Good internet speed for using Zwift?

Tri-till-you-die

Hi guys

I want to start using Zwift soon. I have yet to get Wi-Fi and wanted to know if 50mbs both up and down is sufficient? I live alone and we have fibre in the area.No one else will be using the Wi-Fi .

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi,

I currently use 50mbs up and down and I haven't had any issues. I have multiple people who use the Wi-Fi at the same time and it performs well.
You will find a slight lag sometimes but that is mostly due to being in SA rather than internet speeds.

3 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

I've used zwift before on a 10mb line with min 6 people using the wifi. No issues with what I was using. I'm no expert, but maybe higher wifi would have smoother zwift play?

Me too; no issues.

For me, the device (2012 MacBook Pro) is the limiting factor in my house, although an iPhone 11 works 100%, albeit a bit too small to see the details.

their official support says minimum 3mb line...and that you need to ping under 50ms.

a 50/50 line should be ok, but more is ALWAYS better...AND, As mentioned, yes...lots of factors determine actuall speed. Fastest possible connection means using a LAN cable straight into the router from whatever is running swift imo. as little as one singleskin brick wall between you and the wifi point can cut your speed on the device by half. also....Get a 5ghz router. put all the leaches on your network on the bloated 2.4ghz and reserve 5ghz for yourself lol. 

+1 for a wired connection straight to your router or a 5GHz band. The less devices you have running on the 2.4Ghz band around the trainer, the better. The ANT signals are in the 2.4GHz range and it can sometimes cause interference and dropouts with your training devices.

Furthermore, Zwift is not very data intensive. You do therefore not need a line with a super high speed but rather a stable connection and a good ping rate. The average data usage for Zwift can range from 50MB to 200Mb per hour

20 minutes ago, Bondinator said:

+1 for a wired connection straight to your router or a 5GHz band. The less devices you have running on the 2.4Ghz band around the trainer, the better. The ANT signals are in the 2.4GHz range and it can sometimes cause interference and dropouts with your training devices.

Furthermore, Zwift is not very data intensive. You do therefore not need a line with a super high speed but rather a stable connection and a good ping rate. The average data usage for Zwift can range from 50MB to 200Mb per hour

Can second this, often a "dirty environment" can cause issues with Zwift, we recommend to clients to change their router settings from 2.4GHz to 5GHz for a more stable connection.

Swift works perfectly well on an old ADSL 4Meg line.

If the line has a bad day you may see less "fellow riders" for a short period.  For the rest it works 100%.

Of all the different platforms Zwift certainly is the one with the lowest minimum requirement for the PC and connectivity. 

Having said that, a faster connection and a gamer PC DO deliver a "nicer picture".

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Like this?

cRjqyqia1Wirex3ukRCsDl_NzQUBAbm-6Ueh3wLu3PA-2048x1216.jpg

I have had it 2 or 3 times where the "list" on the right gets shorter, and you see less bikes.  Short while later the list is full length and all the riders are back.

This may be an issue if you want to race with a large group .... I have no idea if it will impact the final results.  

As I do solo rides, the total number of "other riders" on the route really is not a big thing for me.

23 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I have had it 2 or 3 times where the "list" on the right gets shorter, and you see less bikes.  Short while later the list is full length and all the riders are back.

Is that not when you change from one section of a route to another section?