Best light

Henryfeather

Hi all and thank you in advance.

I'm sure this has been questioned a million times.

What is the best bar mount light ,available,in term of spread of shine,durability of battery,back up service,etc etc.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Road or trails ?

To be seen by other road users, OR to light up the road ahead of you ?

Do you want a "spot" or a "spread" light ?

How long must the battery last ?

Crazy how many options we have now.

My recommendation is for "Extreme lights".  What ever your needs, they have it.

10 hours ago, Henryfeather said:

What is the best bar mount light ,available,in term of spread of shine,durability of battery,back up service,etc etc.

Extreme lights!

Just to add another consideration, are you wanting a light which mounts under your computer, without a battery pack?

I have the Bontrager lights that fit under my Garmin, and they are a neat, self contained option which doesn't require a separate battery pack. These work for me on the road, as well as the MTB, as they are able to provide light for several hours in high mode. They also work very well in flash mode and make you visible from a long way out.

The other option is the Garmin UT800 front light.

11 hours ago, Henryfeather said:

That's like asking what the best bakkie is, and optimistically waiting for a non subjective answer. You need to be a bit more specific as to what your needs are.

Best is none existent, its entirely subjective to your specific needs. 

Ito of backup, ease of use and quality of build a few brands offer a range of solutions. 

Bontrager, Lezyne, Extreme Lights, Ryder, Specialized or Gloworm are a good place to start. 

As mentioned though, very subjective as to what you're wanting to do.

Check out the Ravemen lights, available from a few places. I got the PR1600, cuz the PR1200 was out of stock @ Evobikes. It's been great so far, but I've only used it 2-3 times so far. Extremely well built, and bright, of course:

58639300-1-zoom.jpeg

2 hours ago, Schnavel said:

Just to add another consideration, are you wanting a light which mounts under your computer, without a battery pack?

I have the Bontrager lights that fit under my Garmin, and they are a neat, self contained option which doesn't require a separate battery pack. These work for me on the road, as well as the MTB, as they are able to provide light for several hours in high mode. They also work very well in flash mode and make you visible from a long way out.

The other option is the Garmin UT800 front light.

Do you possibly have a photo or even a link to these lights.  Certainly sound like a neat and compact solution.

I have been using the Garmin UT800 in conjunction with the rear light with radar RTL515. This is a fantastic combination to see with and be seen. But you will need to take into account limited battery life on the front light. But you  buy yourself an extra 1.5 hours for early morning or late afternoon sessions at full power and 3 at medium. The lights link to your Garmin device or watch and you can set it to automatically adjust to conditions and your speed. It’s a game changer with the radar as well giving you a very good sense of where cars are, their speed etc. also mounts super neatly on the out front mount. 

Longer sessions you would need to look at a light with a larger battery pack. 

13 minutes ago, Murrob said:

I have been using the Garmin UT800 in conjunction with the rear light with radar RTL515. This is a fantastic combination to see with and be seen. But you will need to take into account limited battery life on the front light. But you  buy yourself an extra 1.5 hours for early morning or late afternoon sessions at full power and 3 at medium. The lights link to your Garmin device or watch and you can set it to automatically adjust to conditions and your speed. It’s a game changer with the radar as well giving you a very good sense of where cars are, their speed etc. also mounts super neatly on the out front mount. 

Longer sessions you would need to look at a light with a larger battery pack. 

sounds like this light is more suited to the road?

I have the varia radar and it's brilliant.