vd Poel can win multiple events and do half a Grand tour in the same season . For a dedicated XCO rider it can help like it helped Langvad ,but you also need to be as strong as her and not many riders are  .Prevot had a bit of a wake-up call today 

Edited by eala

7 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

One needs former riders commentating 

Like Anika joined by maybe Erik and Jaroslav or someone. Gerald isn't bad at all but there's much he can improve 

Bart and Rob are annoying as hell and even though some people like them the knowledge they carry into their commentary is surprisingly lacking 

UFC does this well , they have one analyst that know's his sh#t great but the rest are all former fighters out of some area of the sport.

I can listen to Bart and Rob for a couple of hours but not days 

3 hours ago, love2fly said:

On a different note...I raised this 2 or 3 years ago when Nino flatted and had issues. .....do they run skimmed tyres made from silk pajamas to save weight and rolling resistance? It's just my opinion but I'd rather go with a slightly beefier tyre with better puncture resistance and know I should be ok for the stage.

Nino rides Maxxis Aspen 2.4 front (EXO protection) and Aspen RT rear (also EXO protection) - so on the marathon stage races I believe they do get the extra protection tires

I think Gerald is good, he certainly is informed and passionate about cycling, an avid mtb'er, and a consummate sports broadcasting professional, one needs an lead / anchor like that.

Rob on the other hand ... think I will tune into the German channel this year.

15 minutes ago, M L said:

Nino rides Maxxis Aspen 2.4 front (EXO protection) and Aspen RT rear (also EXO protection) - so on the marathon stage races I believe they do get the extra protection tires

I don't touch Maxxis, so in my book they are to blame, LOL 

15 minutes ago, M L said:

From what I hear they are either skimmed or not Stock tyres?

1 minute ago, OVERDRIVE said:

I don't touch Maxxis, so in my book they are to blame, LOL 

I ride Maxxis and nothing else. I weigh 105kg and ride mostly single track with some gnarly rocks and thorns and use 1 to 2 plugs a year.