SuzieK

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Any news ?????

Remember I asked, when do other people start asking the WTF did I sign up for... Well I drove the course this afternoon (with a vehicle that has a diesel engine and an automatic transmission), my arse got sore at the 150km mark and I knew the answer to the above question for myself.

On 6/24/2022 at 9:01 PM, Mamil said:

If you do it on a gravel bike there's a very nice gravel ride back to Cape town via darling, along the railway line to kalbaskraal to the northern suburbs .... It could be an audax.

Nice route that, did it a few years ago, seemed like friendly folk down toward Chatsworth, living close to the railway line, just getting on with life

hahaha 

I shot my shot with a young fellow called Jerry from the neutral zone but my legs exploded harder than a lego man with a TomThumb shoved up his butt at 157km.

The 2 elite ladies passed soon afterward absolutely flying. 

I soft pedalled to the finish and was the very definition of going nowhere alone into the headwind for the last 35km.. It was rad. Different, but rad.

Riding around Cape Town I was definitely NOT ready for flat roads like that. I think I changed gears 15 times (hyperbole for efect). It was a bit like riding an IDT into a headwind all day. Here we have climbs and descents where you change body position, freewheel down the hill and lean into corners etc.... There? Probably about 3 very short (200m to 400m) sections where you could stop pedalling.

Sid came past me with 20km to go looking strong. 4 or 5 of the elite batch. They had torn it to shreds on the climb up to Picketberg. 

Pretty awesome day out. WAY out of my comfort zone, but I might try to get fitter (and get my eating right @bleedToWin you can definitely say I told you so) and go back to a few more of these.

Thanks for an awesome day out everyone. The gees was top notch

I made it to the 174km mark (according to my watch gps), when i was confronted by this mountain that looked something conjured up in the depths of Mordor.  Head wind that might have found a place in Moses plagues during his time in Egypt. The body and mind is like Frankenstein's monster before the two were connected. The one say go, the other say, fook off... Signals between the two got so mixed, it made the Covid task team looked like a professional organisation

Eventually both mind and legs came to the realisation that this mountain from mordor still meant there is about three hours left, thats when the arse started sharing his views and chimed in too. Arse made it very clear that since he was not consulted in all this, he will initiate plan sabotage.

Plan sabotage resulted in hell from the saddle. Standing up resulted in opperation custard with jelly, the brain child of legs. Meanwhile, brain was doing calculus, combined with Euclidean mathematics, thrown in some string theory to demonstrate that resisitance is futile and the only future left is with borg collective. QED.

Thats when i played the rocky motivation speech to these miscreants, "life will hit much harder than me, it doesnt matter how many times its hit you down, all that matters is that you stand up". And then eyes, looked up, and said: " Dude that aint life, that is Mordor!" And i had no arguments left.

So yeah, in summary, a hell of a ride, and will be back next week.

Edited by Denis Dell

Fueled with one of the best Risottos I've ever had the pleasure of eating from Chez @lechatnoirI mooched along with Group 2 until the hills before Piketberg where for once, courtesy a slightly slower group than I'm usually seeded in, and the kind of hill (stays below 7% and has flat ruskansies at key moments) I ended up in a somewhat dysfunctional group of 4 riders off the front of the main peloton.

There was one guy who solo'd from the start and another that dangled in front of us (why I don't know) and so this crew of 4 mamils occupied positions 3 to 6 in the group. I had one of those glory moments when I realised I was in a break off the front rather than the back for a change and I had my eye on the podium. 3rd in group 2. 

AND I was sure I would catch @Jewbacca

At 90 I punctured and was just using the last warmth in my hands to unfreeze the bomb from the valve when the main group 2 peloton whizzed by. 

I set about chasing them back (optimistic I know) when another puncture 2km shy of Redlinghuys put paid to that dream.

This time I removed the tyre completely and inspected it more thoroughly than the first one (I stopped looking as soon as I found a tiny filament of wire embedded in the rubber on the first one) and finding nothing, reinflated the tyre convinced that it would deflate again.

It didn't although to be frank I wouldn't have really minded if it had because that would have given me a valid reason to stop and send the SOS whatsapp - and I solo'd 130 km to the end.

The hill at Redlinghuys is horrible. I suspect I saw @Denis Dellgetting into the car with his wife. 

The wind was tame by South Easter standards but nagged just enough to make efforts to increase speed futile and painful.

Couldn't have finished it without my soigneurs.

Tough riding out there on a beautiful day. Nowhere to hide and no free kilometers at all.

To the organisers - super event, great spirit on the road, I'll do it again if you offer it again.

BUT - no water available between km 126 and the end means if you don't have people supporting you or can rely on the kindness of the larger team's support, the day could become unpleasant, bordering on impossible. Easily remedied by having a table with 2 people and 3 50 liter kegs.

4 hours ago, Mamil said:

Fueled with one of the best Risottos I've ever had the pleasure of eating from Chez @lechatnoirI mooched along with Group 2 until the hills before Piketberg where for once, courtesy a slightly slower group than I'm usually seeded in, and the kind of hill (stays below 7% and has flat ruskansies at key moments) I ended up in a somewhat dysfunctional group of 4 riders off the front of the main peloton.

There was one guy who solo'd from the start and another that dangled in front of us (why I don't know) and so this crew of 4 mamils occupied positions 3 to 6 in the group. I had one of those glory moments when I realised I was in a break off the front rather than the back for a change and I had my eye on the podium. 3rd in group 2. 

AND I was sure I would catch @Jewbacca

At 90 I punctured and was just using the last warmth in my hands to unfreeze the bomb from the valve when the main group 2 peloton whizzed by. 

I set about chasing them back (optimistic I know) when another puncture 2km shy of Redlinghuys put paid to that dream.

This time I removed the tyre completely and inspected it more thoroughly than the first one (I stopped looking as soon as I found a tiny filament of wire embedded in the rubber on the first one) and finding nothing, reinflated the tyre convinced that it would deflate again.

It didn't although to be frank I wouldn't have really minded if it had because that would have given me a valid reason to stop and send the SOS whatsapp - and I solo'd 130 km to the end.

The hill at Redlinghuys is horrible. I suspect I saw @Denis Dellgetting into the car with his wife. 

The wind was tame by South Easter standards but nagged just enough to make efforts to increase speed futile and painful.

Couldn't have finished it without my soigneurs.

Tough riding out there on a beautiful day. Nowhere to hide and no free kilometers at all.

To the organisers - super event, great spirit on the road, I'll do it again if you offer it again.

BUT - no water available between km 126 and the end means if you don't have people supporting you or can rely on the kindness of the larger team's support, the day could become unpleasant, bordering on impossible. Easily remedied by having a table with 2 people and 3 50 liter kegs.

I heard that the guy with two flats pulled out... Hell if i knew there were still riders behind me i would have walked up mordor. But the race organiser said i was last man on the road.  The group you are talking about that was four mtb right