MTB cleated shoe repair

Evening Bikehub!

i have multiple pairs of cleated shoes that the hard bottom that has separated from the shoe. 

can you please suggest a place in Jozi or PTA that can glue/nail/staple whatever to get my shoes back into shape?

thank you!

I have repaired a few pairs with small brass nuts and bolts. Drill a small pilot hole, push the bolt through from the inside. Smear some shoe glue on the separated pieces. Once it is tightened up, cut off the bit of the bolt that sticks out. Paint the brass black with some nail polish. Need about 4 or 5 bolts per shoe. If you get it repaired at a shop, it will never hold for long.

56 minutes ago, Martin PJ said:

I have repaired a few pairs with small brass nuts and bolts. Drill a small pilot hole, push the bolt through from the inside. Smear some shoe glue on the separated pieces. Once it is tightened up, cut off the bit of the bolt that sticks out. Paint the brass black with some nail polish. Need about 4 or 5 bolts per shoe. If you get it repaired at a shop, it will never hold for long.

Could you not just glue it with contact adhesive and compress with weight? The thought of bolts & nuts sends shivers    😃 

Use small m3 bolts with flattish top. You don't even notice them.. Once you have dirt on a surface, it will never form a decent bond. I have tried glue alone. A mate of mine had a cobbler repair one of his pairs of shoes, didn't last too long.

31 minutes ago, Wil6 said:

Glue does not hold. Only thing to do is to use screws with glue, or to use bolts as Martin said

It's not really a bolt. I think I may create the wrong impression. Like this, countersunk screw with a small nut. Cut it short once it is in, glue the shoe as well.

image.png.6d792042b4291361702190c427fff299.png

11 hours ago, Martin PJ said:

It's not really a bolt. I think I may create the wrong impression. Like this, countersunk screw with a small nut. Cut it short once it is in, glue the shoe as well.

image.png.6d792042b4291361702190c427fff299.png

This makes sense! Thank you. Will give it a shot cause it seems like such a waste to have to throw these shoes out.

If in Cape Town, take it to Durasole in Wynberg, speak to Mr Parbo. They have been in the shoe business for generations and know their stuff. They use a heat activated bonding process that is not available for DIY. They have on occasion also stitched soles, that were only glued by the manufacturer, to the uppers for some of my boots. They have resuscitated many favourite hardworking hiking and flyfishing boots as well as rock climbing shoes for me over many years and they repair shoes better than anyone else. The true test for a sole glue happens on our freestone trout streams where your wading boots must first hike and climb a few kilometres and then spend the day rock hopping and wading in the stream on round slippery stones before hiking back out to the car.........if they survive that, you know you have a good repair. 

http://www.durasole.co.za/durasole-contact-details.html

But I like the stainless or brass screws / nuts idea and may just try it next time.

Edited by DJR