Absa Cape Epic 2022

JohanDiv

It's nto about how much you weigh or the tyre weighs (that obviously makes an impact ) 

Its more about how you use the tyre , I'm dead sure Nino is pushing his tyres harder than 99% of us on the hub 

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

It's nto about how much you weigh or the tyre weighs (that obviously makes an impact ) 

Its more about how you use the tyre , I'm dead sure Nino is pushing his tyres harder than 99% of us on the hub 

I don't mtb but I am not sure about that, a lot of what I have heard on the road is that it is often the amateur that pushes the tyre too far or to greater extremes because they handle it badly than the professional who pushes the tyre close to the limit but never over it. 

What do you guys know about the Megamo bikes?

Looks almost like a Vipa Ultra, with flex stays and not the storage.

Willier launched their new mtb last year and stacking the pro field.

Hope for a few bike checks this year.

Is their a purple Canyon? 

Edited by DJuice

57 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I don't mtb but I am not sure about that, a lot of what I have heard on the road is that it is often the amateur that pushes the tyre too far or to greater extremes because they handle it badly than the professional who pushes the tyre close to the limit but never over it. 

we forget that these guys are rising at 30km/hr over terrain most amateurs are only riding at 18km/hr. They're descending at over 70km/hr while we re crapping breakfast at 45km/hr.

They're using a 36T chainring to gear down for endurance and were the only people to ride up all the trails today. Those tyre take a massive beating BUT they're properly seated, properly inflated and new tyres every 2nd day at least.

The biggest factor here is SPEED. The more energy you take into an obstacle the more the tyre has to absorb the closer it is operating at its limit

20 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

we forget that these guys are rising at 30km/hr over terrain most amateurs are only riding at 18km/hr. They're descending at over 70km/hr while we re crapping breakfast at 45km/hr.

They're using a 36T chainring to gear down for endurance and were the only people to ride up all the trails today. Those tyre take a massive beating BUT they're properly seated, properly inflated and new tyres every 2nd day at least.

The biggest factor here is SPEED. The more energy you take into an obstacle the more the tyre has to absorb the closer it is operating at its limit

You're not wrong... But today's puncture was on a slow uphill section.

It is mountain biking, and things go wrong, regardless of the speed.

I'll bet Nino wasn't the only person to get a puncture today, and many people slower than him will get punctures/cuts going over the same terrain as him before the week is out.

Interesting and tough day.. I filled up bottle and camelback at the waterpoint just before the big climb and still managed to run dry halfway up. That left me without fluids for almost an hour and a half to the next waterpoint. Was impossible to ride up that climb with everyone walking up(not that I think I would've been able to ride to the top anyways in this +45 degrees heat!), but that took way longer than expected. Started cramping, not heavy, could spin through most of the cramps, but cramped all the way to the finish no matter how many crampblocks and fluids I took onboard.

Partner took two tumbles and we spent quite a bit of tome at the medics to sort him out.

So all in all we suffered properly today!

Our moving time was less than 7hrs, but took us 8hrs30min to get over the line.

My partner went to the medi-clinic tent to check out his wounds. While we were there I just asked them if they have something to help with my cramps.. long story short, I'm currently lying in Mediclinic ER with possible kidney failure and I think their pulling me from the race.. waiting for a second bloodtest to make sure.

I'm so pissed at this moment that I asked them for something for the cramps! It wasn't that bad, I've had it way worse in the past and I wouldn't even consider asking if my partner wasn't at the tent at the moment! Definitely other people today that looked way worse than me! Legs actually feel good, it was just a bit of cramps! 

Even if I can ride, wasting time sitting around at hospital instead of preparing, recovery and sleeping now!

9 minutes ago, JohanDiv said:

Interesting and tough day.. I filled up bottle and camelback at the waterpoint just before the big climb and still managed to run dry halfway up. That left me without fluids for almost an hour and a half to the next waterpoint. Was impossible to ride up that climb with everyone walking up(not that I think I would've been able to ride to the top anyways in this +45 degrees heat!), but that took way longer than expected. Started cramping, not heavy, could spin through most of the cramps, but cramped all the way to the finish no matter how many crampblocks and fluids I took onboard.

Partner took two tumbles and we spent quite a bit of tome at the medics to sort him out.

My partner went to the medi-clinic tent to check out his wounds. While we were there I just asked them if they have something to help with my cramps.. long story short, I'm currently lying in Mediclinic ER with possible kidney failure and I think their pulling me from the race.. waiting for a second bloodtest to make sure.

I'm so pissed at this moment that I asked them for something for the cramps! It wasn't that bad, I've had it way worse in the past and I wouldn't even consider asking if my partner wasn't at the tent at the moment! Definitely other people today that looked way worse than me! Legs actually feel good, it was just a bit of cramps! 

Even if I can ride, wasting time sitting around at hospital instead of preparing, recovery and sleeping now!

Rhabdo is not your friend. Hope it's not the case and that you can ride tomorrow. 

16 minutes ago, JohanDiv said:

sh&t what the prognosis? This happened to me in 2016. Hope you bloods come back ok and you're good to go

21 minutes ago, Trashy said:

You're not wrong... But today's puncture was on a slow uphill section.

It is mountain biking, and things go wrong, regardless of the speed.

I'll bet Nino wasn't the only person to get a puncture today, and many people slower than him will get punctures/cuts going over the same terrain as him before the week is out.

for sure Nino's puncture was likely due to a sharp stone or piece of metal in the grass another rider punctures in the same spot immediately after Nino.

1 hour ago, JohanDiv said:

its more tougher than we can imagine....hope the test come back ok....be guided by the medics...thanks for the honest race update...

1 hour ago, JohanDiv said:

Second test looks much better.. leaving hospital now. Have to report to medic tent at 6am for final test to clear me. 

If cleared, yet another tough day waiting with minimal sleep!

BEST wishes Johan !!

3 hours ago, JohanDiv said:

Second test looks much better.. leaving hospital now. Have to report to medic tent at 6am for final test to clear me. 

If cleared, yet another tough day waiting with minimal sleep!

Good luck Johan. I got pulled from the race due to kidney issues and vomiting. It was brutal yesterday. Look after yourself. 

13 minutes ago, samson99 said:

Good luck Johan. I got pulled from the race due to kidney issues and vomiting. It was brutal yesterday. Look after yourself. 

tough one, same happened to me in 2016, looking back at it they made the right decision, but it is really shite dealing with it now. Good luck and heal well.