Speed Company Racing win Absa Cape Epic in thrilling style

News bot

The Grand Finale of the 2022 Absa Cape Epic, The Race That Measures All, which finished at the Val de Vie Estate outside Paarl on Sunday, was the scene of an upset for the ages. Georg Egger and Lukas Baum of Speed Company Racing during stage 7 of the 2022 Absa Cape Epic Mountain. Photo […]

View full article

After starting to follow their story for a couple days I was already impressed that they were in the top 3. 

After what they achieved the past 2 days being privateers with no backup I am so happy for them I'm not even sad that "my" guy's had so much bad luck 👌🏻

Just imagine what they will achieve with the support from a team like Spez or Scott. 

9 hours ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

After starting to follow their story for a couple days I was already impressed that they were in the top 3. 

After what they achieved the past 2 days being privateers with no backup I am so happy for them I'm not even sad that "my" guy's had so much bad luck 👌🏻

Just imagine what they will achieve with the support from a team like Spez or Scott. 

I do not think the will be better with a pro set-up. They currently have a huge hunger and drive to prove themselves. Once they sit comfy, that will be gone. This is the problem with professional sport.

15 minutes ago, ichnusa said:

I do not think the will be better with a pro set-up. They currently have a huge hunger and drive to prove themselves. Once they sit comfy, that will be gone. This is the problem with professional sport.

I wasn't talking about sitting comfortably, I was saying just imagine in this race if they had mechanics, dietician and support so they only had to worry about racing and not who's going to fix the bikes what are they going to eat and all the other jazz...

6 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

I wasn't talking about sitting comfortably, I was saying just imagine in this race if they had mechanics, dietician and support so they only had to worry about racing and not who's going to fix the bikes what are they going to eat and all the other jazz...

One article stated that your team made available on of their mechanics for them.

Kudo`s to Scott!

Still an unbelievable achievement by SCR.

Now to look up my high school friend for the local kerk basaar rodeo.

This year I was a bit over following the Epic story. I watched bits of Stage 6 when they rode Jonkershoek and then on Sunday I watched SCR take the race by the scruff of the neck and eke out an unlikely win. This made the race alive for me, to see how hard they were pushing that at times even Nino was having trouble keeping up. Very impressive win by these lads and they can rightly be super proud of what they achieved. The pace these guys maintained while going up some steep climbs was humbling to say the least.

26 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

Things would've been a lot more comfortable, but the preasure to win would have been much higher.

1 hour ago, ichnusa said:

Wout, Tadej, Matthieu, Pidcock, Hirschi, O'Connor etc are all proof that getting comfy doesn't diminish the drive.

It may in some but it is definitely not a geberal problem in pro cycling....

3 hours ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

Well they seemed pretty well organised. They had their cooking set up sorted (dad) , they cleaned their bikes and checked the mechanics everyday and then stores them, serviced mid race and then hammered again. 
they had massage 

I think what they showed is is just how overblown the weekend warrior has made competing in the cape epic. 
do we need a b&b option?

Why not bring it all back to the race village  and just offer better tents .

Now before peeps lose their @&£? We need everyone interested to be participating and that includes the corporate’s, the excellent footage doesn’t come cheap. Keeping those choppers up i the air costs at least R3500 an hour so keeping sponsors happy is obviously important.

but, with all the razzmatazz the gees has gone. Weekend warriors don’t chat while washing their bikes, or help each other with repairs , mechanics are doing that. There’s definitely something to be gained by going back to basics but how far back?

lastly, those tents need to be binned and replaced by new and bigger tents. Come on, at least provide a tent a rider can stand up inside so why not large two man tents like at Sani2c?

Edited by DieselnDust
revised R-22 running cost for filming platform closer to R3500 /hr

11 hours ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

If Bulls want to compete with the top guys again they should probably make a move, being German and all...

12 hours ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

Hmmmmm...

These are no mickey mouse okes off the street. These okes were well prepared, race and compete on an international level with some top results recently. 

Yes you def cannot compare their budget and backup support against the top teams but in terms of ability its quite clear zi germans and right up there.

Coupled with less bad luck (no major bike/tyre issue and they stayed healthy) than their rivals, they came out deserved champs.

Hats off to them!!!

As Gerald quoted "they took the how to race the Cape Epic handbook and tore it to shreds".

2 minutes ago, babse said:

Hmmmmm...

These are no mickey mouse okes off the street. These okes were well prepared, race and compete on an international level with some top results recently. 

Yes you def cannot compare their budget and backup support against the top teams but in terms of ability its quite clear zi germans and right up there.

Coupled with less bad luck (no major bike/tyre issue and they stayed healthy) than their rivals, they came out deserved champs.

Hats off to them!!!

As Gerald quoted "they took the how to race the Cape Epic handbook and tore it to shreds".

Where did I say these are Mickey mouse?? 

Obviously they are well prepared, obviously they are on the same level...

All I said was just think what they could have done with the same backup. 

17 minutes ago, babse said:

Hmmmmm...

Hats off to them!!!

Not only that but they also played a good long game. They took a knock down the pecking order on Stage 1 and Stage 2 and that allowed them to save legs while others were suffering digestive system troubles. They went back to the basics of riding themselves into the race and therefore having more energy at the end of the week.

Overall, they used common sense and made a mockery of the go hard and defend strategy