best locally available mtb hand pump

Shebeen

I'm not looking for the one you have, but the one your buddy has that gets you jealous when you use it.

I had to adjust the title to blank out this obvious one, because paying R2k for a pump and not even getting breakfast is not my style.

This thread says get this lezyne on (from SWH here

I'd be happy to pay the R500 for this however I used one on a trip recently and was a little bit underwhelmed. The main pump handle hits the shaft on every single stroke which is disconcerting. it also is very short stroke which means it goes slowly and gets bloody hot.

so, what have you got for me? 

edit: as it is with tubeless, i think handpumps with hoses are the only option. the standard ones with the head buildinto the body messa round with your valve too much for my liking!

Edited by Shebeen

I had a Lezyne pump. It worked well for a while and I thought it was the be-all and end-all of pumps as per everyone's sentiment towards the brand. And then on one unlucky day I had to pump my tyre, so I screwed on the hose and pumped the tyre up and then, as one would, I unscrewed it again. But on this unlucky day, that hose kept unscrewing the valve core and for the life of me I couldn't get it to not unscrew the valve core. Tried using it once or twice after that and decided the Lezyne pump design is a ride ender for me. 

Funny enough, my brother swears by them and never has issues. But I have friends that ditched the Lezyne hose idea for the same reason as me, so I'm not alone. 

I now have a Blackburn Airstick SL. Which looks like it won't ever do the job, but I find it more than adequate on mtb rides and pumping fairly large 2.6 tyres. I'd rather spend more time pumping and knowing I won't be unscrewing my valve core than the other way around. And it's super low profile. 

The OneUp but it is aroud R1000.

Otherwise Crank bros pumps have served me well since 2004.

all my friends are envious of my CB pumps that just work (as long as I remember to pack one...)

I trust this one LEZYNE PRESSURE DRIVE S 120PSI , used it this morning to help someone out, the hose is great as it keeps the valve from taking the wiggling.

Wouldn't go anywhere without it.

Takealot has various models in stock

New convert to the Lyzene hose pumps.

Used it on Saturday to get a fellow rider going trail side.

VERY happy with it .... touch wood

I use a Topeak one. Can't recall which model it is now.but similar price to the Lezyne offerings. Use it on a gravel wheel...35c. Works great, but before had a cheap R50 pump that was so frustrating to use. I learnt with pumps that it's best to not be shy of paying, even if it's rarely used...the day you need it, pumping a flat must not steal ones joy. Haha

I have had a few expensive name brands and none of them lasted and worked well .Then i bought one of those cheap plastic jobs that cost the same as two coffees .If you keep it clean and by that i mean don,t keep it on your bike exposed to the elements ,it works fine .Even if you give it away in race ,it is so cheap to replace .Raleigh or Ryder brand Concept Apex Bike Pump, product, variation 1

Edited by eala

The Giant pumps work well. Heavier and bulkier than some counterparts, but they work.

23 minutes ago, babse said:

Bike mounted? looks a tad big for back pocket 

Bike mounted.