Smart trainers, recommendations please!

Newbie321

So with winter fast approaching I've been considering getting a smart trainer and using it with my head unit or some of the apps out there. What do you have? Which do you recommend? Do you actually use it?

I've been looking at the Kickr core and Saris h3. The Kickr core seems like it might have compatibility issue with my frame and the specs are slightly lower than the h3. So kinda leaning into the h3 but apparently it's not as polished as the kickr (cadence and accuracy). Any other suggestions?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of Kickr's out there and apparently there after sales service is great.
I've never had an issue with my Kickr so I've never used their after sales service.

The Tacx Neo is also a great trainer.

If you can get a Neo, get the Neo otherwise get a Kickr.

The Saris have an bad reviews, don't know if they've fixed their issues.

My vote goes to the Elite Suito. Great trainer that folds up nice and small when Summer comes around. I have an Elite Zumo and it's not given me a minute of trouble.

* btw no one is going to say I have an xyz trainer and it's total shirt so your entire thread is essentially a survey on market share.. 

Edited by Duane_Bosch

5 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

My vote goes to the Elite Suito. Great trainer that folds up nice and small when Summer comes around. I have an Elite Zumo and it's not given me a minute of trouble.

* btw no one is going to say I have an xyz trainer and it's total shirt so your entire thread is essentially a survey on market share.. 

Yeah Elite Suito...I have one for sale too 😉

6 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

To be fair the pessimist party may arrive to shirt on the chosen company of the week. It is Friday after all.

7 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

On the contrary!!

I HATE my TacX Flux 2.. It Makes me all sweaty and tired, even with an aircon and fan in front of me..

I got my wife a JetBlack Volt, just as capable as my previous TacX Flux S but cheaper..

Mid level trainer is the way to IMO.. Around the R16k mark..

I have a Kickr 4. As has been pointed out, the local support is great! I've used it 3 times!! Super-helpful, but THREE TIMES! but i think they have resolved the issues now. the past 2 years have been faultlessly reliable

Be sure to make sure your connectivity to the trainer is rock solid, but that goes for any trainer.

38 minutes ago, throttles said:

On the contrary!!

I HATE my TacX Flux 2.. It Makes me all sweaty and tired, even with an aircon and fan in front of me..

I got my wife a JetBlack Volt, just as capable as my previous TacX Flux S but cheaper..

Mid level trainer is the way to IMO.. Around the R16k mark..

My Tacx Flow is ***, I'm selling it btw 🤣

Looking to upgrade for a direct drive now that I have a shimano drivetrain it should be easier ;)

1 minute ago, Jbr said:

My Tacx Flow is ***, I'm selling it btw 🤣

Looking to upgrade for a direct drive now that I have a shimano drivetrain it should be easier ;)

TacX Flux 2 is direct drive.. 😁

The Jetblack Volt comes with an 11spd Shimano cassette installed. 😇

1 hour ago, Newbie321 said:

So with winter fast approaching I've been considering getting a smart trainer and using it with my head unit or some of the apps out there. What do you have? Which do you recommend? Do you actually use it?

I've been looking at the Kickr core and Saris h3. The Kickr core seems like it might have compatibility issue with my frame and the specs are slightly lower than the h3. So kinda leaning into the h3 but apparently it's not as polished as the kickr (cadence and accuracy). Any other suggestions?

Rather get a warmer kit and go hit the trails.

25 minutes ago, Super Sywurm said:

Rather get a warmer kit and go hit the trails.

What about the rainy days or the windy days? :P

Thanks for the suggestions!

3 hours ago, Newbie321 said:

What on your frame would make it incompatible?
It comes with both quick release and thru axle adaptors, and can take most cassette sizes.

Do you have one of these frames?

2021 Trek Emonda.
2020-2021 Trek Domane & Madone.
2021 Giant TCR Advanced Pro.
2020 Cervelo S5.
2019-2021 Canyon Ultimate CF SL/SLX/CFR rim brake models*
   *Fix pending final approval from Canyon.

Edited by Frosty

7 minutes ago, Frosty said:

What on your frame would make it incompatible?
It comes with both quick release and thru axle adaptors, and can take most cassette sizes.

Do you have one of these frames?

2021 Trek Emonda.
2020-2021 Trek Domane & Madone.
2021 Giant TCR Advanced Pro.
2020 Cervelo S5.
2019-2021 Canyon Ultimate CF SL/SLX/CFR rim brake models*
   *Fix pending final approval from Canyon.

I have a 2021 Trek Emonda alr 5. From googling I could not find whether it's only the carbon frames or all frames. Might just go into my LBS and ask them if I could test fit on one of their Kickr/Core trainers and whether they would be able to source the new adapters in a reasonable time frame.

Edited by Newbie321

Can't speak to the cadence issues mentioned for the H3, although there have been a few firmware updates for the trainer so could have been improved. I connect apps to the cadence sensor on my bike.
Mine's given me no issues, and DC Rainmaker likes it for ERG mode workouts.

Minor annoyance is that my Scott's rear thru-axle level bumps against the trainer, so putting the bike on or taking it off the trainer takes ever so slightly longer than it would with a cam-style level.