Going From Sram Level To Shimano Brakes

love2fly

On 5/13/2022 at 11:09 AM, love2fly said:

Ive had my brakes bled and re-bled and even from new they are at best mediocre.

And here sir is part of your problem

The answer to great brakes is to service and bleed your own brakes

Really not difficult and with a bit of practice not messy either.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, porqui said:

I've tried bleeding my previous generation Srams and after battling I now use my LBS who knows what he's doing

11 hours ago, Quagga said:

Have you ever tried SRAM?

I actually did, still prefer Shitmano.

imho the only instance where SCRAM got it better is AXS vs Di2, and I chose Archer D1x Trial because its much cheaper than both the big names and it "shift everything" .... :) 

24 minutes ago, TheoG said:

I actually did, still prefer Shitmano.

imho the only instance where SCRAM got it better is AXS vs Di2, and I chose Archer D1x Trial because its much cheaper than both the big names and it "shift everything" .... :) 

one thing we do agree on. Archer!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2022 at 5:07 PM, porqui said:

Just some feedback. And thanks Porqui for the suggestion. I found a OEM Sram Bleed Kit at a helluva good price. My last experience was Avid Elixir and the **** Quaxar bleed kit I had. After pi$$ing about 300ml of fluid on my patio I went to the LBS.

This time, thanks to Beeding Edge and a decent kit it went much better. I think that to get the best result you have to use a bit of logic and also do the "wash the caliper" step and repeat everything many times - giving it the time and the attention it deserves. The front are as good as they came from Cspe Cycles and the rears better than 2 trips to the LBS. Seems the rear will never be quite the same bite point as the front, maybe due to being further - LBS once said the hose swells a but - dunno about that. Maybe there's some residual air bubbles in the caliper which will exit if I remove the caliper and place the bleeding edge port as the highest point.

Thanks again Porqui ' you (at least suggested to the man he should learn to fish)!

5 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Just some feedback. And thanks Porqui for the suggestion. I found a OEM Sram Bleed Kit at a helluva good price. My last experience was Avid Elixir and the **** Quaxar bleed kit I had. After pi$$ing about 300ml of fluid on my patio I went to the LBS.

This time, thanks to Beeding Edge and a decent kit it went much better. I think that to get the best result you have to use a bit of logic and also do the "wash the caliper" step and repeat everything many times - giving it the time and the attention it deserves. The front are as good as they came from Cspe Cycles and the rears better than 2 trips to the LBS. Seems the rear will never be quite the same bite point as the front, maybe due to being further - LBS once said the hose swells a but - dunno about that. Maybe there's some residual air bubbles in the caliper which will exit if I remove the caliper and place the bleeding edge port as the highest point.

Thanks again Porqui ' you (at least suggested to the man he should learn to fish)!

Probably gonna get a lot of people disagreeing with me, but I like to bleed avid elexirs, they are simple and always feel lekker after you are done. I kinda dislike bleeding edge, but haven't used it enough to fairly judge.

1 minute ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Probably gonna get a lot of people disagreeing with me, but I like to bleed avid elexirs, they are simple and always feel lekker after you are done. I kinda dislike bleeding edge, but haven't used it enough to fairly judge.

1 minute ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Maybe it would have been easier if the nipple from the Quaxar kit didn't leak at the lever side. I must ad that the DOT51. wasn't an issue. Found that cheap too. 

7 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Maybe it would have been easier if the nipple from the Quaxar kit didn't leak at the lever side. I must ad that the DOT51. wasn't an issue. Found that cheap too. 

Yeah that was probably the problem. Otherwise they are pretty easy to bleed with minimal effort needed. Good to hear that you have learnt a useful new skill

9 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Yeah that was probably the problem. Otherwise they are pretty easy to bleed with minimal effort needed. Good to hear that you have learnt a useful new skill

The only issue was the first time I "sucked" at the lever end, the caliper syringe followed but after that I had the help it a tiny bit. Same with fronts but result good.

I rode many thousand km on XT/SLX and on Level TL/TLM.

Both are good if maintained well, and both a **** if not. You not have to bleed your brakes when they start feeling off, so actually should replace your entire brake fluid every now and then. 

I like better with Sram that you can take them apart easier and clean the internals if needed. You can also get spare parts. Not so for Shimano, which has always been a mystery to me.

1 hour ago, SCD said:

I rode many thousand km on XT/SLX and on Level TL/TLM.

Both are good if maintained well, and both a **** if not. You not have to bleed your brakes when they start feeling off, so actually should replace your entire brake fluid every now and then. 

I like better with Sram that you can take them apart easier and clean the internals if needed. You can also get spare parts. Not so for Shimano, which has always been a mystery to me.

Yip. I shake my head at the fact that Shimano aren't serviceable.