MTB holiday Garden Route

Steady Spin

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Matthys Beukes offers advice, take it... even better if he offers to drag you up the mountain .

As for the tech on Witfontein, there is some rocky gnar higher up and the odd drop and jump, but nothing that can't be b-lined.

I am planning a trip out that way again soon and will definitely be venturing up the mountain again.

My pick would be:

day 1. GRTP

day 2. Witfontein

day 3. GRTP

From Brenton on Sea that's a good hour's drive to Witfontein and probably half that to GRTP so you're close either way.

Unpopular opinion here i guess, but for me GRTP is okayish/average. As stated here on this thread its good if you like flow trails. It is however the closest to Sedgefield. So the drive would be the shortest.

Harkeville is a nice visit for me once in a while, the views there are incredible again nice flow (xco style) trails.

My favorite though is the concordia trails at the top of simola. Stuart, Dave, Jacques , Cobuse and co have built some really nice trails there. there's good variation of climbing trails some tight berms a few drop offs and gaps (ok only 1 or 2 and like maybe 1.5 meters max). its also really well looked after, contrary to my last trip to GRTP where i didn't get to ride the entire planned route as the signage was incomplete.

Albeit short, the phantom pass single track can also be super fun/tech/gnarly as you go faster... and perfect for shuttles if you can get a few guys together

Reading and seeing everything about George and Witfontein forces me to make sure my next trip i base in George and not Knysna as i usually do

Edited by Meezo
bad spelling and grammar... still but now i'm lazy

On 5/15/2022 at 8:30 AM, Steady Spin said:

We have to pick 3. 

Witfontein
Harkerville
GRTP
Cairnbrogie
Some random foresty gravel grinds 

Home base will be Sedgefield. 

if it's sedgefield you can do 7 passes from your doorstep.

The knysna/plett is easy to fit in offbike daytrip stuff too.

some inspiration here, there's a 2day mtb ride as part of the oyster festival

https://knysnacycle.co.za/

This is not getting any easier haha. 

4 days in a row of riding is going to be tough for us. We aren't used to that kind of climbing. 

1: GRTP is a definite
2: Harkerville is a definite
3: Cairnbrogie vs Witfontein is now the tricky one. 

23 hours ago, Matthys Beukes 87 said:

Witfontein is the most tech of them all but really good fun.

Give me a shout when you are in the area and need some pointers: 0836508141

I really appreciate the help. 

Will definitely give you a shout when we get close. 

16 minutes ago, Cycle Fan said:

Yip. That looks like you’re getting most of the fun stuff. Look out for a Black route called The Beast (top left of route map). It’s SUPER FUN. 

Thanks. Definitely excluding black routes on this trip. I want my fiance to enjoy everything with me. She is not ready for the harder blue and blacks.

11 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Thanks. Definitely excluding black routes on this trip. I want my fiance to enjoy everything with me. She is not ready for the harder blue and blacks.

There are plenty of B lines. We rode with guys who were novices and they handled it fine. Wherever you ride you’ll have fun!

enjoy!

IMO Harkeville is amazing for its views. Trails are stock standard.

Super keen on Witfontein next time on garden route.

Also saved Mr Beukes contact details for some bike site seeing.

GRTP IMHO was not great this last December. Route marking not great, and just an unkept feeling while riding, with more than one felled tree at head height, just an inch or two from the trail.

I won't be rushing there any time soon.

A nice and tough gravel ride is to start at the bottom of Simola hill then continue the Kom se Pad - clockwise, and at the R 339 turn right. Keep going until you are ready to turn back. Over 1600m elevation for 60km.

39 minutes ago, Blue Monster said:

GRTP IMHO was not great this last December. Route marking not great, and just an unkept feeling while riding, with more than one felled tree at head height, just an inch or two from the trail.

I won't be rushing there any time soon.

A nice and tough gravel ride is to start at the bottom of Simola hill then continue the Kom se Pad - clockwise, and at the R 339 turn right. Keep going until you are ready to turn back. Over 1600m elevation for 60km.

rode all the GRTP routes in March…all clearly marked and well maintained …. they also have great coffee and carrot cake there

6973A66D-A04D-4F31-9F2A-0B671DCACDA8.jpeg

Edited by guidodg