JohanDiv

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

I'm looking at it as women as a whole. 

I think the racing field is thin because most ladies are still in pre season mode and unless you're Annike or PfP this is not the right setting for a pre season block. I also think team budget and backing comes into play too.

Most XCO teams simply don't have the budget to throw at an out of season race that isn't 'that' complimentary to the XCO focus. 

I reckon there are cheaper, more effective ways for the ladies to get a healthy pre season block in without the risk of Epic

Many of the ladies teams have done stage races in Europe instead. Med Epic for example. More competition depth and cheaper to attend (as budget was mentioned) 

2 hours ago, wolver said:

Anyone know if the pro's have bonuses written into their contracts for stage wins/podiums?

Just watching the women's finish now there wasn't much of a fight/sprint and it got me wondering if it's just for pride.

Its a stage win at Epic. Free or not its a big thing for a cv. 

Just now, J Wakefield said:

Many of the ladies teams have done stage races in Europe instead. Med Epic for example. More competition depth and cheaper to attend (as budget was mentioned) 

That's the answer. Instead of packing up a whole support team etc and taking an expensive trip to Africa, stay (mostly local), close to their teams, doctors etc and do the same thing there.

That makes a lot more sense to me

4 hours ago, openmind said:

Not sure what you mean. I paid full retail for the tyres and they work well. Happy customer. All I meant to say with my post was that the Aspens are not a bad choice for the Epic. Nino either just had really bad luck or he has some custom version of the tyre that is less durable than the stock version, which obviously then was a bad choice. 

You raced them at Epic and had same handling conditions? 

1 minute ago, J Wakefield said:

You raced them at Epic and had same handling conditions? 

I have not done the Epic, but I raced them in last year's Wines2Whales and have been using them ever since. I live in Stellenbosch and ride all the local trails (incl. Jonkershoek) and they are fantastic. I don't think the Epic is harder on gear than that. I am pretty gobsmacked myself as I thought I was taking a chance with them on W2W, but they were flawless. Much more grip than I expected. No sidewall issues. I previously rode Icon/Ardent Race and Schwalbe RRs before that. These are faster (according to my Strava segments) wil no downsides (except mud!).

13 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

Its a stage win at Epic. Free or not its a big thing for a cv. 

For sure! Just wondering how the contracts work and how much teams/sponsors value the additional exposure they get for stage wins.

5 minutes ago, wolver said:

For sure! Just wondering how the contracts work and how much teams/sponsors value the additional exposure they get for stage wins.

Stage win for exposure and personal is big for any rider or team, it sometimes carries a team into the next season or helps that rider negotiate better on the next contract. However, it is not there for a stage win on 97% of the teams. 

Epic is typically a overall GC Bonus only and also in a very few teams only. 

To win a stage is often better than coming 5th overall on GC

Edited by J Wakefield

5 minutes ago, wolver said:

this also isnt SX with heat race wins or moto bonus's 

1 minute ago, J Wakefield said:

this also isnt SX with heat race wins or moto bonus's 

Haha... clearly Mike Genova doesn't run a mtb team 🤑

5 hours ago, openmind said:

Not sure what you mean. I paid full retail for the tyres and they work well. Happy customer. All I meant to say with my post was that the Aspens are not a bad choice for the Epic. Nino either just had really bad luck or he has some custom version of the tyre that is less durable than the stock version, which obviously then was a bad choice. 

Lol am saying I’m sheep and I follow the hype. So when I see something breaking on tv on the pros I run away🤣

I searched but could not find anything... Is there a Bikes of the Epic Thread yet?

Edited by IMan777

1 hour ago, IMan777 said:

I searched but could not find anything... Is there a Bikes of the Epic Thread yet?

Nope, no bike checks from last year on Bikehub.

The source from last year has also not posted any new articles.

Is Baaart B of American Eagle racing in the Masters again? sorry could of course dig deep on the interwebs for the answer but maybe someone knows, he normally brings a few of his team as well and having heard a bleep in that regard so maybe not